• Show
Clear All
  • twistsol
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

MLCS 66 bit Set

For people who have the MLCS 66 piece router bit set, are you happy with them. I just realized that I've bought three sets as gifts for other people, but don't own one myself.
    Chr's
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

I used large number of the bits in the 30 piece set I had so I got a 66 piece set at one point.
    To be honest, its a great feeling to have one, but I really haven't used but a very few bits in it that are not in the 30 piece set. I usually pull out the 30 piece set and use what's there because its so much smaller and easier to handle. If I don't find what I need, I look at the online listing to see if the bit I need is in it.

I would say I probably didn't get my money worth out of it like I did the 30 piece set.
    And to add to that I bought it from another user who did not use it at all.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

I don't have MLCS's set but I do have another brands 60+ set that I have had for 30 years. I have at least that many other individual 1/2" shank bits for specialty needs that are not in a set like that.

But the answer outside of this brand is: How much do you use the router and for what? I probably have used about 1/2 of my set at different times, but I use my routers quite often, and as such I want special sizes that are often in between set sizes. For instance for round over, I have 1/8, 5/32, 3/16, 7/32, 1/4, which do not come in most sets at all. They sure help in different round over situations, and I use each one depending upon the usage of the item I am making. Some of the decision comes strictly by the "feel" for what might be right for the situation. (Those round over bits are 1/4" shank, and used on a trim router.) for most 1/4" round overs and up, I use 1/2" shank bits.

Bottom line is how much do you use your router and do you wish for specialty shapes a lot? I make book cases, shelf sets, wide picture frames, rail and stile doors, so my needs are more than available in even a large set.

Oh, I forgot but I do have a 1/16" round over also. On dense hard woods, I will use the 1/16 or 1/8 round over regularly; on soft woods and ply woods, I will use 1/8 on occasion and usually 5/32 to 3/16 to 7/32.

Although those are not part of a 60+ bit set, it does indicate the usage is dependent upon the individual users preference/user style and frequency of router use.

One other IMPORTANT thing for me: When doing a big project such as making two or three sets of book cases with lots of repetitive routing, I may use a bit within the set in and look at how it looks on a board, and then order that one specific profile from a high end router maker such as Whiteside or Freud or other. I have not been disappointed in doing this.
      Last edited by leehljp; 06-11-2022, 06:57 AM.
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

I've had mine for what, 12 years now I guess, and I have used maybe 6 of the bits. No fault of the set, just been the work I have been doing in the time I have. However it IS nice knowing that for the common sizes and profiles, I have it covered and then some.
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• twistsol
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
          • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

The only duplicates I would end up with are a couple of the smallest roundover bits and I never seem to have the size I want, a dovetail bit, and a straight bit.

I'd definitely use the round over and cove bits, the sign making bits, and likely the edge bead bit and ogee bits since I've tried to approximate those with multiple passes on other bits in the past. I priced the ones I'm very likely to use and was over $200.00 so the others will be a bonus.

I think I'll pull the trigger on it.
          Chr's

Comment

Working...