Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Winchester, Ca
      • C-Man 22114

Originally posted by Bruce Cohen
      Goats, did someone say Goats.

Aren't they illegal

Bruce
      I love the gloats, especially when they are MINE!
      RAGS
      Raggy and Me in San Felipe
      sigpic

Comment

• Stytooner
        Roll Tide RIP Lee
        • Dec 2002
        • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
        • BT3100

Originally posted by jking
        Agreed, I know there's probably more than I realize that goes on "behind the scenes". I'm simply making observations based on my perception. I certainly didn't intend to make a dig at anyone; I hope you didn't take it that way. My aim was to simply try to gain a clearer picture. I suppose with as many members as we have from different backgrounds the best we can do is to be patient with each other.

I certainly don't envy the moderators jobs.
        I didn't take it as a dig. I understand that members don't always know what goes on behind the scenes. It really isn't alot, but we do try to take care of issues without making them too public.
        I had a manager once that would say, "If I have done my job, I shouldn't have to do anything." I tend to agree with that style of management. Try to take care of things before they become an issue.

I personally dislike the job of censoring people. It is rarely cut and dried or blatant offenses that need tending to. More often it is on the fringe and open to interpretation. It is then that I have to try and forget my emotions and feelings toward the post and refer back to the orginal rules posted by Sam. I try to see the posters side as well as the Forum's side. At this point, I would ask for help from the other Mod's.

...so if you are making a post and it has the words politics or religion in them, that may be a sign that the post may burnish the edge of an inappropriate topic. The same goes with sig line. If they have religious or political content, they should be ammended.
        Lee

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
          The Full Monte
          • May 2007
          • Sunshine State
          • BT3000

Personally, I think context has a lot to do with what's to be considered over the line. For instance, if the context of the discussion about OJ's latest troubles is that of news or current events, that does not ring political, but when opinions fall to one side of the fence or another, and become either a condemnation or affirmation on the judicial process in this country, now it's political.

Here's another one: One remarkable thing about this board is the warmth and support that is given to any of us who comes here to lament a sorrow in their lives, such as the loss of a loved one. The offers of prayers and blessings are intended to comfort, yet could they not be considered religious by the literal definition? What makes them acceptable is the context, the spirit of genuine concern in which the remarks are made. This is more important than the literal content of the remarks.

I, for one, think the mods do a great job keeping an eye out, and the members do an excellent job of showing class and discretion of their own accord. Interpretations will vary... they have to (until we all start waking up in the mornings with exactly the same thoughts, opinions and ideas... what a boring world that would be...).

I wouldn't change a thing...

Comment

• gwyneth
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2006
            • Bayfield Co., WI

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
            Personally, I think context has a lot to do with what's to be considered over the line.

I wouldn't change a thing...
            Beautifully put.

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2005
              • York, PA, USA.

I am offended by the repeated reference to Thoms thong.

Comment

• Sawduster
                Established Member
                • Dec 2002
                • Cedar Park, TX, USA.

Context, or lack there-of, apparently.

It seems this thinly disguised hinting post was pointed at my signature line. I sorta got that feeling when reading it, but decided that a more direct approach would be required.

So the mods took a more direct approach and sent me a pm asking me to remove my signature line. Pretty sad day when someone professing their faith gets called on the carpet, while all around us are the signs of iniquity and hatred. When Jesus sent his disciples out to preach His word, he told them that if the house or town did not accept His Word, then to shake the dust from their sandals and move on. This is just the same sort of intolerance displayed by those who crashed airplanes into the towers in NYC, but I wonder what would have been the response had I posted Allah Akbar in my sig line?

To each of you a Blessed day.
                Jerry

\"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.\"
                ~ Thomas Paine ~

http://www.sawdustersplace.com

Comment

• crokett
                  The Full Monte
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Mebane, NC, USA.
                  • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by Sawduster
                  I wonder what would have been the response had I posted Allah Akbar in my sig line?
                  The response would have been exactly the same. Every user agrees to a set of rules when they create an account. Your sig line broke those rules. It is that simple.
                  David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• gwyneth
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2006
                    • Bayfield Co., WI

I wonder what would have been the response had I posted Allah Akbar in my sig line?
                    It sounds as if you would be offended if someone else posted that in his/her sig line. If so, you should understand why the inverse would be true (i.e., the way your sig line may affect people).

Comment

• Stytooner
                      Roll Tide RIP Lee
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                      • BT3100

It is a sad day indeed. When a member disregards a subtle reminder forcing a more direct approach. Your last post signifies precisely why we don't tolerate posts about religion or politics. This does not mean we are or not religious or that we don't hold firm political views. We are a world wide diverse group and the rules apply to each and every one of us equally. If you find yourself singled out from the crowd, it is time to take a look at why that is.
                      You are not the first person asked to adjust his or her sig line to better conform with the basic rules of the forum.
                      No need to preach to the choir here so to speak. You have been asked in the kindest way I know of. In the interest of other forum members not of your faith, please adjust the sig lines.
                      Lee

Comment

• Black wallnut
                        cycling to health
                        • Jan 2003
                        • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                        • BT3k 1999

Jerry sorry you feel this as a personal attack as I'm sure that is not Sam's intention for the rule as written. Your sig line does cross the line. Why after alll this time you felt the need to add it only you know.

Just to show that it goes both ways back when this forum went online there were a few of us that liked Jim in Texas's sig line: "Jim in Texas and Sicko Ryobi cult member" Some were offended by others copying it and there was great discussion of folks calling themselves part of the "cult". This was quickly squelched. My sig line grew out of that discussion being one more friendly to those not understanding the backstory on Jim's line.
                        Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• JTimmons
                          • Feb 2005
                          • Denver, CO.
                          • Grizzly 1023SLX, Ryobi BT3100

Pretty sad day when someone professing their faith gets called on the carpet, while all around us are the signs of iniquity and hatred.
                          I am not sure where the communication break down is, but the rules do state to steer away from religion as Thom pointed out. These are the rules Sam set forth and in a nut shell this is his forum. His approach to these topics is really what keeps the peace around here for the most part, along with some really good folks.

Don't get me wrong, I have strong beliefs too, but this isn't the place for them.

I don't really believe this whole thread was point directly at you, but if you had the feeling it was, then maybe you had some idea you crossed the line.

When Jesus sent his disciples out to preach His word, he told them that if the house or town did not accept His Word, then to shake the dust from their sandals and move on.
                          To be real honest, this doesn't help your case any either.
                          "Happiness is your dentist telling you it won't hurt and then having him catch his hand in the drill."
                          -- Johnny Carson

Comment

• scmhogg
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jan 2003
                            • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
                            • BT3000

OK, OK!

I removed from my signature line, the Rudyard Kipling quote, as it could be construed as a comment on current events, rather than the First World War. Kipling, usually pretty hawkish, wrote Epitaphs of the War, after his son was killed at age 18. Sadly, he had used his influence to get his son a commission in an Irish Regiment.

Moderators, please continue to keep this forum free from politics and religion. There are thousands of forums and blogs that cater to such discussions.

Steve
                            I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

• dkerfoot
                              Veteran Member
                              • Mar 2004
                              • Holland, Michigan
                              • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by crokett
                              The response would have been exactly the same. Every user agrees to a set of rules when they create an account. Your sig line broke those rules. It is that simple.
                              These things ultimately come down to a human judgment call, but here is some additional food for thought:

Point #1
                              There is no such thing as context in a sig line. Or if you prefer, the context is always exactly the same.

Point #2
                              Personally, the sig line "Infected with the God of Drums" bugs me. Frankly, I consider it heretical. If one of my children were to use it, I would correct them in no uncertain terms. But, in the public square, I wouldn't dream of complaining about it.

I wonder though, if my sig line read: "Infected with the God of the Universe" would that be OK? How about "Infected with the God Who Died for You?"
                              Why is one OK but another isn't?

If my tag line were "I Worship at Rod Kirby's Bench" I'll bet there would be nary a complaint. If it were "I Worship at the Cross" there would be many complaints.

Why is it sarcasm and sacrilege are tolerated but honest, thoughtful expressions of heartfelt conviction are not? Which is really more dangerous? Which should really be more offensive?

Unfortunately, you can't legislate tolerance - eventually you will ALWAYS end up being intolerant towards some group. I think of it like a sandbox - eventually you are going to run into a cat turd. You could choose to get out of the sandbox. You could insist that everyone get out of the sandbox, that all toys and kids be thoroughly disinfected and the sand hauled off to the dump. Or, you could get over it, and dig in a different spot. I can understand all three reactions, but choosing the 3rd one will be a lot more fun for everyone.

Do I think there is a double-standard? Yes I do.

Do I think that drumpriest should change his name or sig? No I don't.

Do I think the rule should be changed to allow discussion of religion or politics? No I don't.

Do I think we all should be slow to take offense and quick to offer grace, considering others even over ourselves? Yeah, that would be very nice, wouldn't it?
                              Doug Kerfoot
                              "Sacrificial fence? Aren't they all?"

Smaller, Smarter Hardware Keyloggers
                              "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
                              KeyLlama.com

Comment

• Alex Franke
                                Veteran Member
                                • Feb 2007
                                • Chapel Hill, NC
                                • Ryobi BT3100

I thought I'd throw a few cents on the table here...

I think political and religious posts and sig lines should be kept out if their intent is to incite, persuade, taunt, agitate, or otherwise promote any sort of response. But otherwise I think they're probably fine.

If you're just saying something about yourself, I should respect that. If you're trying to raise a response by it or if you're actively involviing me, then I might be offended. It's not a good idea to offend people, but it's also not a good idea to take offense at something if it hasn't been directed toward you.

In my opinion, you can say "Allah Akbar," "In God I Trust," "I Believe My Noodly Master," -- or even "I'm a republican," "I'm an Eskimo," or "I'm a Tarheel" all you want. It doesn't offend me because you're you and that doesn't really affect me.

But if you say, "I'm a republican so I'm RIGHT," "Believe in [something religious] or you're going to [some bad place]!," or even "I went to Yale so I'm better than you" then you're making it personal and I could very well be offended.

But so long as you don't involve me, I should respect who you are and what you believe and not take offense at it if none was intended. If I'm having a bad day and you say, "May Allah bring you peace." then I'll probably say thanks even though I'm Christian. I certainly shouldn't go crying to a moderator, though.

Similarly if you're telling me something political or religious about yourself because it pertains to or sheds light on the topic at hand, then I think that's perfectly acceptable. But this is a discussion board, so if you post a political or religious topic (or a provocative sig), then you're urging a political or religious response, and we all agreed to steer away from that when we joined.
                                online at http://www.theFrankes.com
                                while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
                                "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

Working...