• Show
Clear All
  • Thom2
    Resident BT3Central Research Ass.
    • Jan 2003
    • Stevens, PA, USA.
    • Craftsman 22124

Forum Rules Review

I feel it's time for a post to review the rules of these forums.

Originally posted by Sam Conder
    Around the coffee pot This forum is for any topic that you would normally talk about at the office "around the coffee pot". Jokes, tall tales, and true stories are welcome as long as they are clean and in good taste. I only ask that you steer away from topics on religion or politics. Go ahead and pull up a chair and pour yourself a cup of coffee and enjoy the conversation.
    Originally posted by Sam Conder
    Oh, and this includes signature lines as well.
    If it ain't broke.. don't fix it!!!... but you can always 'hop it up'
    **one and only purchaser of a BT3C official thong**
  • Black wallnut
    cycling to health
    • Jan 2003
    • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
    • BT3k 1999

Bump the topic
    Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• BigguyZ
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2006
      • Minneapolis, MN
      • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

Along the lines of signatures...
      I couldn't name names if I wanted to, but I've noticed that there are a few signatures that are rather lengthy as well. Some take up 1/4 of my screen...

Comment

• jking
        • May 2003
        • Des Moines, IA.
        • BT3100

I have to admit, the enforcement of the rules lately have seemed rather vague and confusing. I understand we're in large part on the honor system to avoid inappropriate topics, however, there have been topics which have come up lately which have been clearly (at least to me) political topics which have brought no action from the mods. The one that did seemed very harmless to me.

I guess what I'm trying to say is if you're going to review the rules on posts, it warrants more explanation than restating the forum subtitle. There is some amount of subjectivity regarding what the moderators consider inappropriate. My perception has been this basic rule is enforced somewhat inconsistently.

Comment

• Stytooner
          Roll Tide RIP Lee
          • Dec 2002
          • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
          • BT3100

Those are your opinions on how things seem to go. Each mod has opinions on how close a topic can be to a violation. These opinions are all subjective and open to interpretation by each. Usually when a questionable subject is posted or leads into taboo areas, The mod's will discuss it through PM's. It is then ruled on via the consensus of the back porch discussions. We either chose to delete, warn, or lock the topics. Bans are seldom and only those who go the extra mile get such action.
          On the other hand, if it is a blatant rule violation, there may be no discussion and action is taken by the first available mod. I sometimes have no problem with a post, but it is brought to my attention through a PM. This BTW is the best course of action for posts that may be thought questionable by any member. I do at this time watch the thread closely or start a dialogue between mods.
          Sometimes when you see no action being taken, we have either discussed it and found it not in violation or we may not have seen it yet.

We (the mods) did have a discussion several times about sig lines and actually had one recently.
          Each member should carefully select their sig line content and try to stay away from subjects not discussed here. They aren't discussed here for very good reason. We have many members and some are easily offended by others opinions on at least these two taboo subjects.
          If it is or can be thought by some to be offensive to others, it should be personally censored to reduce chances of this happening.
          Last edited by Stytooner; 09-19-2007, 03:45 PM.
          Lee

Comment

• JR
            The Full Monte
            • Feb 2004
            • Eugene, OR
            • BT3000

Originally posted by Stytooner
            If it is or can be thought by some to be offensive to others, it should be personally censored to reduce chances of this happening.
            I'll tell you what's offensive. That's a BT3K with no Shark Guard!

JR,
            Duckin' an' runnin'
            JR

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
              Veteran Member
              • May 2003
              • Nanuet, NY, USA.
              • BT3100

Lee for President, or something

Bruce
              "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
              Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• Stytooner
                Roll Tide RIP Lee
                • Dec 2002
                • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                • BT3100

Originally posted by JR
                I'll tell you what's offensive. That's a BT3K with no Shark Guard!

JR,
                Duckin' an' runnin'
                I could not agree more.

Bruce, careful, thats bordering on politics and I have no idea where the "or something" might take us.
                Lee

Comment

• Hellrazor
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2003
                  • Abyss, PA
                  • Ridgid R4512

Originally posted by jking
                  There is some amount of subjectivity regarding what the moderators consider inappropriate. My perception has been this basic rule is enforced somewhat inconsistently.
                  I know I've been guilty of replying to some rubbish topics in a less than positive manner. But....

If a newspaper article offends you, do you ignore it or read it anyway? If a few friends talk about something that you do not like, do you walk away and ignore it or listen and continue to be offended? You need to make an intelligent decision to ignore something you do not like or someone who constantly posts garbage.

Not needing heavy handed moderation is the nice thing about this forum. It's nice for us and nice for the moderators. Granted there have been a few trolls and troll like criters that needed to be tended to, but the other 99.9% has been great.

Comment

• jking
                    • May 2003
                    • Des Moines, IA.
                    • BT3100

Those are your opinions on how things seem to go.
                    Agreed, I know there's probably more than I realize that goes on "behind the scenes". I'm simply making observations based on my perception. I certainly didn't intend to make a dig at anyone; I hope you didn't take it that way. My aim was to simply try to gain a clearer picture. I suppose with as many members as we have from different backgrounds the best we can do is to be patient with each other.

I certainly don't envy the moderators jobs.

Comment

• jking
                      • May 2003
                      • Des Moines, IA.
                      • BT3100

Originally posted by Hellrazor
                      I know I've been guilty of replying to some rubbish topics in a less than positive manner. But....

If a newspaper article offends you, do you ignore it or read it anyway? If a few friends talk about something that you do not like, do you walk away and ignore it or listen and continue to be offended? You need to make an intelligent decision to ignore something you do not like or someone who constantly posts garbage.

Not needing heavy handed moderation is the nice thing about this forum. It's nice for us and nice for the moderators. Granted there have been a few trolls and troll like criters that needed to be tended to, but the other 99.9% has been great.
                      I wasn't really talking about anyone that posts garbage. These I ignore & don't waste my time worrying about. There have been some very interesting & educational posts which would seem to violate forum rules. I certainly wasn't offended; I enjoyed the following (& participating a little) in the discussion, but, was a bit surprised to not see even a warning from the mods.

This is by far one of the most civilized places on the internet. What is generally considered to be borderline behavior here wouldn't even raise hackles in some other places on the net. We should consider ourselves lucky to be part of such a great group of people.

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
                        Veteran Member
                        • May 2003
                        • Nanuet, NY, USA.
                        • BT3100

I could not agree more.

Bruce, careful, thats bordering on politics and I have no idea where the "or something" might take us.
                        Where ever the famous and wealthy plastic barron wants to.
                        "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
                        Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• drumpriest
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 2004
                          • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                          • Powermatic PM 2000

I'm sorry guys, I can see a point to jking's discussion here. I've seen some posts that border, and I would agree that it is a subjective issue. Each mod will bring with them a world view that will skew what is to be deemed appropriate.

I don't really let it upset me though, as what is the point. And yeah, this is among the nicest of places online. And "steer away" is not "never speak of", so these questionable posts would only bring forth arguments about such a rule.

Doing a search on the word "God" for instance, I have 500 hits on the forum, which I would imagine is some upper bounds limit to the search engine. Most of these are likely to be members wishing well to other members. I don't take offense, though I'm not religious...

ooops...this thread just became a problem, talking about it makes it against the rules. ;-)
                          Keith Z. Leonard
                          Go Steelers!

Comment

• ragswl4
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jan 2007
                            • Winchester, Ca
                            • C-Man 22114

Originally posted by jking
                            I wasn't really talking about anyone that posts garbage. These I ignore & don't waste my time worrying about. There have been some very interesting & educational posts which would seem to violate forum rules. I certainly wasn't offended; I enjoyed the following (& participating a little) in the discussion, but, was a bit surprised to not see even a warning from the mods.

This is by far one of the most civilized places on the internet. What is generally considered to be borderline behavior here wouldn't even raise hackles in some other places on the net. We should consider ourselves lucky to be part of such a great group of people.
                            I think part of the reason that this is such a civilized forum is the demographics of the members. I have been a member for a little over a year and have thoroughly enjoyed my experiences here. I think the moderators do a good job, excellent in fact. I also believe that they need the members help when something looks borderline and a friendly PM to one of them seems like the best way to point out a suspected rule violation.

I also believe that most folks here who might occasionally post something over the edge do so with no ill intent and probably without realizing they are bending/breaking a rule. I have gotten carried away a couple of times on one or two posts and probably should have been called on it but it seems we all have a way of working those things out on our own, most of the time.

We all feel passionate about somethings and sometimes let her rip here on this forum. Maybe that's just part of being in the family and feeling safe enough to do it.

I would hate to see us get too formalized and controlling with a bunch of great folks who share so much good information. Good luck and good night!
                            RAGS
                            Raggy and Me in San Felipe
                            sigpic

Comment

• linear
                              • May 2004
                              • DeSoto, KS, USA.
                              • Ryobi BT3100

All well and good but what about the gloats?
                              --Rob

sigpic

Comment

Working...