How to get the "bits" out of the bit holder?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

How to get the "bits" out of the bit holder?

I ordered a couple of these Bosch impact driver BIT holder and a couple of Makita bit holders also. I got tired of the cheap ones for various reasons. Anyway, these bit holders have a spring catch and when the bits are put in, they are almost impossible to get out.

Bit Holder: impact driver bit holder: https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-ITBH201...7540621&sr=8-4

Bits: https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-CCSPHV2...7540929&sr=8-7

99% of the time, I have just used the short bit inserts in cheaper bit holders.

For you professionals or expert users, how do you get those Bosch (and DeWalt and other good bits) out of the higher quality bit holders? The spring clip locks them in. I had to get some large pliers to pull one out. Is that normal, or am I missing something?
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Hank, did you read the amazon reviews? The first one you linked several complained about how hard it was to get the bits out after use.

Also there is a Q&A section in Amazon for the product, it appears Bosch customer service is actively monitoring and responding, so I just posted your question there, if I get a response I'll put it here.

Not sure if you were complaining about how to get it out of the bit set holder (plastic carrier) or the impact bit holder. Ambiguous because both are technically "bit holders" but quite different.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 08-16-2020, 01:04 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Condoman44
      Established Member
      • Nov 2013
      • CT near Norwich
      • Ryobi BT3000

I usually just push down on the bit until enough sticks out that I can grab it. Not easy with old tired fingers.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Amazon question answered about plastic bit holder
        Q: how do you get bits out of the this bit holders? The spring clip locks them in. I had to get some large pliers to get them out. IS that normal?
        A: It is not because of the bit. I have a 12" extension that has a spring lock for the bit socket. I can't get the bit out without pliers as well. The bits slip in and out of all my other tools just fine.
        By RA Fisher on August 16, 2020
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• leehljp
          Just me
          • Dec 2002
          • Tunica, MS
          • BT3000/3100

Thanks Loring. I'm complaining about how to get the longer bits out of the bit holder. The bit holder has a magnet and that little ring in it that refuses to release the bits. I did read the complaint earlier but I I had not yet experience it. Most of the time, I use the little short bits, in the cheaper bit holders. But I have had two cheap ones in which the shaft came out of the sleeve, and two cheap ones in which the little magnet inside came loose and fell out. I got tired of cheap ones and decided to get a few quality ones. I am not used to the differences.

I will just keep a pair of large pliers close by. I do get into situations in which I have to change bits several times in a project. I decided that I need to put a Phillips bit in one and a star bit in another and switch bit holders. That might be the best way for me.
          Hank Lee

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

I keep having to read your posts carefully. As to which of the picture bit holders you are complaining about. I presume now you mean the Impact bit holder, not the plastic storage bit holder.

Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• leehljp
              Just me
              • Dec 2002
              • Tunica, MS
              • BT3000/3100

Yes, the impact bit holders.

If you have not experienced the good bit holders with the little ring just inside the mouth, and a long bit, you may not understand the frustration. For me, after the first frustrating try and getting the first one out with pliers yesterday, I have tried it several times and just realize that I need a good set of pliers and a strong "yank". I'll get used to it.
              Hank Lee

Comment

• Carlos
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2004
                • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

Doesn't your impact driver have its own bit holder? I'm confused. I just put the bits into the driver. And these days I keep two drivers at the bench, for faster switching. The Dewalt impact drivers have a one-handed bit release.

I'm extremely happy with the Milwaukee 3" long bits for general purpose usage.

Comment

• leehljp
                  Just me
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Tunica, MS
                  • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by Carlos
                  Doesn't your impact driver have its own bit holder? I'm confused. I just put the bits into the driver. And these days I keep two drivers at the bench, for faster switching. The Dewalt impact drivers have a one-handed bit release.

I'm extremely happy with the Milwaukee 3" long bits for general purpose usage.
                  I wish it were that simple.

Mostly I use the short, about 3/4" long bits, but those will not fit in an impact driver with the quick release. I keep a box of DeWalt short bits on hand. I like those as they are very durable but those (because they are short) slip so far down into the one handed release that they won't engage a screw. I keep the extension type bit holder in my impact driver for those. However, as mentioned, I have had 4 of the cheaper ones go bad in the last 18 months or so. Therefore I decided to get a better quality extension.

And I decided to get some longer bits too. (The longer bits as in the second link in the OP work with the quick release on the Impact Driver but not on the extension holder because they won't come out. ) BUT if I take the extension holder out and use the long bits as they should be in the impact driver with the quick release - I will LOSE the extension bit. I can't seem to remove their legs. They run off instantly.

Danged if I do, Danged if I don't.
                  Hank Lee

Comment

• Carlos
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2004
                    • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

This may be something you already know, but the longer bits with a thin shank are both safer and more powerful. The flex they provide helps the impact driver do its work. Just a thought, since I don't know what motivates your choice for short bits with an extender.

Comment

• d_meister
                      Established Member
                      • Feb 2009
                      • La Conner, WA.
                      • BT3000

Way back when I used impact wrenches daily as a mechanic, I learned from others, and bitter experience, that extensions absorb the impacts and make the impact wrench or driver less effective. I have a 2 foot long 1/2" x 1/2" Snap-on extension that works OK for hard to reach apps, and I also have a 2' long Snap-on extension that is half inch at the drive end, and 3/8" at the tool end. The thing is thinner along it's length and doesn't work in the same application using the same 3/8" socket with an adapter on the 1/2"x 1/2" extension. The thinner extension is also less effective when using it with a hand ratchet. I bought the thing initially to use with my Snap-on 3/8" u-joint spark plug socket because the combination of the 2' 1/2" x 1/2" an adapter, and the socket were hard to keep together. Using the new 3 piece set-up vs. the old 4 piece setup worked poorly. I had always used a short 12" ratchet with the arrangement, but found that with the thinner extension, I would really have to muscle it to remove spark plugs, and when it released, the back lash would snap and reverse the ratchet pawl setting. The end result is I have several 1/2" x 3/8" barely used extensions in different lengths. Sure are pretty, though.
                      Just saw these, for the first time:
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	TlimitX.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	840334

Comment

• Carlos
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2004
                        • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

That's all accurate. However, the results and effect on a huge impact with long extensions on large fasteners is very different from what you get with these small drivers and a 2-3" bit on small fasteners into wood. Both the documentation and my experience tells me that the change it makes is totally positive. I've completely switched.

Comment

• leehljp
                          Just me
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Tunica, MS
                          • BT3000/3100

Carlos,

I would love to be able to standardize on longer bits of different kinds but that would be an investment - Phillips of different sizes, square drive, star drive, hex/allen sizes. But it would cost some money that I would rather put in other places.

I also live in a small town about 30 miles from Lowes, HD, Tractor Supply and welding equipment shops. We have two hardware stores. I went into one about 3 years ago and asked for some Bosch T-jigsaw blades. They had not heard of them. Just straight shanks. If you want something done now with screws, you use Phillips drivers because that is all you will find in this town.

However, when I was in Japan, their go-to was Phillips drives also, and usually with short shank bits.
                          Hank Lee

Comment

Working...