• Show
Clear All
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Die Grinders

What is the advantage of Die Grinders over regular angle grinders or other hand held grinders/sanders?

I haven't used a die grinder nor have I been in a situation that (I knowingly) needed one.

Thanks

And this is the first time I have used the "Create New" button. It sure in nice since it cuts out an extra step or two to get a new thread/topic going.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Die grinders can be thought of as a REALLY big dremel. In my first career as a mechanic we used die grinders a lot with with scotch bright pads outright pads for removing gasket material material or with a buffer to buff out the inside of a tire to apply a patch that sort of thing.

They are typically easier to handle than an angle grinder.
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

FWIW a picture is worth a thousand words

Click image for larger version

Name:	Die-Grinder-vs-Angle-Grinder.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	849750

Click image for larger version  Name:	die-grinder-vs-angle-grinder.png Views:	0 Size:	109.8 KB ID:	849749
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

I have never been around a die grinder that I can remember, probably because they were primarily air tools when I was young or young adult. We had angle grinders galore.

Loring, I found the bottom picture and read the article. In my mind, there is still a lot of overlap that can be done between them.
        Hank Lee

Comment

• capncarl
          capncarl commented
          Editing a comment
          Angle grinders…aka Side Grinders typically have a threaded shaft for attachment of its wheel/brush. It usually has a geared output. It is for rough work.

A die Grinder usually has a collet for its attachments, but not always, sometimes a threaded shaft, The output shaft is usually an extension of its motor and its speeds is much greater than an angle grinder. It is for precision work.
      • dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

Yeah, I know they do make electric die grinders, but every one I have ever been around has been pnuematic. Honestly the difference is between a ball pein hammer and a claw hammer. They kind of do similar work and there is a LOT of overlap between the two, but they are NOT the same thing.

I have both. The die grinder gets used exclusively for automotive work.
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• leehljp
          Just me
          • Dec 2002
          • Tunica, MS
          • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by dbhost
          Yeah, I know they do make electric die grinders, but every one I have ever been around has been pnuematic. Honestly the difference is between a ball pein hammer and a claw hammer. They kind of do similar work and there is a LOT of overlap between the two, but they are NOT the same thing.

I have both. The die grinder gets used exclusively for automotive work.
          Well, this does bring up something else that is similar: I have tools (smallish) that I need to take the rust off of or even polish. But the angle grinder wire wheels are just too big. Dozens of times, I just take some steel wool and cutting oil and then quit when it gets messy. It sounds like this would be the right way to go for polishing up. You mentioned above the scotch bright pads - That is what I would love to have for some basic cleaning of metal objects. I need to read up on that.

Thanks!
          Hank Lee

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Isn't a Dremel tool similar to a die grinder except on a smaller scale and higher RPM for finer work? Die grinder for car sized stuff and Dremel tool for hobby sized stuff.

Name:	Die-Grinder-vs-Dremel.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	849755

Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-03-2022, 05:01 PM.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• capncarl
              capncarl commented
              Editing a comment
              A dremel is a die grinder. The few tool and die makers I have worked with had pneumatic die grinders smaller than Dremels. They didn’t use consumer grade tools because they wouldn’t last through one job.

• dbhost

dbhost
              commented
              Editing a comment
              What Carl said is right, a Dremel / rotary tool IS a die grinder of sorts. Although much more delicate than what I think of when I think die grinder. RPM on a Dremel, and a full size die grinder are both in the 35K range. I haven't used my Die grinder since I had the cylinder heads off of an old Toyota Celica I was rebuilding with a friend years ago. So I don't recall. Mine is either a Blue Point as I was working as a full time mechanic when I bought it, OR an Ingersoll Rand as I was also cheap... I know I periodically oil it, and spin it up to keep the seals etc... happpy. But would I buy one today? If I was still doing a lot of engine work sure. but for ME now, not on your life. Basically speaking the Dremel uses what a 1/8" mandrel, and the Die Gridner a 1/4 or something like that.
          • capncarl
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Leesburg Georgia USA
            • SawStop CTS

Name:	8637DE51-3B43-4050-90DA-4D90FC4D1FF4.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	212.6 KB
ID:	849767I have both angle and die grinders.., electric and pneumatic, from 2” to 6” disks. Like one of my comments, you can use the angel grinder to do almost anything that a die grinder can. The limitations would be for tool and die maker tasks. My smallest angle grinder is a 2” King Arthur’s Merlin 2. Curious if is called a rotary tool but to me it is an angle grinder. It handles all of the flapper disks, polishing disks, cut off disks…. If you can afford them and all of the sanding quick change disks. It also has a 2” chainsaw wheel for the faint hearted. My favorite is the vast array of tungsten carbide disks.

​​​​​​​

Comment

• dbhost

dbhost
              commented
              Editing a comment
              I wouldn't use an angle grinder for tire work. I know they are rare nowadays, but back when I did the job, 13, and even 12" tires are not uncommon. Laying down a patch you need to rough the surface of the inside of the tire, not grind through it. Angle grinders tend to have more aggressive heads / abrasives, and are just bigger overall and hard to manage in a tight space.

And that Merlin2 looks pretty cool. Bet it is still a lot bigger than a die grinder though.

Like I said above, doing engine work, die grinders are great. Mind you, if they had a pneumatic angle grinder / flap wheel setup that would be good too. Never liked electric tools in an oily, coolant contaminated environment tearing down and cleaning gaskets off of engine components...
              Last edited by dbhost; 04-03-2022, 10:23 PM.
          Working...