• Show
Clear All
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

I want a New Tool - linear dado

I would love to have a tool based upon this (which I have in a different brand):

https://www.amazon.com/Metabo-HPT-Re...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

BUT in an adjustable dado in width and depth. Shouldn't be too hard for a company to make one of those.

I am tired of changing dado's on the saw; I am tired of using different jigs for my router for different situations for dados. Give me a dedicated hand held, motor driven, easy to change and depth adjustment that All I have to do is place beside a clamped straight edge!

Any takers to build one?
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Isn't it called a router?
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 10-31-2021, 05:13 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
      Isn't it called a router?
      not quite. Too many jigs needed - short ones, intermediate ones, long ones, and the straight edge does not line up with the cutting edge, a pain if doing repetition cuts on different boards for shelving that have to be lined up 4 ft apart.
      Hank Lee

Comment

• Jim Frye
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Maumee, OH, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Didn't Stanley make that tool a hundred plus years ago without the motor? Sorry, couldn't resist.
        Jim Frye
        The Nut in the Cellar.
        ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• mpc
          • Feb 2005
          • Cypress, CA, USA.
          • BT3000 orig 13amp model

I wonder if a company could make a circular saw that accepted dado stacks or fatter than usual blades? Limit the depth capability to something appropriate to typical dado/groove cuts so the saw motor doesn't have to be ridiculously large/strong. Give it a 3/16ths or 1/4inch cutting width blade and something like Rockler's "perfect fit dado jig" as the saw foot/base so you can dial in different dado widths. You'd just cut larger dados in multiple passes with the stock "fat" blade.

mpc

Comment

• capncarl
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Leesburg Georgia USA
            • SawStop CTS

I do remember seeing an adjustable wobble dado blade in a circular saw somewhere before. If it fits between the guards it should work fine…… until it runs up your arm a time or two!

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

A basic Hand held dedicated dado circular saw with an arbor for a wobble dado up to 1/2" wide and 1/2" deep maximums would be attractive, even with a very slightly curved bottom.
              Easily adjustable with a dial on the side of the blade.
              Last edited by LCHIEN; 11-01-2021, 01:33 PM.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• twistsol
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
                • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Originally posted by Jim Frye
                Didn't Stanley make that tool a hundred plus years ago without the motor? Sorry, couldn't resist.
                Draw the edges, cut it with a back saw and hog out the dado with this. It's effective, but setting up the router is easier.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2473.jpeg
Views:	241
Size:	310.5 KB
ID:	845856
                In all seriousness though, I don't think I'd want a hand held tool spinning a dado blade. It seems like a recipe for disaster. Even using a dado blade on a radial arm saw can get dicey if you aren't careful. I've had one grab and run at me once and my feed rate is now about 1/3 of what it used to be.
                Chr's

Comment

• leehljp
                  Just me
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Tunica, MS
                  • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                  A basic Hand held dedicated dado circular saw with an arbor for a wobble dado up to 1/2" wide and 1/2" deep maximums would be attractive, even with a very slightly curved bottom.
                  Easily adjustable with a dial on the side of the blade.
                  Thanks Loring, I have thought of that and my mind is working on it. 3/8" would be the maxim depth that I would use, and probably 1/4 in. I really would like 3/4" width but the housing would not stand it. Up to 1/2 inch width Would be OK and I could settle for 3/8 inch width and make two passes. With you thinking along this line plus mine too, that might be dangerous. But I just might give it a try.

I have mentioned this a couple of times in the past nearly 20 years. Doing the middle of 7ft board with a dado is OK because the board is balanced, but to make a dado across the very end of a 7ft board on a TS is Not easy - unless one has a sliding table like this:
                  https://www.grizzly.com/products/gri...ble-saw/g0623x
                  Last edited by leehljp; 11-01-2021, 06:42 PM.
                  Hank Lee

Comment

• capncarl
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2007
                    • Leesburg Georgia USA
                    • SawStop CTS

I don’t think you would have much push back with a wobble dado. I do know what is meant about push back, the last time I used my circular saw cutting some still wet pressure treated 2x6 pine I could hardly hold the saw. When working outside I rarely set up a sawhorse, just plop a board down across two 5 gallon buckets and lop it off. With these wet boards I had to clamp it down across a couple of sawhorses and really hold onto the saw.
                    On the Marine base I went to a demonstration of a 7.5” metal cutting blade in a circular saw. The sales rep clamped a length 2x2 coll rolled steel in a vice and started to cut it with the circular saw blade full out. Everybody in my group hauled butt! Like getting out of Dodge! We were wrong, there was little kick back, just a few sparks and noise.
                    I think the big deal with push back is the operator’s position, being able to safely hold the saw and not loose your footing is important.

Comment

• leehljp
                      Just me
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Tunica, MS
                      • BT3000/3100

This really has me thinking. I am looking at a dedicated saw with a cast base rather than a stamped plate base. I will be looking at them at Lowes and HD, examining the lower (movable) blade housing for width to see how much "wobble" it can take without having to remove it.

Questions are:
                      - Can I remove the lower housing and add a 6" dado blade up to 3/4 inch width?

- Will a thicker blade require a different blade bolt? Will a bushing be needed? Where to find those? McMaster Carr?

- If and with the removal of the lower housing, is it any different in safety than a router bit sticking out the bottom of a router at 20,000 rpm, or a lathe with a spindle turning at 2000 rpm, or an old Delta 12" table saw without a blade housing? Why can we accept a spinning bit at 20,000 RPM sticking out 3/4 inch but not a blade at 3500 rpm on a saw blade? Saying something is unsafe on one while accepting it on another is faulty logic.

- What other questions am I missing?

Lots to think about, but I am serious about a easy tracking, easy set up dado that will work for crosscutting a dado at the ends of long boards - as well as the middle.
                      Hank Lee

Comment

• capncarl
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2007
                        • Leesburg Georgia USA
                        • SawStop CTS

It’s hard to say anything with a spinning blade is safe

Comment

• leehljp
                          Just me
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Tunica, MS
                          • BT3000/3100

One item that I am overlooking in making a circular saw into a dado cutter is that even with a 6" dado blade, - the weight will tax the motor. 7 1/2" circular saw motors were not designed for the weight/mass of dado. The mass will decrease the acceleration rate and if the saw has a brake, it will probably destroy it. I know this from my experiences in adding a metal blade to low end gas weed-eaters. Doesn't work well.

It probably would work better with worm drives though, because of the gearing and the tougher motors on them.

Two 6 inch diameter 1/4" wide blades side by side and spaced to do 3/8" cut, or even 1/2" cut ,might not bog it down too much, but it would require a double pass to get 3/4 inch dado.

Loring mentioned using a circular saw for dados before I did (see above) but we are not the first. I did a search and found a few references and questions as to the viability of using a circular saw for dados, and YES it has been done. Here is link to Wood Magazine and their article: https://www.woodmagazine.com/woodwor...des-cut-dadoes

By the way, I have been very serious about this and started looking for a dedicated circular saw for dados. Lowes has the Metabo (Hitachi) line and I liked the looks of the Metabo when I was in Lowes this past summer. I looked on Lowes web site yesterday and this morning. The Metabo 7 1/4 inch was $76/$78 yesterday and this morning. This afternoon it had jumped up to $99. Amazon Still has it for $74 I think.

BIG Jump in price in the matter of a few hours.
                          Last edited by leehljp; 11-02-2021, 10:43 PM.
                          Hank Lee

Comment

• LCHIEN
                            LCHIEN commented
                            Editing a comment
                            That article is for using multiple 7.25" circular saw blades on a table saw. Not using table saw dado blades on a circular saw..
                        • LCHIEN
                          Internet Fact Checker
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Katy, TX, USA.
                          • BT3000 vintage 1999

If you use a wobble type dado the mass won't be too great as there is only one blade, but the hub will be more massive but closer to the center so less moment of inertia. a restricted wobble width would reduce that mass somewhat. The one pictured goes up to 13/16" On the pictured Sears dado the amount of adjustment for 1/2" is just 1/3 the adjustment for the maximum 13/16"
                          The thing is that a longer arbor is needed for a hub that has an adjustable tilt.
                          And with a 7-1/4" blade the curve at the bottom will have a 3-5/8" radius to it. But no worse than wobble dados for table saws which are 7" by and large.
                          However the mechanics of it will result in perfectly vertical walls.
                          Some pictures of a 7" Craftsman wobble dado blade for sale on eBay
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by LCHIEN; 11-04-2021, 03:17 AM.
                          Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• leehljp
                            Just me
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Tunica, MS
                            • BT3000/3100

Thanks Loring. I am in the debate stage at the moment of trying this with a 6 inch stackable dado or the wobble type. I don't need both but sure hate to buy one and then find the other would do better.

Amazon has a 7 inch wobble type here for $38.10: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...SJ8XZPQC&psc=1
                            Hank Lee

Comment

Working...