MLCS 9072 Motor safety switch wiring question.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

MLCS 9072 Motor safety switch wiring question.

[Originally posted by DBhost]

As I mentioned, I have the MLCS 9072 motor safety switch I am wanting to swap over to my bandsaw so I have a booger proper post mounted on off switch with a safety paddle.

I no longer have the little instruction sheet that came with it.

So the switch itself has 4 posts, 2 load, 2 line. I am assuming black and white from motor go on load, and blacka nd white from power cord go to line. White to white, black to black.

There is no provision on the switch itself for ground.

There are however 2 brass bars with screws, one on each side of the box, that could potentially be ground bus bars, but why 2, and what am I supposed to do with the grounds?

I am figuring on butchering an old outdoor extension cord for the cable (I have too many, and the 14 guage cable is bigger than the OE 16 gauge so I am safe there...).

I am figuring on just moving the existing power cord to the new switch, and not routing it back into the saw, just let it drop and be used staight out fo the switch box, and then run the motor cable through a new grommet and hole in the back of the stand, keeping things above board tidy.

Lastly, I need to pick up a blank box cover plate, preferrably in black, so that I can close off the hole the OE switch removal will leave.

Anyway, any help in figuring out this ground issue would be greatly appreciated, and one step closer to resolving the switch issue, and finalizing my band saw upgrades.

A search on the internet points back to our website.

Looks like you asked this question in a thread in 2011 and I answered it for you.

https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...r-power-switch

Here is the specifics for this switch:
    the switch has four terminals. You will see some text molded into the backside of the body of the switch that says LINE, and LOAD with arrows pointing to one side of the switch or the other.

Attach the source (wires going to the power company) hot and neutral to the pair of contacts labeled LINE.

Attach the hot and neutral wires going to the machinery to the terminals marked LOAD.

You should use the LINE and LOAD terminals opposite to each other for HOT and the other pair opposite to each other for Neutral. It doesn't really matter whether HOT or NEUTRAL go at the top or bottom of the switch, but they must be the same opposite each other.

Connect the ground wires from each cable to the ground bar located in the bottom of the switch housing.

If you don't understand what I'm saying or talking about you need a professional to do this for you.

Originally posted by LCHIEN

A search on the internet points back to our website.

Looks like you asked this question in a thread in 2011 and I answered it for you.

https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...r-power-switch

Here is the specifics for this switch:
    the switch has four terminals. You will see some text molded into the backside of the body of the switch that says LINE, and LOAD with arrows pointing to one side of the switch or the other.

Attach the source (wires going to the power company) hot and neutral to the pair of contacts labeled LINE.

Attach the hot and neutral wires going to the machinery to the terminals marked LOAD.

You should use the LINE and LOAD terminals opposite to each other for HOT and the other pair opposite to each other for Neutral. It doesn't really matter whether HOT or NEUTRAL go at the top or bottom of the switch, but they must be the same opposite each other.

Connect the ground wires from each cable to the ground bar located in the bottom of the switch housing.

If you don't understand what I'm saying or talking about you need a professional to do this for you.

And so we did discuss that. I actually searched but didn't find. And I am usually really good at digging through google searches.

The question really does remain though, there are 2 of those brass bars. Does ground go together on one of the ground bars or stay separate?, so line goes to one ground bar, and load goes to another?
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 11-27-2021, 02:42 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

I merged this discussion, intending to combine it with another thread but I could not figure out how to do it.

I have closed this thread.

Please go to the other thread: https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...r-power-switch

Last edited by LCHIEN; 11-27-2021, 02:43 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...