• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Beware Rockler User ratings

I was recalling how I downrated a Rockler marking gauge some years back and looked at their site.
    If you look closely at their user ratings they list them not in order of date but by ranking so all the 5-star ratings are first and all the one star ratings are on the last pages.
    Further more its arranged so that you can't jump to the bottom easily and see the bad ratings.
    So beware of Rockler User rating! CLearly designed layout intended to show you the 5 star ratings and hide the low ratings at the end where its hard to navigate to.
    Amazon for example has a best rating/worst rating choice.

Last edited by LCHIEN; 11-22-2023, 01:16 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • Black walnut
    Administrator
    • Aug 2015
    • BT3K

Amazon and others have kicked back my ratings and reviews when they were low. I don't put much faith in feedback ratings since they are hand picked and poor score ratings are rejected.
    just another brick in the wall...

Boycott McAfee. They placed an unresponsive popup on my pc.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      LCHIEN commented
      Editing a comment
      I've never had a low rating kicked back. I make fair criticisms. I've done low ratings on Amazon and ROckler.

• Black walnut

Black walnut
      commented
      Editing a comment
      I have had Amazon do it. I have had Home Depot do it several times and I believe Lowes once. Maybe it is my matter-of-fact LEO style report writing style they do not like. Facts, followed by reasonable conclusions.
  • cwsmith
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • NY Southern Tier, USA.
    • BT3100-1

I like most Rockler products but I've had occasion to question their business practices. Several years ago they advertised a 'limited time only' sale on their 'handscrew clamps' . It was a pretty good price and I called to place my order, giving them the details, including the sale price. They told me the price, which was their regular price, not the sale. I mentioned the sale price and was told that they were out of stock on those. Figuring I must have read the Ad wrong, I apologized for the call, hung up and checked my e-mail again. I then called back, providing just the product number and was asked, "How many do you want?". I gave the sale information and price and again was told that they were out of stock "on those". "So you have the correct model number in stock, but you don't have it for the sale price?", I asked. I got a prompt, "I told you we were out of stock on those!" and the guy hung up on me!

I called again for an explanation and got nowhere. So I called my local State Attorney's office, where they told me that practice was illegal and that if anyone advertises a price and they date the offer, they must sell it within that time period for the advertised price. I call Rockler again, they hung up on me. SO, I processed my complaint with my State AG and within the week Rockler called me back and I was able to purchase the clamps at the sale price! Since then, I don't trust them.

I most often will take the time to rate a product that I've purchased and used. But I do question a lot of the ratings that I see however. Over the years I've purchased a number of items through Amazon, and often will write a review for the products we buy. I often get a quiry from Amazon, stating that as the owner of a particular product, would you help someone, usually it's a person who want to buy or has already purchased the particular item in question. On receiving such queries, I usually don't hesitate to write an answer or provide instructions to help.

About a year ago, I received and invitation to join "Amazon Vine" which is a program in which Amazon presents me a rather wide selection of products (under $100) that I can select from, and upon receicing I write an honest and thorough review. Amazon doesn't ask me to gloss it over or anything, and in fact neither I or the seller are allowed to make contact with each other, so there is no influence or encentive. Just write an honest review, and the Amazon Vine management will review it and either approve or disapprove. They don't edit or ask for revision.

With that experience I've seen a number or reviews by customers that have left me wondering if they ever used the product or if they were just totally fake. A recent example was some masonry drill bits that other reviews rated 5-stars, with great comments. I ordered them, and on receiving them I took out a 1/4-inch bit, went to back corner of my garage and attempted to drill a hole. I adjust my drill to the proper speed and with the clutch set at 16, I started to drill. It went in about 1/4-inch quite easily, but then it stopped advancing. I pulled it out to find the carbide tip had sheared off. The bit was't even warm to the touch. I tried another bit the next day with similar results. To say the least my review was pretty negative. But the question was, how did this get so many great reviews and comments?

I see in the News recently that 'the Web' is having a big problem with fake reviews and commentary on all kinds of things.
    Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

For what it's worth, the only Rockler branded item I have ever had a problem with is their cast iron bench holdfasts that come in the bench accessory kit. First mild whack with a mallet on mine and the holdfast fell to pieces. My local (ish, it is an hour drive to get to Rockler) replaced it under warranty though, no issues since...
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

I just think its deceptive to order reviews according to the number of stars so that the dissatisfied customers all appear at the end which its impossible to scroll to given their UI.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...