• Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

I found my dads Yankee drill...

Many, MANY years ago, my Dad gave me a Yankee drill, thinking most likely I would get WAY more use out of it than I have. It has languished apparently in the dark realm that is the bottom drawer o fmy mechanics tool chest for what is most likely the better part of 20 years.

As far as a usable tool goes, for me it is not high on the list. But it was a gift from my now deceased Dad.

Any ideas what can be done with something like this? I am considering maybe a memories box / shadow box with several of the items he gave me, or helped me find / buy in my youth. A Yankee Drill, a Century 1 burner bottle top propane stove, my first non Zebco fishing reel etc... Stuff I won't use mostly due to age or it just doesn't make sense with the upgrade I have managed over the years. I.E. why use the tiny unsteady single burner when I have a pair of beautiful Coleman 424 dual fuel 2 burner suitcase stoves

Just fishing for ideas on this... And yes, before anyone asks, losing Dad, and my father in law, and my brother in law, and.... is why I went as quiet for as long as I did. I needed time to get my head right... Still not sure I am there but we move on...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

From my dad, I have

I do have a few tools he had.
    A Yankee screwdriver
    A Miller Falls hand drill
    A folding wooden ruler
    Craftsman hand saw
    Hammer

Nothing else of note.
    Really don't use these at all, All in a spare toolbox that doesn't get opened hardly ever. Its on the bottom of a stack for that reason. I should get them out and look at them.

old, related thread: https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...-me-down-tools
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• capncarl
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Leesburg Georgia USA
      • SawStop CTS

Several years ago the stack of large Rubbermaid totes that housed the remaining treasures from cleaning out my parents house after they passed away kept yelling at me to let them out. Shoe boxes full of all our Christmases, birthdays, family reunions and lots of pictures people I don’t know….. what do you do with this stuff?
      My solution, although a temporary one, was to do what I had done with a lot of my own photos and treasures…. I hung them on a wall in my shop. I just call it “MY Wall”. It is groupings of subject like fishing, friends, sports car. Children, travels etc. This way I see them every time I go in the shop, sometimes I just stop and think about what a good time we had. It catches everyone’s eye that comes in the shop and we usually get into some discussion about something there. I have plans to expand my wall to cover most of the walls length. For my parents wall I didn’t use any photos, just “stuff” that I remember about them. I will expand their wall to include photos of relatives on both sides of the family. Planning ahead when I started this endeavor everything is mounted on black poster foam board. That way when we move everything will not just get stuffed back into a Rubbermaid tote….. maybe not anyhow.

Click image for larger version

Name:	885CEB83-D6EC-4902-9750-7DA870564E06.jpeg
Views:	81
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	846984

Comment

• LCHIEN
        LCHIEN commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice!
        I'll say it again, Nice! (comment has to be 10 characters or more).
    • capncarl
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Leesburg Georgia USA
      • SawStop CTS

Photo of “ My Wall” mentioned in previous post.

Click image for larger version

Name:	517E133E-7D9E-48BD-AD13-E6EF0BD36C79.jpeg
Views:	83
Size:	209.1 KB
ID:	846986

Comment

Working...