• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Anyone use dowel centers?

They're inexpensive and a great way to line up dowels for assemblies where dowel jigs don't necessarily work.
    I have sets of four sizes 1/4". 5/16". 3/8" and 1/2"
    Pretty much I have only used the 1/4" and only ever needed four, so I went overboard
    A set of four 1/4" ones is a really cheap woodworking accessory.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20240429_214705.jpg Views:	0 Size:	239.4 KB ID:	858706

Click image for larger version  Name:	20240429_214615.jpg Views:	0 Size:	109.3 KB ID:	858707
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • twistsol
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

I have a set and used them occasionally (mostly for dowels in cabinet face frames) before I bought my Domino. My set is 8 pieces, a pair of each in 4 different sizes. They work surprisingly well for something as simple as they are.
    Chr's

Comment

• cwsmith
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2005
      • NY Southern Tier, USA.
      • BT3100-1

I have a nine piece set, three each of 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 inches. Made of bright steel. (they're magnetic and look more like aluminum). I keep them in a jar, here on the shelf next to some 5/16 dowels I had left over from building the upstairs library. I'm thinking there was more of them, as having only three each seems a bit odd, but it's been about fifteen years since I last used them. If there were more than that, I'll sure I will magically discover them one day along with all the other object that I've misplaced over the years.

I do have a biscuit joiner which I purchase soon after I started that project, using it to assemble the window seats and the storage area in the cookbook room

CWS
      Last edited by cwsmith; 05-02-2024, 12:11 PM. Reason: Correction of dowel center sizes.
      Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• LCHIEN
        LCHIEN commented
        Editing a comment
        not seen 3/16 dowels.... probably 1/4"?

• cwsmith
        cwsmith commented
        Editing a comment
        I stand corrected!

Must have been a bad day... I measured the inside of the dowel center, not the outside diameter. Obvviously not thinking. What through me off was that the four dowels that I had in the same container measured 5/16 diameter.... probably because they shrank in size over the last dozen years or so.

Thanks!
    • dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

I have a set, I use them on those wierd projects like my T clocks there a doweling jig just won't work...
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

I have used them too, in the past. Since purchasing a biscuit joiner back in the early '90s, I haven't used dowels much since. OH, Just remembered, I did use some about 7 or 8 years ago when I made a set of bunk beds for my daughter's home. I used the dowel centers to locate the holes for guides for mounting the bunk bed posts onto one another.
        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• dbhost

dbhost
          commented
          Editing a comment
          I sort of agree on the biscuit joiner, but when you are going end grain to cross grain those dowel joints are going to be a lot stronger, still not perfect but a lot better than a biscuit.... And trust me, I LOVE my biscuit joiner even though there are those that hate them... Now if only someone would make an affordable domino like floating tenon cutter priced more like the Ryobi Buscuit joiner and a LOT less like the Festool item....
      Working...