• Show
Clear All
  • GrumpyDad
    Established Member
    • Jul 2020
    • Midwest
    • Ryobi BT3100, BT3000, Sawstop PCS

Track Saws

Interested in what brands/models folks are using. Breaking down sheet goods seems so much safer with this type of tool.

Harumpf!
    GrumpyDad
    Harumpf!
    GrumpyDad
  • jussi
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007

I have both festool saws. Work great but they are pricey. I bought the dewalt cordless a while back when they had those blow out prices. I thought it was also very good but the plunge mechanism is a little different and I was pretty used to festool mech already. I ended up selling the dewalt mainly because I’m pretty heavily invested in green already but if I didn’t and was just stating out I wouldn’t hesitate with dewalt. I’ve briefly used the my friends makita and thought it worked just as well for the short tome I used it. I highly suggest using it with a vac. You don’t need an expensive ct model from festool or fein but the auto start feature is nice. But again not necessary. You may need an adapter to make them compatible but I think Rockler one should work
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

If I could have afforded the Festool, I would have bought it. However, I ended up buying the Grizzly with an extra track to have both a 4ft+ and an 8Ft+.

I thought I should have bought the Dewalt or maybe one other over the Grizzly. The grizzly was an impulse buy because I could get one at the moment I needed (in Springfield MO) and at a good price.

I am totally glad I bought the Grizzly.

Here is why: I found out that I don't use the track saw nearly as much as I thought I would. Not even 1/10th as much. I have a lot of saw horses and saw tables. I found that (for me) that I could set up the saw tables and horses for feeding a sheet across the table as quick as I could get my track saw set up and centered. OR use my circular saw quicker.

When I was in Japan, I had a vertical plywood saw like you see at HD or Lowes. It worked well. But I did not use it that much. I spent more time making it than using it. BTW I could rip or cross cut with it.

The Track saw does allow you to rip or cross cut a sheet of plywood without splintering better than a circular saw, and that is a huge advantage. And a table saw is moot if you don't have tables/saw horses in place to use with the TS.

For me, I don't use my tracksaw nearly as much as I thought I would.

But for some people, The track saw is the cats meow and it works great. AND you get to accumulate more tools!
      Last edited by leehljp; 09-11-2020, 07:37 PM.
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

I discovered that the Makita track saw used the same tracks as the Festool Track saw, and could find little difference in the saw itself, so,I purchased that set up with 8+ feet of track. The cost savings was substantial. I set up and cut on my large outfeed table on a sheet of Blue styrofoam insulation. I believe that the Festool track saw, or a Makita setup combined with Festools MFT table could replace a table saw in a shop with a good band saw, sliding miter saw and router table.

Comment

• atgcpaul
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2003
          • Maryland
          • Grizzly 1023SLX

I have the corded Dewalt with 4' and 8' tracks. I don't have experience with other track saws but the plunge is unique as mentioned above. I don't dislike it as it's all that I know.

I've cut thick butcher block countertops with it and.have also used it to cut long bevels. It did well with both.

Man, I wish I had a cordless version, though.

If I was starting from scratch, though, for the money, I would check out the Kreg Accucut and pair it with a cordless saw. Like Hank said, I'm glad to have a tracksaw and it's very handy, but it's not an every day use tool. YMMV

Comment

• twistsol
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
            • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

I have the Festool TS75 and a variety of tracks. The only problem I've ever had with it was when I dropped it off the roof of the house. Festool's service is fast and uncharacteristically reasonably priced. Other than price, I haven't heard complaints about any of the major brands.

When I was evaluating them yeas ago, the only one I didn't like in actual use was the DeWalt. The plunge mechanism at the time went straight down like a plunge router rather than pivoting. It just felt more awkward. When first using one, the plunge action on a saw is going to feel weird.
            Chr's

Comment

• Condoman44
              Established Member
              • Nov 2013
              • CT near Norwich
              • Ryobi BT3000

I have the Makita with the two 4' + tracks that I join for 8' sheets. I was happy the track was the same as Festool so I could use the splicing adapters. I use the Dewalt clamps as I like them better and they are one handed.

I made a couple of blocks that let me get a better track placement to the edge of the sheet. One block is for keep the cutoff piece the other is keep the keep the non cutoff piece (the difference being the saw width). This allows me to deduct 1" from the dimension and get an accurate cut when measured to the edge of the sheet.

With my setup I cut on a grid of 2 X 4's attached to saw horses. This is done to breakdown sheets in the garage before bringing into the basement to finish. I only wished I had this tool 10 years earlier.

Comment

• BadeMillsap
                • Dec 2005
                • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
                • Grizzly G1023SL

Originally posted by leehljp
                If I could have afforded the Festool, I would have bought it. However, I ended up buying the Grizzly with an extra track to have both a 4ft+ and an 8Ft+.

I thought I should have bought the Dewalt or maybe one other over the Grizzly. The grizzly was an impulse buy because I could get one at the moment I needed (in Springfield MO) and at a good price.

I am totally glad I bought the Grizzly.

Here is why: I found out that I don't use the track saw nearly as much as I thought I would. Not even 1/10th as much. I have a lot of saw horses and saw tables. I found that (for me) that I could set up the saw tables and horses for feeding a sheet across the table as quick as I could get my track saw set up and centered. OR use my circular saw quicker.

When I was in Japan, I had a vertical plywood saw like you see at HD or Lowes. It worked well. But I did not use it that much. I spent more time making it than using it. BTW I could rip or cross cut with it.

The Track saw does allow you to rip or cross cut a sheet of plywood without splintering better than a circular saw, and that is a huge advantage. And a table saw is moot if you don't have tables/saw horses in place to use with the TS.

For me, I don't use my tracksaw nearly as much as I thought I would.

But for some people, The track saw is the cats meow and it works great. AND you get to accumulate more tools!
                I too bought the Grizzly with track extension and am totally satisfied with it. I put a better blade on and have never looked back. I agree that there are times when a plain old circular saw is all you need BUT when you need to make that long straight cut (ripping plywood is a good example) that track saw is the cats meow. I am sure the more expensive versions are better in some regards but for my money the Griz is all I need.

"Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
                Bade Millsap
                Bulverde, Texas
                => Bade's Personal Web Log
                => Bade's Lutherie Web Log

Comment

• GrumpyDad
                  GrumpyDad commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Which Grizzly model did you buy?
              • jon_ramp
                Established Member
                • Feb 2007
                • western Chicago burb
                • Craftsman 21829

Do you think this system would work as well as the Grizzly? https://www.truetracsaw.com/

Comment

• capncarl
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2007
                  • Leesburg Georgia USA
                  • SawStop CTS

If the saw truetracsaw web site I s any indication of their product I would have to say NO.

Any site that randomly jumps from photo to photo and weird screens pop up asking if you were leaving already? i have my doubts.

Comment

• twistsol
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
                    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Disclaimer I haven't used this, but only saw them at the woodworking show in Milwaukee in 2019 and took the picture below. My notes on the photo were that the guide plates were sloppy on the track, lost alot of cut capacity to thickness of guide plate. Gap between guide plate and material being cut (no zero clearance without modification) track itself looks solid and locks together straight, overall unimpressed.

TrueTrac at woodorking show Milwaukee 2019
                    Chr's

Comment

Working...