X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Carlos
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

Just shot latex primer with it this morning. Thinned to 50-ish seconds, and added a medium amount of Floetrol. Worked great with a 1.8mm nozzle. Super easy cleanup. It was a project for a neighbor's kid and I had him spraying decently in a few minutes. Totally easy to use. Popped the cup and capped it to resume primering other pieces tomorrow. Love it.

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

Carlos, Two Question on the Accuspray 2.0. I am seriously considering the 3M 2.0 because I hate the clean up on the two HF HVLP sprayers I have. I love HLVP painting results but the cleanup makes me only use them on big projects. I sure could use them on smaller projects.

QUESTION 1: I have a good compressor but its pressure regulator is located at the tank. I am not fond of changing that regulator from 100PSI to 24 PSI and back to 100 everytime. (100PSI is where I keep it most of the time but it can go higher.) IS there an adjustable regulator that can be put inline or next to the the sprayer?

UPDATE: My Mind Is SLOW. I have a regulator (3M) on one of my HVLP HF sprayer!

QUESTION 2: Is a 3/8 in line OK for HVLP? For some reason my mind can't comprehend 1/4" and 3/8" delivering high volume. But there are lots of things I have learned by listening, reading and watching!

Anyone else want to chime in, please do.

Thanks
      Last edited by leehljp; 02-06-2020, 07:28 PM.
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Carlos
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

It's like 3M thought of everything. There's a flow control valve and regulator included with the gun. You will adjust the flow to 20 PSI *with the gun fully open* which is the key. Input pressure is irrelevant (I couldn't find any max, and minimum is 24 PSI). I leave my compressor at 90 at all times. I added a 6' Flexzilla whip permanently attached to the gun, and then a regular air connector at the end of that. The Flexzilla hose is super soft plus has a swivel fitting at the end near the gun. Perfect for shooting in all directions, since this gun can do it.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (Note you also need a female to female thread coupler to attach this)

I also built a cart for my spraying needs, I should post some pics and thoughts.

I used all the normal types of lines and couplers, and it certainly flows enough. However I tried adding an inline air drier with a high CFM rating, and it's obviously a false rating. It's unusable and drops the flow so the pressure is well under 20 in use. My full rig is:

CH Contractor Extreme 4 gallon compressor
        4' 1/2" hose to wall mounted shutoff valve
        Wall mounted drier/filter, regulator, and multiple couplers
        Harbor Freight 3/8" hose reel
        Standard coupler
        Flexzilla whip
        Regulator/flow control
        Gun

I continue to be super happy that I made this change. I also picked up the big kit of "midi" cups, as well as "starter kits" of ten cups each on all the other sizes. So far I've used a maxi cup for primer, two midis for paint, a mini for lacquer, and a micro for some crazy expensive tri-coat pearl auto paint. The micro let me use just 1.5 ounces of this expensive paint effectively. (Lamborghini Balloon White Pearl.)

I also sprayed some under-thinned latex just to see what would happen, using the 2.0 nozzle. It was EXCELLENT! Great coverage in a single coat. From now on I will thin less than normal, and just use the huge nozzle for latex. Lacquer was shot with a 1.4 thinned as normally recommended, and the automotive base with the 1.3 and recommended reducer volume.

I've taught two young boys how to spray now (10, 13). Both picked up the gun and were reasonably good, for kids, in just minutes.​​​​​​​

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5754.jpeg
Views:	231
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	838578

Comment

• Carlos
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2004
          • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

I've sprayed a few more projects, so time for an update. I'm simply in love with the Accuspray gun and PPS 2.0 systems. Everything is just so easy and fast. I currently have several finishes just sitting in the PPS cups, ready to be re-used, because they seal well and nothing seems to dry in them, so far. I have used three sizes of nozzles, and haven't put enough wear on any to feel like I need replacement. I've used the micro cups for a very expensive auto paint, mini cup for a small job, midi cups for medium jobs, and one jumbo cup for a larger job with latex. They all just work well.

The fact that the Accuspray/PPS can be held in literally any orientation is still breaking my brain. I forget, and try to shoot things without inverting it. Then I remember and just go ahead and shoot upward or whatever.

Comment

• Slik Geek
            • Dec 2006
            • Lake County, Illinois
            • Ryobi BT-3000

Thanks for the update! Your posts are very helpful and interesting.

Comment

• leehljp
              Just me
              • Dec 2002
              • Tunica, MS
              • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by Carlos
              I've sprayed a few more projects, so time for an update. I'm simply in love with the Accuspray gun and PPS 2.0 systems. Everything is just so easy and fast. I currently have several finishes just sitting in the PPS cups, ready to be re-used, because they seal well and nothing seems to dry in them, so far. I have used three sizes of nozzles, and haven't put enough wear on any to feel like I need replacement. I've used the micro cups for a very expensive auto paint, mini cup for a small job, midi cups for medium jobs, and one jumbo cup for a larger job with latex. They all just work well.

The fact that the Accuspray/PPS can be held in literally any orientation is still breaking my brain. I forget, and try to shoot things without inverting it. Then I remember and just go ahead and shoot upward or whatever.
              OK, after reading all that I have on the Accuspray and 2.0 system, and looking at the options, your simple paragraph above made it all come together for me. Because there is no air in it, And the use of cups & lids as well as disposable liners, Each batch of paint is a self contained unit in its own unit and the left over can easily be stored and used later; etc.

I was confused on why the need for extra hard cups and lids. I knew the need for numerous disposable containers. I understand now, after reading how you use it: Several cups and lids with numerous collapsable containers. And of different sizes. It all makes sense now. Thanks.
              Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Carlos
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2004
                • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

Yeah, the liners alone or with their hard covers sit in a dedicated slot in my painting cart. See the photos in that thread. They need to sit with the opening down, so I built a place for them. I have two hard cups in mini, three in midi, and one each in micro and whatever they call the largest size. I bought my full kit in midi, and then picked up "starter" kits in the other sizes on eBay. I think the midi will be my most-used, but I'm not certain yet, I shoot small-ish stuff so maybe mini. It's not a big deal to use an oversized cup though.

There will be a little bit of air in the cups, because you're supposed to drain the gun before removing the cup. This will let in a bit of air. But it's like the air in a paint can, which takes a long time to dry. If you're careful, you can minimize the air. Or just not drain the gun and dump out what's left in it.

Comment

Working...