• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jabe
    • Apr 2006
    • Hilo, Hawaii
    • Ryobi BT3000 & Delta Milwaukee 10" tilting Table circular saw

Kobalt 7 1/4" Dual Bevel Sliding Miter Saw 24 V. model # KMS 0724B-03

6 months ago my old Hitachi 10" Sliding Compound MS fell apart. The plastic parts were brittle just started cracking, the handle fell off. I needed to replace it as I was doing some crown molding on my cabinets and for cutting laminate flooring.
    Read/watched reviews the Kobalt model # KMS 0724B-03 had and decided to buy it $269.00 tool only at Lowe's in June 2020. Had to buy the charger & batteries separate, bought 2-4 amp batteries $99.00 and a quick charger $40.00. They recommend using a 6 amp battery but that was $99.00 ea. Thought the 2-4 amp batteries were a better deal and they work just fine as you'll always have a 2nd fully charged battery handy for the same price and each battery lasted several days. It has a greater cutting capacity than most other 7 1/4" SCMS and has a brushless motor with a 24V battery power. Out of the box it was pretty accurate, the blade that came with it was ok but, didn't last long cutting laminate flooring. Laminate flooring is brutal on your blades, just used Diablo 40T blades as they're cheap and just throw them away when dull. It was easy to use for cutting the crown as all the usual angles were marked 22.5 and 45 degrees and the plus is it's a dual bevel saw. It's light only about 30 lbs. so easy to carry around plus the handle on top and 2 on each side of the table. Performance was very good never bogged down and liked the shadow line of the blade so you know where it's cutting. It is much quieter than my 10" SCMS plus 7 1/4" blades are much cheaper. Like most miter saws it's not good at catching all the dust it makes even with a vacuum attached. Another issue is it cannot cut a 1 x 4 or 2 x 4 standing up on it's edge, gotta lay it flat. The Kobalt saw came in "Over All Best" with the "Tool Box Buzz" recent review with 11 other 7 1/4" saw brands (watch it on You Tube). I myself am very satisfied with it and highly recommend it.
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

I looked seriously at the Ryobi dual 18V battery powered 10" compound sliding miter saw, but can't find any. Glad I didn't find any, and got over the fever when I thought about my Makita 12" sliding compound that I have had for 20 years now. I does everything and anything I can ask of a miter saw except run on a battery!

Battery powered is getting nice enough that if I were just starting out, there would be differences in my purchases.
    Last edited by leehljp; 12-27-2020, 01:51 PM.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

I looked all over your three pictures but I couldn't find the battery pack. Hidden? On the right side but not viewable? Not installed at the time of the picture?

Just curious how large the 24V battery look on that saw.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• jabe
        • Apr 2006
        • Hilo, Hawaii

No battery was installed on the saw when I took the pictures. Battery slot is on the top back left of the top handle. The battery size is just a little bigger than a Milwaukee 18V 5amp battery. The Kobalt 24V batteries are affordable just look for sales. When Lowe's 1st brought out this saw they had Black Friday deals at $150.00 with charger & 1 battery. Now it's $269 bare tool, no Black Friday Deal this year. This saw looks similar to the Milwaukee dual bevel 7 1/4" saw.
        I hear you Leehijp, I would not have purchased this saw if my Hitachi didn't fall apart. I just needed it at that point in time to finish my job. But was pleasantly surprised by it's performance & accuracy and 7 1/4" blades are more affordable than 10" or 12" blades.

Comment

• jabe
          • Apr 2006
          • Hilo, Hawaii

Sorry I meant the battery is located on the top back right side of the saw when standing in front of the saw.

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

As an electrical engineer, it always bothers me when people say its a 18 V 5 A battery when its probably really 5 Amp-Hours or Ah.
            There's a big difference in meaning to engineers and batteries are never rated in Amps.
            Its as big as the difference between miles and miles per hour.
            Like I want to hear your car can go 50 miles, not 50 mph.
            I guess non engineers have no earthly idea what an Amp-hour really means.
            Last edited by LCHIEN; 12-26-2020, 11:58 PM.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• woodturner
              woodturner commented
              Editing a comment
              HI LCHIEN,

As a fellow EE, I agree on the Ah ratings :-)

Sometimes some batteries are rated for current, though, as an additional spec. For example, car batteries typically list a Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) number, which is a peak current that can be sustained for a short period of time.

Writing that got me curious, so I investigated how CCA is specified - "Since "Cold" is in the name, they put a battery in a cold environment (0°F/-18°C) and measure the discharge load in amperes that a new, fully-charged battery can deliver for 30 seconds, while still maintaining terminal voltage equal to or higher than 1.20 volts per cell." (https://www.optimabatteries.com/expe...mps-(cca)-mean)

Interesting, but as the article implies, Ah rating is still the better spec for choosing batteries.
          • Carlos
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2004
            • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

I'm a high school dropout, but thoroughly understand amp hours, watts, etc, because I'm a nerd. The unfortunate reality is that most people neither know nor need to care about these details, because in practice they just need to match the numbers the manufacturers provide. Since the tools generally do not have amp ratings, the math would be useless anyway. And who is going to run a circular saw for an hour? What's the run time with it in 1/2" plywood versus 2" Bubinga? The actual numbers are pretty useless. The grinder is the only tool where run time really matters to a non-pro, and they still don't give you anything to calculate. So I toss an 8-amp (hour) battery on it and go.

Comment

• d_meister
              Established Member
              • Feb 2009
              • La Conner, WA.
              • BT3000

CCA and Ampere hours are contrary marketing and informative specs. CCA is a spec for starting batteries and Amp Hours for deep cycle, although those qualities can be measured in either.. When looking at amphours, look at the specs carefully. Some vendors tweak the amp load for better specs. For flooded lead acid deep-cycle batteries, the industry norm is a 20 amp draw. There would be twice as many hours at 10 amps. It's also more prevalent with tool and electronics batteries, like on eBay. Everyone sells replacement batteries with more AH than original, but are the same exact size. There is a limit to the amount of energy that can come from a a given volume.
              Starting batteries are made differently than deep cycle. From Deka battery:
              "Therefore, a battery with more plate surface area and less resistance will deliver power quicker than one with less plate surface and high resistance. That’s why starting batteries are made with thinner plates...because you only use the power off the surface of the plates for starting the engine"

Comment

• Carlos
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2004
                • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

When would CCA ever apply to a tool battery?

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Carlos
                  When would CCA ever apply to a tool battery?
                  never
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• jabe
                    • Apr 2006
                    • Hilo, Hawaii

Loring you asked how large the 24V battery was not the AH rating. So my answer was meant to be physically comparable to a Milwaukee 18V 5 A battery. Yes I'm guilty of abbreviated AH but, most of you know what I meant. You guys are funny. Relax and have Happy New Year !!!

Comment

• twistsol
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
                      • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

I'm basically a caveman and have only a vague knowledge of what Ah means. At least I know "Big battery better" isn't necessarily true.

Ridgid batteries
                      Chr's

Comment

• LCHIEN
                        Internet Fact Checker
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Katy, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Ah Amp hours is not really hard.
                        Basically a 1 Ah battery will provide an amp of current flow for an hour. Or, 1/2 amp for 2 hours, or 2 A for 1/2 hour. Any current-time product equal to 1.
                        4 Ah will provide the same 1 Amp current for about four hours. or 1/2 A for 8 hours.

Its really a measure of size, or capacity as we call it. It can literally be converted to a quantity of electrons that can be provided.
                        If a battery capacity is like a bucket, then capacity would be gallons.
                        Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• jabe
                          • Apr 2006
                          • Hilo, Hawaii

Kobalt 7 1/4" Dual Bevel 24 V. cordless Compound Miter Saw. After doing my laminate flooring 1700 sq. ft. house, I had to change the blade 6 times on the saw ( laminate flooring is brutal on saw blades). The blade bolt started to get rounded and the allen wrench was starting to slip making it harder to tighten & loosen the bolt. The wrench was in good shape so the blade bolt is made with softer material. So I contacted Lowe's via email and they told me to contact CS for Kobalt tools. I called them and told them the problem and that I wanted a new blade bolt. He noted on the receipt that the saw was only 6 months old. This is what he told me, they don't have spare parts or sell parts, so he said I could return the saw for a full refund or exchange it at any Lowes store. He gave me a reference # to show Lowe's CS that this was authorized by Kobalt and I would have no problems doing the exchange or get a full refund. Since I had the batteries & charger already, I decided to just exchange for a new saw. I did this last week with no problem. They could have given me a new bolt which would have cost a few cents + postage instead of exchanging the whole saw. Go figure how can they stay in business with this policy. But it's good for the consumer and now I know they stand by their warranty.

Comment

• twistsol
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
                            • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Originally posted by jabe
                            ...But it's good for the consumer and now I know they stand by their warranty.
                            It's good for the consumer when the saw is under warranty. When it's out of warranty your option changes to buy a new saw. Glad to hear they took care of you.

I had to scrap and replace an 8 year old Delta 6" jointer because I couldn't get parts. I did not replace it with a Delta product. Ridgid's lifetime warranty / service agreement is great, especially for batteries, if you follow the rules to the letter and register your tools properly. If not you're out of luck.
                            Chr's

Comment

Working...