• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Old posts - Router ownership and other router polls

Here's an old topic from 2013... How many Woodworking Routers do you own.

This forum is for discussions about any and all power tools. Whether you are looking to buy a new tool or you have a question about the usage of a tool, this is the place to be!

Most people (71% of respondents here on BT3central/SDZ) had three or more!

I tallied 351 routers for 100 BT3 Central users means we had an average of 3.5 routers per person.

Apparently I've grown since then from 4 to 5 routers now with the addition of a Bosch Colt trim router - very handy.

What do you think?
    MPCs struggles with his Freud FT2000 made me think of this, why not just buy a new one?
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-20-2023, 04:20 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • twistsol
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Meanwhile, since this poll, I dropped from 6 to 4.

I sold 5 of them, my big Triton 3.25 went with my BT3100, my Hitachi TR12, my two porter cable routers and my old Ryobi router were sold last year.

They were replaced with a Festool OF1010 dedicated to my line drilling setup, a Festool OF1400 for general use, a Festool MFK100 trim router and I still have my Triton 2.25 HP router in my Sommerfeld router table.

I've thought about a dedicated router set up for my Porter Cable dovetail jig, but the days of good routers <$100 seem to be long gone. If I had any foresight at all, any one of the routers I've sold would would have worked well except maybe the bit triton which would have been a bit too big.
    Last edited by twistsol; 04-12-2023, 11:33 AM. Reason: Corrected Hitachi router model from M12V to TR12
    Chr's

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

I have 8. In the past 3 years I have bought a Makita Palm/Compact router kit and a Rigid Palm/compact router bringing my total to 8. And I gave two away a few years ago; left 2 in Japan for a friend.

I have yet to buy a cordless one. My problem with most cordless ones in the battery makes most too top heavy and requires as hard of a grip to keep flat as a corded one. The Bosch 12V is the only one so far that looks like it would have a good balance.
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Jim Frye
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Maumee, OH, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Had to recount and suddenly remembered I have a Ryobi One+ 18 volt trim router hanging on the wall. Never used it and the the total is six. Does the Ryobi three base kit count as three routers?
        Jim Frye
        The Nut in the Cellar.
        ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• LCHIEN
          LCHIEN commented
          Editing a comment
          just one. counting motors, not bases.
          I have at least three more bases than routers.
          Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-12-2023, 04:44 PM.
      • cwsmith
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2005
        • NY Southern Tier, USA.
        • BT3100-1

Hmmm, let see,

I have a couple of old Craftsman routers (both made by Ryobi) that are both 1/4 inch collets, I have the first model of the Ridgid trim router - 1/4 inch collet, as well as the first model of the Ridgid full-sized unit that came with both the fixed and plunge bases and I have the Ryobi 3-base router kit; both of those came with 1/4 and 1/2 inch collets. The Ryobi and Ridgid routers are from around 2003 - 2005. So that's five routers in total.

I did have a smaller Ryobi that came with their router table combo, but I gave that away a couple of years ago.

I haven't done much in-hand routing in the past year or so, but the larger Ridgid is still somewhat active in my router table.

CWS
        Last edited by cwsmith; 04-13-2023, 07:18 PM. Reason: Added collet sizes
        Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

I still only have 2, both Hitachi MK12VCs, one for in the table, one for handheld. I have however been giving serious consideration to a smaller trim router. Something a bit easier to manage when just plowing a simple profile that doesn't need a lot of grunt.
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

I still have
            • Bosch 1617 (non EVS) dedicated to router table with external speed controller on Jessem Router Raising mechanism
            • Bosch 1617EVS with plunge and fixed bases - used for handheld work and signs etc.
            • Old Craftsman (ryobi made) from the late 70s with 1/4" collet only. Was mounted to my BT3 for a while for roundovers and chamfers but has not been used in a while.
            • Dewalt DW621 I have never really had the occasion to use. Got it for the extra power but have not needed it.
            • Bosch PR20EVS palm router, good for small stuff, the best thing is its easy to hold and use with one hand.
            Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-12-2023, 06:11 PM.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Results of 2013 poll
              Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	105
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	854809
              Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• mpc
                • Feb 2005
                • Cypress, CA, USA.
                • BT3000 orig 13amp model

Loring - I did buy a new router after the FT2000E and RZ100 combo failed to meet expectations. That's when I got the Bosch 1617EVSPK package during a sale price event. But I never tossed the FT2000E because once in a while I had the 1617 setup for something in my main router table and found I needed a second table... so I'd dig out the FT2000E, it's table+fence, and that stupidly sized plate.

The FT2000E should never need to be table mounted now... because I have a second router table now too. Oh - I need to change my vote for the poll, adding +1 to it, taking my total to 9. I have a Triton TRA001 added to my collection now - won at a recent Rockler "VIP" event. I ended up spending a few bucks at that Rockler store a couple weeks later, buying their cast iron router table from their "Outlet" section along with a stand and fence. The table was less than half the usual price ( again!) with no damage whatsoever. So now I have two permanently setup router tables in my shop: one with the Triton and one (in the BT3's rails) with the Bosch + Incra lift. I highly doubt I'll ever need a third table so the Freud will never need to be table mounted again.

I'm writing a how-to on routers for a couple friends new to woodworking - and one has a son interested too so they're all interested in learning SAFETY aspects. Part of the how-to is comparing different router features, router table features, fences, etc., so they can make better purchasing decisions early. The 1617 has a reasonably easy to use plunge depth measuring system... I couldn't remember how the FT2000E's worked so I went to the shop to re-learn it. It turns out it "doesn't work" without math: there is no way to zero the indicator when the bit is flush with the bottom of the router. Ergo you have to note that reading, add to it whatever cut depth you want, and then adjust the stop rod to that value. Klutzy. I typically use a separate measuring device, measuring the bit projection directly, on my routers so I don't use the built-in scales or zero functions anyway. Being an engineer, it always bugged me that the RZ100 never worked quite right... While I had the FT2000E out for that write-up and pictures my engineering side kicked in and I spent a couple hours fixing it up again. It's now quite suitable as a plunge router, supplementing the 1617, and should never need to be table mounted again. It does have a few advantages over the 1617 when used free-hand:
                * the base has a flat edge to ride against a fence; my Bosch 1617 base is round so, unless it is perfectly centered on the bit, I have to concentrate on keeping one particular spot in contact with the fence.
                * I also have dust collection attachments for the FT2000E; I've read the Bosch equivalents tend to break easily so I've never had dust collection on the Bosch.
                * The FT2000E's power switch is just behind the left operator handle - easy to reach with both hands gripping the handles. The Bosch switch, like most motor+multi-base router kits, has the power switch at the top of the motor. Can't reach it with hands on the handles.
                Disadvantage:
                * The plunge lock lever on the FT2000E operates in the opposite direction and manner compared to my other plunge routers.

dbhost: for a smaller router, take a serious look at the DeWalt DWP611PK: a kit with the motor, a fixed base, and a plunge base. It goes on sale for around $150 regularly. It is a 1/4 inch router only, like most trim/small routers. It works quite well and is easy to hold/use and accepts the PC-standard guide bushings. I really like mine. I haven't used the Bosch Colt that many folks love. The Colt has all sorts of add-on gizmos for its base to let one work in tighter corners, around the edge of a countertop and up the backsplash, etc. that look really useful for contractors. I don't know if DeWalt has similar gizmos for the 611; I haven't needed them. Both 611's bases have a flat side to ride against fences, something I look for in routers now. DeWalt makes a cordless version too if you already have their batteries...

mpc
                Last edited by mpc; 04-12-2023, 04:31 PM.

Comment

• Jim Frye
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Maumee, OH, USA.
                  • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

1. Ryobi R700 plunge permanently mounted in BT3000 accessory table.
                  2. Bosch DVS1617 D handle
                  3. Ryobi 1802 triple base
                  4. Ryobi TR30 trim.
                  5. Ryobi Motor Tool with router base
                  6. Ryobi P600 trim router
                  Jim Frye
                  The Nut in the Cellar.
                  ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

More Router oriented Polls from the past
                    "What's your favorite router brand?

Someone asked I be more specific:

If you are on a desert island with a stack of 3/4" x 4" x 3 ft walnut and maple lumber and a 12-foot Belden 16/3 extension power cord and a set of 66 MLCS router bits, had a Generac 3 KW generator with an unlimited amount of Shell 87 octane ((R+M)/2) gasoline and Penzoil 10W-30 oil, which brand of router would take with you?

(Hope I didn't forget any)

C'mon guys its just a fun poll.​"

Views:	100
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	854813
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

And this poll about router bit sets:
                      "This one concerns router bit sets. We all know some people like router bit general sets for the selection and not waiting and low cost per bit but a lot of other people prefer to buy router bits on an as needed basis only saving intial outlay and perhaps getting better quality bits.

Not counting special purpose sets (e.g. set of straight bits or incra dovetail set or a cabinet-makers set or roundover set) but just general purpose sets with multiple profiles types and one or more size in each profile. e.g. straight, roundover, ogee, cove, dovetail, bullnose, flush trim all in one kit.

If you own more than one such set you can mark multiple choices.​"

Views:	100
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	854815
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• LCHIEN
                        Internet Fact Checker
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Katy, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 vintage 1999

And this one

Views:	69
Size:	288.4 KB
ID:	854817
                        Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• LCHIEN
                          Internet Fact Checker
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Katy, TX, USA.
                          • BT3000 vintage 1999

And this one 2006
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	232.0 KB ID:	854819
                          Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-14-2023, 01:58 AM.
                          Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• LCHIEN
                            Internet Fact Checker
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Katy, TX, USA.
                            • BT3000 vintage 1999

and from 2006
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	234.6 KB ID:	854821
                            Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-14-2023, 01:57 AM.
                            Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

Working...