• Show
Clear All
  • Mr__Bill
    Veteran Member
    • May 2007
    • Tacoma, WA
    • BT3000

Elect. Outlet which way up?

It seems that it no longer matters which way is up, now you can have it anyway you like. They seem kind of neat but expensive and another thing to go wrong.

Found at Amazon

Bill, on the Sunny Oregon Coast
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

You know... The GFCI in my master bath is upside down... I realized that after I installed it... I don't want to go back and fix it...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2005
      • Independence, MO, USA.
      • bt3100

My understanding, in Canada, the ground is supposed to be up. (some commercial regulation I saw)

Here it doesn't matter, the most important thing, is to make it some standard that you know. (seen all up, all down, and one house the owner had the ground facing the direction the wire came from)
      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Alex Franke
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2007
        • Chapel Hill, NC
        • Ryobi BT3100

You could use a small motor and wire it up spin around while not in use... or heck, even while in use. That would be fun!

I always thought it would be cool if the receptacles were recessed within the wall allowing you to close (and even lock) the cover with only the cords exposed. But there's probably some building code against that...
        online at http://www.theFrankes.com
        while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
        "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• Alex Franke
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2007
          • Chapel Hill, NC
          • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
          Here it doesn't matter, the most important thing, is to make it some standard that you know.
          I read somewhere that 20 amp circuits were often installed ground up, and 15 amp circuits with the ground down. Don't know how true it is though.
          online at http://www.theFrankes.com
          while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
          "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• crokett
            The Full Monte
            • Jan 2003
            • Mebane, NC, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000

I install all mine with the ground down. I don't know why, other than I've always done it that way. I have read the 'proper' way is ground up.
            David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Slik Geek
              • Dec 2006
              • Lake County, Illinois
              • Ryobi BT-3000

Originally posted by crokett
              I install all mine with the ground down. I don't know why, other than I've always done it that way. I have read the 'proper' way is ground up.
              I have seen many installations with the ground down. Apparently the National Electrical Code doesn't have any rules regarding proper positioning of outlets. (I haven't seen it in my looking through the NEC, but I wasn't making an extensive search).

The rationale behind the recommendation to install with the ground on top (when installed in a vertical orientation), or with the neutral, or wider blade on top (if the outlet is installed in a horizontal orientation), is based upon improved safety when a metal wall plate is installed.

When the wall plate screws are removed (for whatever reason), and the outlet is "live", if the metal plate falls down onto a loosely connected plug, (so the blades are exposed), it's best that the metal plate doesn't become "hot". With the ground, or the ground-referenced neutral on top, the plate will contact those terminals and will not become "live or hot".

If the outlet is installed with the "hot" terminal on top, this scenario will result in either a short on the plug blades by the metal cover plate (with the accompanying bright flash and molten metal), or will result in a metal cover plate that may contact the "hot" blade and become a shock hazard.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

it only "looks right" to me with the grounding hole down.

gives it that surprised face look.
                Last edited by LCHIEN; 03-16-2009, 01:03 AM.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Tom Slick
                  Veteran Member
                  • May 2005
                  • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
                  • sears BT3 clone

It used to be common to install a receptacle ground lug up if it were on a switched circuit. about 7-8 years ago NEC spec'd all commercial installations to be ground lug up. I don't think it is code for residential...yet.

EDIT: apparently the info I was given about ground lug up is incorrect. the manufacturers recommend them to be installed ground lug up but it is not a code requirement. makes sense considering you can install receptacles sideways and they are still compliant. Also IEEE standard 602-1996, section 4.2.2 recommends ground lug up.
                  Last edited by Tom Slick; 03-16-2009, 04:35 PM.
                  Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• BerniePA
                    Established Member
                    • Nov 2007
                    • San Tan Valley, AZ
                    • Grizzly 0575

Originally posted by Tom Slick
                    It used to be common to install a receptacle ground lug up if it were on a switched circuit. about 7-8 years ago NEC spec'd all commercial installations to be ground lug up. I don't think it is code for residential...yet.
                    Speaking strictly residential, I always went with ground lug down unless it was a switched outlet and then the ground lug was up -- but then, I'm only a retired telephone guy, not an electrician!!
                    Bernie

Owww -- That spinnin' thang hurt!!

Comment

• cgallery
                      Veteran Member
                      • Sep 2004
                      • Milwaukee, WI
                      • BT3K

I once read a comment by a guy that installed them with ground up that it is safer because if the plug comes loose, and something falls on it, nothing will happen. But if ground is down, a metal item falling on a slightly unplugged plug can short the hot and neutral.

Sounded kinda far-fetched.
                      Last edited by cgallery; 03-16-2009, 08:56 AM.

Comment

• Gator95
                        Established Member
                        • Jan 2008
                        • Atlanta GA
                        • Ridgid 3660

Originally posted by cgallery
                        I once read a comment by a guy that installed them with group up that it is safer because if the plug comes loose, and something falls on it, nothing will happen. But if ground is down, a metal item falling on a slightly unplugged plug can short the hot and neutral.

Sounded kinda far-fetched.
                        Far Fetched, but possible. DAMHIKT.

Comment

• Larryl
                          Established Member
                          • Jan 2004
                          • Lorena, TX, USA.
                          • Grizzly G0478 Hybrid

When I had my shop built I was trying to save a little labor time by installing the box and receptacles, all with the ground down(just looked right to me). The electrician installed the panel and the 220 wiring, and then changed all the plugs to ground up. Of course I was billed for the extra labor.
                          I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken.

Comment

• stocktr8er
                            Forum Newbie
                            • Jan 2007
                            • Midland, TX
                            • BT3000

My dad (being an electrician in his youth) asked why the outlets were being put in upside down during construction at the school he now works at.

Simple answer from installer: if you step on a cord, the ground terminal will pull out of the outlet as opposed to bending or breaking off.
                            Curtis

Comment

• eccentrictinkerer
                              • Aug 2007
                              • Minneapolis, MN
                              • BT-3000, 21829

My friend, Ric, runs the Pro Desk at a local BORG. He wired all his outlets 'ground-up'. When the city electrical inspector showed up he asked him why he had put the outlets in upside-down.

Ric grabbed the 'How to wire your home' book that showed every outlet wired installed 'ground-up'! I was surprised that the inspector didn't realize that there is no code pertaining to that subject (well, not really surprised ).

I'm also one of those who thinks that 'ground-up' just doesn't look 'right'.
                              You might think I haven't contributed much to the world, but a large number
                              of the warning labels on tools can be traced back to things I've done...

Comment

Working...