I need to find the hole in my dust collector...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

I need to find the hole in my dust collector...

No joke. The other day I was planing down the blocks for the pinewood derby cars for my friends kids, and I noticed the shavings were blowing near the dust collector on the outside. I did not see where, but obviously something got a hole in it. Since I am steel and sealed up going INTO the DC no hole there, I need to check the hose going from the impeller to the separator ring, and possibly the collection bag. My DC is very close to my old tool box, and in emptying it out, I may have somehow managed most likely to poke a hole in the DC lower bag... I have extras, but this one isn't even 1/4 full yet...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • Jim Frye
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Maumee, OH, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

I bet you are going to need someone to feed sawdust into the system while you scrutinize the flexible bits.
    Jim Frye
    The Nut in the Cellar.
    ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

If it was a natural gas leak you could find it with a candle.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• macwoodnut
        macwoodnut commented
        Editing a comment
        Thoom! (then holds up tiny sign with "help me" & a whimpering facial expression...)

• leehljp
        leehljp commented
        Editing a comment
        LOL. I tried that in chemistry class when making hydrogen but the teacher stopped me! ;D
    • twistsol
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
      • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Pick up a bottle of red or blue chalk line dust and suck up a bit of that. You should be able to see easily where that came out.
      Chr's

Comment

• dbhost

dbhost
        commented
        Editing a comment
        I can see it with the wood dust / chips, There is a stream coming from the back side along where the band clamps, right where there is a gap in the foam rubber gasket which I am not sure I need. I haven't fixed it yet. Need to get my tool cabinet out of the way...
    • dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

So there is foam tape kind of gasket where the bag attaches that has apparently turned in some areas to dust leaving gaps. Not sure if that is the only source of the problem, but it begs the question. Should this thing have a gasket at all or should the bag simply clamp to the ring?
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• timothyferriss
        Handtools only
        • Oct 2023

possibly due to a hole in the collection bag

Comment

• dbhost

dbhost
          commented
          Editing a comment
          Actually, no.... the inlet ring where the bag clamps on to, has a foam weatherstrip type seal that had dried up and crumbled in sections leaving spots where the seal between the bag and the ring were more or less wide open, I cleaned out the old seal and put new weatherstripping seal in its place and the issue is now solved.
      Working...