• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ragswl4
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Winchester, Ca
    • C-Man 22114

I didn't vote as its not my place to judge others on this site. In today's PC world I can see where the joke may offend someone. Should that be the case then a PM to the author or the mods is the appropriate response, not flaming someone in public.

Tensions are running pretty high these days with all the problems we are facing so that may play into some responses on many topics. I have personally gotten caught up in a couple on this forum lately and regret some comments I have made. I guess maybe we all do that from time to time. Life goes on.
    RAGS
    Raggy and Me in San Felipe
    sigpic

Comment

• shoottx
      Veteran Member
      • May 2008
      • Plano, Texas
      • BT3000

Originally posted by MikeMcCoy
      I saw the post and can see how it might bother some but I'm of a similar heritage as the subject in question and it didn't bother me.
      You're Hawaiian?

On second thought this may be incendiary. Or it may be humor. I report you decide!
      Last edited by shoottx; 12-19-2008, 12:15 PM.
      Often in error - Never in doubt

Mike

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

Ed,

Some folks are just trying to be offended. I saw your post, and there was nothing offensive about it. The portrait / drawing was a little skewed on hue, Obama isn't that dark, and most of our presidents weren't that pasty... At least not when they were elected....

Yes, physically Barack Obama DOES stand out from the other presidents. I think that was the point from those that voted for him. So why be offended? Unless there is something to be embarassed or ashamed about, which there shouldn't be, and that would be the offedee's problem, not yours, the reader would have to try very hard to be offended by that...

So stick around, keep up the good work, and stay safe!
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Mr__Bill
          Veteran Member
          • May 2007
          • Tacoma, WA
          • BT3000

Hmm, lets see, over 4K posts many of which are of the sweet grandfatherly type of encouragement and support. Not once did I see you say 'Not my Taste'. Yeah, I would say your good for this site. Ed, on this board you are often the spice that makes things interesting.

Bare in mind Ed, that this comes from the guy who started the
          The REAL Story of Thanksgiving thread, and who also has a weird sense of humor.

Keep posting Ed, BT3 would be a poorer place without you. I also hope that those of you who were offended or critical also keep posting. Remember we who are supporting Ed are not putting you down.

Comment

• MikeMcCoy
            • Nov 2004
            • Moncks Corner, SC, USA.
            • Delta Contractor Saw

Originally posted by shoottx
            You're Hawaiian?

On second thought this may be incendiary. Or it may be humor. I report you decide!
            That one had me rolling. I said similar not identical. I'm half black, half Cherokee.

Comment

• Raffi
              Established Member
              • Sep 2003
              • CA, USA.

I didn't like the post to be honest. However I never would have seen it without this thread!

Racism, ummm common give me a break. People in our society have become hypersensitive. It is sad. I think we've had it good for so long, that people have to look for causes to champion. Many of which turn out to be ridiculous.

Easy on throwing around innuendo and accusations, lets look at intent. It was intended to be humorous not offensive.

Now, lets move on.

Raffi

Comment

• BerniePA
                Established Member
                • Nov 2007
                • San Tan Valley, AZ
                • Grizzly 0575

You know, a whole lot of this country's problems started when we became so concerned that we were politically correct, inoffensive of everyone's sensibilities, etc that people failed to see the humor and laughter in things and situations.

I never set out to hurt someone's feelings, but if I accidentally say or do something that I think is funny and it upsets some guy from upper middle slubsieryoclkeiuvolkia (and I just made that up -- if some one is from there, I don't apologize for it, I just feel sorry for you for living there!!) then that is his problem, not mine, if he, in the entire world takes offense to it.

Lighten up people -- it was a joke!!!
                Bernie

Owww -- That spinnin' thang hurt!!

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
                  Veteran Member
                  • Oct 2006
                  • On the TARDIS
                  • BT 3100

Are you bad for the site? Naw .... a little roughage is good for the digestion.
                  From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Mrs. Wallnut
                    Bandsaw Box Momma
                    • Apr 2005
                    • Ellensburg, Washington, USA.

Originally posted by LCHIEN

I don't think its my place to vote people off the island. It's not survivor.
                    Everyone should understand the board rules about off-topics (religion and politics) and propriety and post accordingly.
                    I agree with you totally, (I just didn't know how to go about saying close to that same thing.)
                    Mrs. Wallnut a.k.a (the head nut).

Comment

• gjat
                      • Nov 2005
                      • Valrico (Tampa), Florida.
                      • BT3100

Personally, I thought the post was a little insensitive in light of the sensitive nature of the color of my next President. I would think a private message would be sufficient to address it without making a big deal of it by either the possible offender or offendee. I've spent enought time on debate oriented forum boards and like the fact this one is mostly apolitical. I think we went too far with the UAW thread, and did not care for the 'eye test' thread as potentially being offensive to race or age.

I also don't like the fact another post was started to have votes to 'take sides'. Face it, some people are offended too easily, and others can be more offensive than they intended.

So in the spirit of this fine forum, has anyone who got the deal on the Freud Avanti router had a chance to use it yet? Is it as great a bargain as it seems?

Comment

• Ed62
                        The Full Monte
                        • Oct 2006
                        • NW Indiana
                        • BT3K

Originally posted by MikeMcCoy
                        I saw the post and can see how it might bother some but I'm of a similar heritage as the subject in question and it didn't bother me.
                        Thank you, Mike. That means a lot to me.

Ed
                        Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• Ed62
                          The Full Monte
                          • Oct 2006
                          • NW Indiana
                          • BT3K

Originally posted by dkerfoot
                          This isn't a democracy. It is a benevolent dictatorship.

If you get feedback from individuals that an individual post may have been inconsiderate or insensitive, I think as a good person it makes sense to consider if the complaint has merit and act accordingly.

But as far as staying or going, that is up to the Mods. By putting it up to a "vote" you are asking us to weigh in on one side or the other. Personally, I think a much healthier way for dealing with it would be for the two of you to discuss it via PM.

For that reason, I am declining to "vote".
                          Doug,

I did consider the complaint. Hindsight is 20-20, and since there was the chance it might have insulted someone (which never entered my mind), it would have been better if I didn't post it.

But it was the fact that I was accused of routinely posting inappropriate things. That bothered me because I try not to do that. FWIW, I did send a PM to the individual, asking for links to other posts that he considered inappropriate. He didn't respond to my request.

The reason I asked for feedback is because if my posts routinely bothered someone, there's a good chance they bothered someone else. If a large number of people thought it would be best for me to leave, it would be better to do so of my own choosing. Thanks for the comments.

Ed
                          Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• Alex Franke
                            Veteran Member
                            • Feb 2007
                            • Chapel Hill, NC
                            • Ryobi BT3100

I find this questions completely inappropriate and uncalled for.

just kidding of course.

Obama himself has been quick to point out that he "doesn't look like all the other presidents" so I really don't think that he would be offended. And if other people want to be offended for him and on his behalf, then that's their issue to deal with I guess.

The fact that some people look different than others is a fact of life -- not something to be ashamed about. That's my US$0.02.

gjat - Yeah, I tried the router -- love it.
                            Last edited by Alex Franke; 12-19-2008, 03:22 PM.
                            online at http://www.theFrankes.com
                            while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
                            "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• gjat
                              • Nov 2005
                              • Valrico (Tampa), Florida.
                              • BT3100

Originally posted by Alex Franke
                              gjat - Yeah, I tried the router -- love it.
                              This is my first quality router. All i've gotten to do so far is take it out of the box. I've never owned (or used) a variable speed router, soft start router, or a router with a plung base. I'm particularly excited about the height adjustment when it's mounted to a table. Up until now, I've always had to adjust the bit in the collet or try to finesse the depth with a regular fixed based. $100 seems too good to be true and wonder if the above taple depth adjustment really works.

Comment

• Ed62
                                The Full Monte
                                • Oct 2006
                                • NW Indiana
                                • BT3K

Originally posted by gjat
                                the sensitive nature of the color of my next President.
                                I absolutely don't understand why people feel the color of our next President is sensitive. There's one thing that I have never said on this site, and here it is.
                                When they had the post-election shindig at Grant Park, I actually had tears in my eyes. Not because he was elected, but because of how far the country has come. This is not meant to be political. It is to honor the citizens of this great country.

Ed

Comment

Working...