• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Rockler Safety Gate Professional Restart Protection

I saw this new product (at least, new to me) that might be interesting to some of you.
    Many professional industrial power tools have a magnetic pushbutton start-stop which requires you to push the switch to turn on the equipment; an electromagnet captures the switch in the on position but releases it when power fails. So that when power is restored the tool does not come back on endangering workpieces in the machine or people by surprising them. You have to push the start button to restart your tool.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	55.6 KB ID:	852124

I have seen electronic versions embedded in a module on a power cord to do this electronically. But they cost about $150 and you have to rewire the tool power cord.

I see this one from Rockler they call a Professional Safety Gate Restart Protection which has a male and female plug you can plug the power cord into and then the device into the wall. No rewiring.
    Basically it achieves the same safety as the magnetic switch.. Slightly differently. When powered up if it senses a load it won't apply power on until the load is removed (by turning the tool off first and then it will start when turned back on). In normal use the tool switch is normally off and turns on normally with the power switch
    So its relatively cheap and clever, I think.
    Just $40. From Rockler as well as Amazon
    Consider getting one if you are worried about a power failure and then having power restored and having your power tool turn come on with unexpected results.
    https://www.rockler.com/safetygate-p...lectrical-plug

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	102.6 KB ID:	852123
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 08-23-2022, 04:18 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • Black walnut
    Administrator
    • Aug 2015
    • BT3K

A rather smart safety addition. I am honestly surprised that powertools do not have an "in case of power failure unplug and turn switch off" warning label.
    just another brick in the wall...

Boycott McAfee. They placed an unresponsive popup on my pc.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Yeah, don't forget to turn off the saw if it stops in the middle of a cut when the power fails or the breaker trips.
      That way when you go to reset the breaker, or the power gets restored, it won't throw the wood, still engaged on the blade, across the room.

Or, get one of these.
      Last edited by LCHIEN; 08-26-2022, 01:26 AM.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...