• Show
Clear All
  • Jim Frye
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Maumee, OH, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Power Tool Cords Rant...

I have a real problem with a lot of tool manufacturers choice of power cord materials. I'm too lazy right now to provide pictures, but words should suffice at this time of night. Years ago, I would change out the original crappy power cord with one with a rubber cover as soon as the tool was out of warranty. The other day, I pulled one of my Wagner heat guns out to use and the cheezy vinyl cord was so kinked that it actually impeded the use of the tool. You couldn't rest the hot tool on its rest point without the cord toppling it over. I always wind power cords around the tool in a figure eight pattern to avoid them coiling up. This cord is so stiff it acts like it's permanently kinked. Is there any product that will soften these cheap cords without damaging them? I thought multiple applications of ArmorAll would work, but it's a bit messy for use in a dusty area.
    Jim Frye
    The Nut in the Cellar.
    ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Oh, I get it. Particularly cheap tool MFGs, and I am not talking any Harbor Freight brands but lesser than that even, use horribly stiff PVC jacketed cords. I am honestly unsure of what you could do to make the cord itself more supple in a way that would not damage the cord. Oddly enough I have a couple of tools, including yes, my heat gun, that are like that. One of my old no name soldering irons is like that as well...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• capncarl
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Leesburg Georgia USA
      • SawStop CTS

Oddly, the oldest tool that I owned that I purchased as a teenager in the mid 1960s, a 1/4” Black & Decker drill, still has its cord intact. It’s kinda stiff, but evidently it is built as well as the poor drill that still works as well as to be expected from a $9 tool. So, you are right, if a cheap drill can have a good, durable cord then why can’t a more expensive power tool have a slightly more premium cord?

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by capncarl
        Oddly, the oldest tool that I owned that I purchased as a teenager in the mid 1960s, a 1/4” Black & Decker drill, still has its cord intact. It’s kinda stiff, but evidently it is built as well as the poor drill that still works as well as to be expected from a $9 tool. So, you are right, if a cheap drill can have a good, durable cord then why can’t a more expensive power tool have a slightly more premium cord?
        So I split the difference in age, guessed 1965, and then looked up purchasing power of $9.00 in 1965, which would be $79.41 today. Which means that B&D drill price point today would be upper mid range for a 3/8" corded VSR drill. This means market point wise it would be dollar for dollar buying power wise positioned with DeWalt, Makita, and Milwaulkee drills... You could buy 2 current B&D drills...

Certainly that is partially the effect of importing these drills nowadays. Pretty sure your old B&D was USA made...

I'm clingling like a maniac to my 90s USA made Skil circ saw even though it was a pretty much base model. Still a better saw than most mid range saws these days...
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• capncarl
          capncarl commented
          Editing a comment
          Skil? I have a small circular saw from what I think was mfg in 60-70s that I bought in a thrift shop. It might be a Skil. It uses a small dia. blade, I fitted it with a battery saw blade and the saw is a really small like a cheap battery powered saw…. And wait for it……it is left handed! It just has a trigger switch with no hard to defeat safety’s, and it’s cord is original and is also in pretty good condition.

I am right handed and really dislike having to look over my shoulder when using a conventional right hand circular saw. It is a breeze to use. I wonder why they make conventional circular saws fits handed? Maybe because you have to use your left hand to defeat the safety’s?

• dbhost

dbhost
          commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep, Skil, I got it when I worked in a hardware store. It was a customer return / write off. The customer ran the blade through the cord the first time they plugged it in and somehow my boss allowed him to return the thing. I grabbed a $2.00 Skil power cord from the shelf, after employee discount probably paid a buck for it, and swapped it out in the back room. Other than the stock blade was garbage, it's been a great saw for 24+ years.
      • LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

I like the rubberized cords on my DeWalt and Bosch power tools. they are long (usually at least 6 foot) and relatively limp without a strong set.

I do hate the several hot melt glue guns I have. the cords always are too stiff and knock the lightweight guns over from their "standing" ready position.

Maybe a hot air gun judiciously applied while pulling on the cord will make it take a new set. PVC tends to soften significantly at 105°C so a little below boiling might persuade it to take a new set.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...