• Show
Clear All
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

HF Paint Guns

Has anyone used any of the handheld airless paint sprayers from Harbor Freight to spray unthinned latex or urethane alkyd paints with any success? We are repainting the inside of the house and laying new floors room by room. In addition to painting the walls I am also replacing the baseboard, doors, door jambs and door trim. Renting a sprayer isn't practical doing one room at a time and I would prefer not to lay out $250+ for a spray rig to pick up paint from the can.

Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

I have the predecessor to this airless sprayer.

The instructions clearly state to thin your paint to make it sprayable. I painted my shed with it dilluting the paint 1 to 1 latex paint to water2 coats no problem. I see a couple of spots I should go back over, but that is user stupidity not the fault of the sprayer.

So cut your paint 1 to 1, spray, when done wash it out and run soapy water through it until it runs clear, then rinse...

So far it h as painted my shed, a college friends shed, and I am planning on using it to spray my master bath vanity / changing room. MUCH faster and cleaner finish than rolling or brushing.
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Jim Frye
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Maumee, OH, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Don't have the HF model, but did buy the Wagner Flexio 3500 handheld machine to paint the basement concrete walls. It was recommended to thin the latex interior paint (SW CHB white) 10% for spraying with the regular nozzle. Worked really well. I also used the sprayer with its detail nozzle to spray a table top with MinWax polyurethane semigloss varnish and the finish was flawless. The poly was thinned about 20%. Unit is really easy to clean after use. The Wagner unit is twice the price of the HF unit, but has more adjustments and power than the HF model.

Added thoughts. 1. if the paint has to be thinned 50%, it tells me the gun is a bit low on power/air flow. 2. The applied paint film will be pretty thin and you may have to recoat the walls. 3. None of the handheld HVLP sprayers I reviewed could spray unthinned materials.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0213.jpg Views:	0 Size:	188.7 KB ID:	857580
      Last edited by Jim Frye; 01-11-2024, 09:38 PM.
      Jim Frye
      The Nut in the Cellar.
      ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

Prior to thinning the paint with water add Flowtrol to the amount paint you intend on using. It makes latex paint work better. I’ve use up it in my pump/hose type airless rig with very good results without using any water.

Comment

• Pappy
          The Full Monte
          • Dec 2002
          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 (x2)

I asked about being able to spray unthinned paints for a reason. The urethane alkyd paint that I'm using for the doors, jambs and al the trim says do not thin. Flowtrol is also not compatible with it.
          Don, aka Pappy,

Plato

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

Sorry to say, every sprayer I know of requires the paint be thinned to a sprayable viscosity. Unthinned paint won't atomise well.
            Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Pappy
              The Full Monte
              • Dec 2002
              • San Marcos, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 (x2)

They have 2 that say they will but they are $299 and $599. Not worth it just to paint the remaining trim and the doors. Cheaper to trash this paint and have some semigloss latex mixed. Then get the gun dbhost linked. I got a text from HF yesterday for 30% off one item, assuming the paint guns aren't exempted.
              Don, aka Pappy,

Plato

Comment

• dbhost

dbhost
                commented
                Editing a comment
                When I bought my old gun, it was on a coupon but it was the old brand whatever that was. I just remember it is red and yellow and sprays paint really well, although overspray is an issue with any spray gun... Yeah at that price tag, not sure how much you need to do, but it might be better off just rolling it on or using different paint.

• capncarl
                capncarl commented
                Editing a comment
                What brand The urethane alkyd paint are you using?

• dirtmover
                dirtmover commented
                Editing a comment
                Got me excited for a minute, then I saw the maximum spend restriction on that coupon.
            • twistsol
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
              • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

The only type of gun that will really spray unthinned paint consistently is an airless sprayer that uses a piezo electric membrane to force the paint through the spray tip; the same mechanism used in an inkjet printer but scaled up. They are loud and unreliable, and I don't think any of the cheap ones (Wagner) are made anymore. My experience, even with a 4 stage HVLP and my largest nozzle is that paint must be thinned somewhat to spray decently, except for the very cheapest paints that aren't much more than colored water anyway.
              Chr's

Comment

• Pappy
                The Full Monte
                • Dec 2002
                • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 (x2)

capncarl, the paint I have for the trim is Behr from Home Depot.

dirtmover, same here. I went to print the coupon and found it is 30% on items under $20, 15% on $20-$50 items, and 10% for over $50. They expire today and I'm not sure it's worth going out in freezing temps to save$10.
                Don, aka Pappy,

Plato

Comment

• dbhost

dbhost
                  commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The paint I used on my shed was Behr exterior latex in eggshell finish. I was not aware any of their latex paints were un-thinnable. That begs the question, which ones? I need to steer clear of that...
              • Pappy
                The Full Monte
                • Dec 2002
                • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 (x2)

dbhost, the paint I have isn't latex. It is urethane alkyd semi-gloss enamel.
                Don, aka Pappy,

Plato

Comment

Working...