• Show
Clear All
  • nicer20
    Established Member
    • Sep 2007
    • Dublin, CA
    • BT3100

Craftsman Universal Table Saw Jig

I picked up this old but unused still-in-a-box Craftsman Universal Table Saw Jig at a yard sale a couple of weeks ago (first 4 photos).

Looks very interesting and thought it might come handy with the miter slot accessory that I acquired just before my injury last year (see last photos).

Then it has occurred to me that the craftsman jig has an aluminum base. The miter slot accessory is also aluminum. Will that be causing aluminum over aluminum friction and wearing out? What does the hive mind think?
    Attached Files
  • twistsol
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

I think it will likely wear over time, but I've been using a steel miter gauge on an aluminum table Shopsmith for a decade and can see no discernible wear. Other Shopsmith users have been doing the same for half a century or more. I do wax the table and the miter gauge frequently with Johnson's paste wax.

Johnson's has been discontinued and is difficult if not impossible to find. Minwax Paste Wax is a good substitute, I have both in the shop.
    Chr's

Comment

• nicer20
      Established Member
      • Sep 2007
      • Dublin, CA
      • BT3100

Good to know this - so for an occasional usage like mine, I guess it will probably outlast me .

BTW, I was able to acquire a can of Johnson's paste wax last year as the cans were disappearing from the shelves. So I think for this life, I am set on that account as well .

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Wow, I didn't know that Johnsons discontinued their iconic paste wax product.
        I guess the alternative is the Minwax paste wax can
        OTOH I still have at least 1/3 to 1/2 of my original can I bought for the BT3 so many years ago.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• twistsol
          twistsol commented
          Editing a comment
          When shellacked woodwork was waxed a couple times a year by literally everyone, I bet they sold a ton of it, but now that it seems the only market is to woodworkers that buy a can every other decade, it's hard to justify keeping the product alive. Exhibit 1, it has been off the market for two years and you didn't notice.

• nicer20
          nicer20 commented
          Editing a comment
          @twistsol: I was surprised last year when I heard about the discontinuation of the product. But your point makes a lot of sense now.

• LCHIEN
          LCHIEN commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, just that it was iconic. I guess the pound tin I bought was a 30 year supply so I see their problem.
      Working...