X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cphelps
    Administrator
    • Dec 2012

Year End Site Status Update

In the next few months there will be some foundation work that needs to be done to the site.
    • The web server software is up to date to the latest release 2.4.54 and our hosting company keeps this up to date automatically so there is nothing for us to do there.
    • Our Database, MariaDB, needs a minor version update from 10.3.x to 10.6.x. Support for 10.3 ends in May. This should be a simple upgrade, but requires downtime to backup the database prior to the upgrade, just in case something goes wrong. 10.6 is supported until July 2026.
    • PHP which is the language vBulletin is written in was updated to the latest stable release 8.1 last week with a hiccup in the graphics processing extension that took a couple of days to clean up. 8.2 was released 3 weeks ago. The PHP versions are supported for a year after each release so these updates are more frequent. We will upgrade to 8.2 as time permits and when our hosting provider supports it.
    • Last, vBulletin is at version 5.7.0 which is one micro release behind. Version 5.7.1 only had foreign language fixes that don't affect us. 5.7.2 will be released in the next few weeks and I'll upgrade that during the same downtime for the Database upgrade. This should occur sometime in January or early February assuming no issues are detected in testing. vBulletin releases occur about every three or four months and we usually apply the latest release after two to three weeks of testing.
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

What is the latest CentOS or rocky Linux release our current hosting provider will allow? Should we be looking at possibly in AWS ec2 instance or similar hosting platform?
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• twistsol
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
      • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

I'm not sure what A2 Hosting's plan is for the CentOS 7 end of life. Fortunately we have a year and a half before that occurs. I'll reach out to their support and ask.

Code:
      cat /etc/os-release
      NAME="CentOS Linux"
      VERSION="7 (Core)"
      ID="centos"
      ID_LIKE="rhel fedora"
      VERSION_ID="7"
      PRETTY_NAME="CentOS Linux 7 (Core)"
      ANSI_COLOR="0;31"
      CPE_NAME="cpe:/o:centos:centos:7"
      HOME_URL="https://www.centos.org/"
      BUG_REPORT_URL="https://bugs.centos.org/"

CENTOS_MANTISBT_PROJECT="CentOS-7"
      CENTOS_MANTISBT_PROJECT_VERSION="7"
      REDHAT_SUPPORT_PRODUCT="centos"
      REDHAT_SUPPORT_PRODUCT_VERSION="7"​

cat /etc/centos-release-upstream
      Derived from Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.9 (Source)​
      Chr's

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

I wonder what the cost difference would be between staying put, or going over to EC2 instances. Or if maybe A2 will offer Rocky to replace CentOS...
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• twistsol
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002

I did finally get around to reaching out to A2 hosting and they are testing transitions to AlmaLinux 8 and Rocky Linux to deal with the CentOS 7 end of life. The do not have a concrete plan yet, but will announce one as we get closer to the EOL date of June 30 2024.
          Chr's

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

If possible we need to stick with Rocky as it is a direct recompile of Red Hat Enterprise Linux.

I am also looking at some possible cloud implementations particularly containterrogation that might help things run a little smoother but I need to fiddle with it for a while 1st.

Comment

• capncarl
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Leesburg Georgia USA
              • SawStop CTS

This comment is about viewing the site on an iPhone. Not sure if is caused by any new updates but now in recent posts the last comment is completely covered be an advertisement picture.

Comment

• twistsol
                twistsol commented
                Editing a comment
                Let me know if you are still seeing this issue. I wasn't able to duplicate it on my iPhone, but did find an issue with that page. One of the changes recently allowed ads to be placed globally instead of on each page. I missed removing the footer ad on the Recent Posts page so it was showing both the old page ad code and the new global ad code.

Thanks for pointing this out.

• capncarl
                capncarl commented
                Editing a comment
                This am I checked it and the ad was completely covering the last post but the comment for it was not covered.
                I was not logged in for this test, just a random viewer. I rebooted then logged in and the ad was gone.

• twistsol
                twistsol commented
                Editing a comment
                You won't see ads in threads if you are logged in. I logged out on my phone and now I'm seeing the issue. although nothing is being covered. The text of the post is about three characters wide next to the ad until it gets below it and then wraps around it.

Now that I can see it, It will be easier to fix.
            • twistsol
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002

Originally posted by capncarl
              This comment is about viewing the site on an iPhone. Not sure if is caused by any new updates but now in recent posts the last comment is completely covered be an advertisement picture.
              Here is what I am seeing now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3015.png
Views:	131
Size:	212.2 KB
ID:	854506
              Chr's

Comment

Working...