• Show
Clear All
  • GrumpyDad
    Established Member
    • Jul 2020
    • Midwest
    • Ryobi BT3100, BT3000, Sawstop PCS

Router bit storage

My router bits are starting to stack up. Asking the group for ideas on storage. My shop area has a dehumidifier but it can still get damp. As of right now I am using prescription pill bottles and inserting each bit with a small square of oiled leather and a desiccant packet.

Ideas ? Critique?

Harumpf!
    GrumpyDad
    Harumpf!
    GrumpyDad
  • cwsmith
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • NY Southern Tier, USA.
    • BT3100-1

Years ago, sometime between 2003 and 2005, I bought my first set of router bits. They were a 40-piece, carbide 1/4-inch shank set from Ryobi. They came in a nice cabinet with Plexiglas doors. In addition to the pull-out blocks that each held five bits, there are two storage blocks for 1/2 inch shank bit. Here's and image that I just found via Google:

A year or so later, I purchased a nice 1/2- shank set from a place that was recommended here on this forum. I haven't seen them in several years now. They were in a wooden case that I keep on a shelf under my router table. I've added a couple of Bosch 1/2-inch shanks since then and even bought this little folding Ryobi box set

Over the years I've only broken one bit, but that's beside the point of what you're asking. Personally I like the wall-hanging, if you've got the space. I've seen a number of 'drawer' designs too, but again it's what works best for you. My boxed set of 1/2-inch shank is also convenient, but only because I keep it directly under the router table where I can just pull it out and open it on an adjacent table. The big trick for me is to keep bits together and not in separate containers where I will surely misplace them.

You can easily make your own storage box or whatever and there are several retailers who sell those plastic inserts to hold the shanks. I know Rockler, Lee-Valley, and probably a few others. Likewise you can buy anti-corrosion materials too, everything from silica canisters to electric rod dehumidifiers for small areas like a router-bit storage cabinet. I live in NY's Southern Tier where humidity is a problem anytime it is warm. Here in the basement, I run a dehumidifier. Out in the work shed, I've found very little moisture problems.

Hope this helps,

CWS
    Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

I have a 30-piece MLCS set that I have used a lot of the bits from. I later got the 66-piece set but have found I've used very few of those bits so I regret purchasing it. I think I got it from a user here on BT3 Central and should have been forewarned that he didn't use it much either. Both sets are in the original display boxes nicely organized and labeled by type and size. Seems to protect them well.

My other bits: I keep a 45 degree chamfer and some straight bits (1/4 downcut spiral and 1/3" downcut spiral and sometimes a 1/4" roundover) basically in a holder as I use them a lot. Then I have a whole bunch of bits in the little original plastic sleeves in a drawer in one of those plastic multi-drawer organizers. I like to keep the names and size with them so I know what I'm looking at, small radii are very deceiving when looking a bit.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

If I were starting over and knowing what I know now (experience and planning) I would order these and build two or three drawers around these"

I built this back in 2002 when I was in Japan; I left the router table there and built me another one recently and used the same design for the drawers. I now have 4 drawers full of router bits. If I were to rebuild (which I do NOT plan on doing, I would use the foam rubber matts above. I could drill holes but it sure is nice not having to drill so many holes. PLUS, 1/2 in is not large enough. You need either 33/64 or 17/32. The first set I did 1/2 inch and then sanded the holes. Humidiy gets into the wood and will leave rust marks on the shanks. Look for an purchase a good 17/32" bit for 1/2 inch bits and a 9/32" bit for the 1/4 inch shanks. Too much space and they will wobble around.

Click image for larger version

Name:	RouterBit drawers.jpeg
Views:	268
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	840296
        Attached Files
        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Yeah, I have bought 33/64 and 17/32 bits for just the purpose Hank suggests, they make perfect slip fit holders for 1/2" shank router bits. You'll have a 17/64ths in your normal bit sets with 1/64th inch-increments .

I just like it when there's a slip fit with no play... it's very functional that way too, Just a hint of friction as you pull them out.Won't fall out.
          I have a little 3 x 5.5" parking lot for bits, 10 holes alternating 1/4 and 1/2 holes when I'm doing a lot of bit swapping and to put the chamfer bit I normally leave in the router table. Holds several bits but easy to move out of the way.And keeps the bits from getting knocked about and chipping the carbides.
          Last edited by LCHIEN; 08-15-2020, 04:15 AM.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Here's my Router bit parking lot. Stays in the vicinity of the router table to temporarily place bits without worrying about them rolling off the table or scratching of damaging stuff that gets set on them, or hitting the carbide edges. Four felt or rubber pads on the bottom.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Router bit parking resized.jpg Views:	0 Size:	91.3 KB ID:	840322

Go directly to Free Parking, Do not Pass Go. Do not Collect $200
            Last edited by LCHIEN; 08-16-2020, 07:04 PM.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• twistsol
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
              • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

I just used pine boards with 1/2 or 1/4 holes drilled in them cut to fit snugly in the drawers of my router table. There are spacers on the bottom of the boards to raise them up from the drawer bottom so the shanks are able to go in a bit deeper.

Router Bit Storage in Drawer

Router Bit storage tray
              Chr's

Comment

Working...