• Show
Clear All
  • Jim Frye
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Maumee, OH, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Quick Grip Clamp Question...

I have four 6" Quick Grip clamps that are a couple of decades old and get a lot of use. One of the four is losing its grip strength. I've cleaned the spreader bar, but no improvement. Is there any other remedy, or should I just replace it? If replacement is the option, what brand now that Irwin is the maker of the original?
    Jim Frye
    The Nut in the Cellar.
    ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Woodworking Hack: One-handed bar clamp not working? Fix a woodworking clamp with a quick tune-up. Minimal tools and some spray lubricant.

May be cheaper and easier to replace. 4 mini 6" Irwin Quick grips under $20 at Amazon ($5 each)

Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

Haven't we all lost our grip a little bit?

All joking aside, at the cost of these things new, might be worth it just to replace...
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Jim Frye
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Maumee, OH, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Well, I said I cleaned the spreader bar, but not throughly. After reading Loring's post, I went back and wiped it down with MS and then went over the bar with 600 wet/dry paper to remove the rust from glue spill. Bar is bright and shiny now and the clamp has a new grip on reality. Also after removing the labels I discovered the old Quick Grip clamp body cannot be disassembled. It's apparently hot riveted together, so replacement is the option when the clamp can't get a grip on the bar properly. Lowes has them in stock for &17.97.
        Jim Frye
        The Nut in the Cellar.
        ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• capncarl
          capncarl commented
          Editing a comment
          Some of the side plates on my Quick Grip clamps have come off. I think a couple of well placed prying tools will pop off the cover.
      • dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by Jim Frye
        Bar is bright and shiny now and the clamp has a new grip on reality.
        Glad to know one of us has a grip!

Okay I'll see myself out....
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• capncarl
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Leesburg Georgia USA
          • SawStop CTS

I think I saw that Rockler has their version of a quick clamp that has a spring assist closing. That might be a nice feature.

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Jim, are you using the Quick Grip minis or the regular?
            I've got some of the regular and at least 20 of the minis. in 6" and also some longer ones.

They also have a micro.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Jim Frye
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • Maumee, OH, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

These are the regular 6" clamps. When I bought them, the other 6" styles didn't exist. They're old like me.
              Jim Frye
              The Nut in the Cellar.
              ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• duramen
                Forum Newbie
                • Jan 2022

The ones from Harbor Freight are not very good, but they have a lifetime guarantee. I am referring to the cheapest ones in black with gray pads. My spouse uses the tiny 4 inch clamps for her projects and they break fairly often. The ratchet starts to slip and then they don't hold.

Harbor Freight replaces them for free when they stop working. I assume the same is true for the larger black-and-gray ratcheting clamps, which are otherwise identical.

Comment

• dbhost
                  Slow and steady
                  • Apr 2008
                  • League City, Texas
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by duramen
                  The ones from Harbor Freight are not very good, but they have a lifetime guarantee. I am referring to the cheapest ones in black with gray pads. My spouse uses the tiny 4 inch clamps for her projects and they break fairly often. The ratchet starts to slip and then they don't hold.

Harbor Freight replaces them for free when they stop working. I assume the same is true for the larger black-and-gray ratcheting clamps, which are otherwise identical.
                  Those have a reputation. My HF Quick Clamps are only in my inventory because of free coupons for them...

Comment

Working...