• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Titebond speed glue for wood

Titebond speed glue for woodClick image for larger version  Name:	01105_4714GP_Speed_Set_Eblast.png?width=1110&upscale=true&name=01105_4714GP_Speed_Set_Eblast.png Views:	0 Size:	259.0 KB ID:	839699

But its only available in 1, 2.5 and 5 gallon sizes!
    I was thinking I could pick up a 4 oz bottle to try and use when I needed something that set (twice) as fast.
    And it doesn't even say, is it waterproof?
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

I saw that today also. I would like to have some. There is a Titebond in an 8 oz bottle that is fast:

Shop Titebond Quick and Thick Multi-Surface Glue Clear, Quick Dry Interior Wood Adhesive (Actual Net Contents: 8-fl oz) in the Wood Adhesive department at Lowe's.com. This multi-surface glue is the thickest, fastest-drying water-based glue available for use with porous and semi-porous materials. It is ideal for wood,

I have some of that but I haven't tried it as a speed set.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Carlos
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

Quick and thick is interesting, but it's not a replacement for normal glue. It's a bit too heavy.

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

Thick vrs thin.... I’ve noted that thick superglue doesn’t hold as well in test conditions as thin. Probably because the thin soaks into the wood pores better than the thick.

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by capncarl
          Thick vrs thin.... I’ve noted that thick superglue doesn’t hold as well in test conditions as thin. Probably because the thin soaks into the wood pores better than the thick.
          do you really mean superglues or do you mean wood glues like this thread discusses?
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• capncarl
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Leesburg Georgia USA
            • SawStop CTS

Yes, I was talking about thick superglue, the same properties that make thin superglue hold tighter should also be true with this Titebond.

Comment

• leehljp
              Just me
              • Dec 2002
              • Tunica, MS
              • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by capncarl
              OFF TOPIC FROM TITEBOND.
              Capncarl, it depends more on the situation /context than the specific CA glue type and I am sure this could be applied to Titebond also.

Thin DOES sink into the wood better. That is a given. But Thin also thins out in small gap situations and does not maintain a lock between one board and the other all the way across except in perfect conditions. This has proven to be true in pen making. AS the pen blanks are drilled out and there is a small gap between the hole in the wood and the outside of the brass tube (when it is inserted in the hole), it has been proven time and again, that the thin CA glue is not making full contact fully between the two; if the mating is not perfect, the glue will not fill in fully and leave gaps. Many times Thin CA will drizzle all the way through and come out the other end.

It is eye opening to see a "blowout" of a blank (caused by one of several possible reasons) and see the actual adhesion spots inside. The blown apart blank reveals where adhesion was and is. Thick CA and even epoxy do have more as they are gap filling (And this applies to Titebond also), but even those (in pen blank situations) do not adhere fully. The only fully adhering gap filling glue is polyurethaning glue that bubbles and expands.

Bottom line is - in gap filling situations, thick will do better (be stronger for the situation) than thin in both super glue (CA) and Titebond.
              Last edited by leehljp; 06-21-2020, 08:52 AM.
              Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Carlos
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2004
                • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

Same with the Quick and Thick versus standard. Gluing up something that's not perfectly flat and smooth, the thicker glue is far better. But it behaves a little oddly on normal, fully finished, hardwood glue-ups. It could be I need more practice.

For cyano, I can't say enough great things about the 2P-10 products and having ALL of them on hand for the specific task, along with nozzles and needles.

Comment

Working...