• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Levels

I was checking something in the garden for the better half and needed a short level.
    I have too many levels... 18", 24" two 48" and a 72".

I grabbed the short one and it was remarkably heavy, cast metal. I thought who makes a level out of steel but on closer inspection it was made of Aluminum by Port Austin Level and Tool co. of Port Austin, Mich. It's just a really beefy aluminum level. Still in nearly perfect shape. Don't make them like this anymore.

Now this was my dads and probably was acquired by him in the 1950's, which makes it around 70 years old.
    Looking up the company they started right after WWII and ended due to Covid in August of 2022.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20240301_142150.jpg Views:	0 Size:	209.5 KB ID:	858170

Click image for larger version  Name:	20240301_142020.jpg Views:	0 Size:	116.3 KB ID:	858174
    Attached Files
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 03-01-2024, 05:38 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • cwsmith
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • NY Southern Tier, USA.
    • BT3100-1

Loring,

You certainly have kept that in great shape!

I was not aware of that brand, but it sure looks very well made. i have a variety of levels, with one set from HF that is solid aluminum and heavier than my others, probably not as heavy as youra though.

My oldest level is a Stanley 24-inch that I got back in the very early 60's. It was in the S&H Green Stamp catalog (remember those? 'trading stamps were rather prevalent then and with every purchase at some of the local grocery stores, you earned 'trading stamps' which could redeem at the local catalog store).

That Stanley is still my favorite and I use it most often.

Thanks for the post,

CWS

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2978r.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	858311 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2975r.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	858312 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2973r.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	185.7 KB
ID:	858313
    Last edited by cwsmith; 03-25-2024, 08:04 PM.
    Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by cwsmith
      Loring,

You certainly have kept that in great shape!

I was not aware of that brand, but it sure looks very well made. i have a variety of levels, with one set from HF that is solid aluminum and heavier than my others, probably not as heavy as youra though.

My oldest level is a Stanley 24-inch that I got back in the very early 60's. It was in the S&H Green Stamp catalog (remember those? 'trading stamps were rather prevalent then and with every purchase at some of the local grocery stores, you earned 'trading stamps' which could redeem at the local catalog store).

That Stanley is still my favorite and I use it most often.

Thanks for the post,

CWS
      1960s Stanley level... Steel? Aluminum, Wood? Got a picture to share?
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

Is each buble calibrated somehow to each face or why the 2 different bubble views...
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• twistsol
          twistsol commented
          Editing a comment
          That is correct. The vials are curved slightly so the bubble goes to the top of the curved center and settles more quickly. The other vial is curved downward so the bubble moves to the side. I don't know whether they can be calibrated separately or not on this brand/model of level. I use Johnson levels 2', 6', and 8' that have a lifetime calibration guarantee. I have a couple of 4' levels that are not Johnson but are both still accurate. When / if they are not, they will be replaced with Johnson levels as well.

• LCHIEN
          LCHIEN commented
          Editing a comment
          if you are talking about my picture, the vials are curved to center the bubble. But in the photo the level is resting on its back and not on its edge so the vails are oriented incorrectly. The closest picture (with just one circular level window) https://www.sawdustzone.org/filedata...11&type=medium is taken with the level on its edge as its meant to be used, the lower bubble level has the curve up so its the one indicating correctly.

Each of the 2 bubble vials is meant to be used with just one of the two edges.
      Working...