• Show
Clear All
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

HF Lithium Ion Jump Starter Power Pack

I bought one of HF's Viking Power Pack Jump Starters back in February and used it several times almost immediately and during February. I kept it in the trunk of my car until today. My lawn tractor hadn't been started in a month and while it would turn over kinda slow, - I got the charger out, it showed full power available and when I hooked it up, the lawn tractor turned at full speed and cranked.

I guess I was amazed that I had not used the power pack in 6 months (nor had it charged since the original charging) and it showed it was fully charged.

Although a little on the expensive side, this is one great starter and power pack. SMALL But POWERFUL!

Anyone else have one and use it? (I did use a 20% off coupon with it when I purchased it.)

https://www.harborfreight.com/mercha...ack-62749.html
    Last edited by leehljp; 07-05-2019, 09:26 PM.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
  • cwsmith
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • NY Southern Tier, USA.
    • BT3100-1

I have one that I bought a couple of years ago. Brought it home and charged it and stuck it in the van where I more or less forgot about it. About four or five months later a fellow was visiting the Doc's office next door and apparently left the lights on in his pickup, so when he came out his battery dead. I spotted him across the street with his hood up and so I went out to see if I could assist (I do this often). He explained what happened and offered me $20 if I could use my vehicle to jump him. I of course keep jumper cables in the van, and also have a battery eliminator/charger in the garage, but I thought it the perfect opportunity to try out this "Viking Compact Power Pack"! I wasn't so sure if it was going to do the trick, as this truck engine looked a lot bigger than the "six" in my van, but sure enough, it turned over and fired immediately! The fellow had never seen one of those before and when I told him I got it at HF, he said he was going there directly and handed me the twenty. I told him thanks, but I don't accept payment for ever helping people, and that he should use it to buy the power pack.

I have yet found the need to use it on my vehicle, but so far I must have jumped at least four other cars over the past two winters. I also found it great for charging the cell phone, as it does so much faster than the usual wall charger.

There are other brands out there and my son bought one of those, as he doesn't have an HF in his area. For the price of about $70, it really something everyone should have. It seems to hold a charge very well, but I check mine every four months or so. I notice that even after jumping a vehicle, the status light is usually only down one!

Off the subject a bit, but another recent product that I have found really sort of neat, is those "Atomic" lighters. A local retailer had those on sale last year and I bought one out of curiosity. I don't smoke and never have, but I just thought that if it worked it would be a great addition to my emergency bag. It works great, and after one charge I decided to test it... turning it on every day and giving it ten ignitions.... and I did that everyday for three months and it was still working fine off the original charge. So, I bought one for my grandson, who does a lot of hiking and camping. Even though he knows how to "rub-two-sticks-together" (as my wife call it), this little lighter saves as lot of time and effort!

CWS
    Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• Carlos
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

I keep this in the back of the Jeep. It can start anything I've tried it on, plus when out camping or just off-roading, I can use it to charge phones and laptops.

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

While we are at it, I bought a dozen of the HF plastic ammo boxes when on sale below $3.00. I have one that I keep the power pack in plus all the paraphernalia that comes with it. And I added a strip of red duct tape around it so that I can spot it easily.

I haven't tried charging my phone or other things with it yet but I know it can. Carlos, seeing that one on Amazon blow $60, and it looks remarkably similar to the HF Viking - I have thought about getting a second one to keep in my wife's SUV.

ATOMIC Lighters - I have never paid any attention to them. Wow, I need one for my smoker grill, one for LOML and her 1000 (it seems like) candles, and one for my grandson the hunter!

Thanks fellows for the input.
        Hank Lee

Comment

• KenBurris
          Established Member
          • Jan 2003
          • Cincinnati, OH, USA.

Got my brother this one for xmas, he used it once so far for good results
          Buy GOOLOO Quick Charge in & Out, 500A Peak SuperSafe Car Jump Starter (Up to 4.5L Gas) Power Pack 12V Auto Battery Booster Portable Phone Charger, Built-in LED Light, Black/Red: Jump Starters - Amazon.com ✓ FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases
          Ken in Cincinnati

Pretend this line says something extremely witty

Comment

• capncarl
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Leesburg Georgia USA
            • SawStop CTS

I have a 5-6 year old Craftsman “Jump starter” battery pack that I like a lot....... but the battery is dead dead dead. It must be quite a battery because it will stretch your arm when you pick it up. I like it because it has a 110 v inverter in it with a 2 plug receptical, a strong tire pump compressor, an air mattress inflator, a fairly diecent light and several usb charger recepticals. The replacement battery is $70-$80. I wonder if this HF jump starter would work as a donor battery for my Craftsman jump starter?

Comment

• leehljp
              Just me
              • Dec 2002
              • Tunica, MS
              • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by capncarl
              I have a 5-6 year old Craftsman “Jump starter” battery pack that I like a lot....... but the battery is dead dead dead. It must be quite a battery because it will stretch your arm when you pick it up. I like it because it has a 110 v inverter in it with a 2 plug receptical, a strong tire pump compressor, an air mattress inflator, a fairly diecent light and several usb charger recepticals. The replacement battery is $70-$80. I wonder if this HF jump starter would work as a donor battery for my Craftsman jump starter?
              I'm not one to say if it could or not, but will comment on the " All In One Jump Starter". I learned that for me, I don't use chargers or boosters on a regular basis, and if not used on a regular basis, rechargeable batteries of any type, lead acid (sealed or not) ni-cad, or NiMH, they did not last moe than 2 to 5 years, and I stayed away from them. But the Lithium Ion batteries hold a charge without getting the "memory" problem or just dying.

I would think that a good Li-ion battery would do just what you want, though. One thing to look for - the amperage. I see on Amazon a wide range of amperage/MAmp range for not much difference in price.
              Hank Lee

Comment

• woodturner
                Veteran Member
                • Jun 2008
                • Western Pennsylvania
                • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by leehljp

I'm not one to say if it could or not, but will comment on the " All In One Jump Starter". I learned that for me, I don't use chargers or boosters on a regular basis, and if not used on a regular basis, rechargeable batteries of any type, lead acid (sealed or not) ni-cad, or NiMH, they did not last moe than 2 to 5 years, and I stayed away from them. But the Lithium Ion batteries hold a charge without getting the "memory" problem or just dying.

I would think that a good Li-ion battery would do just what you want, though. One thing to look for - the amperage. I see on Amazon a wide range of amperage/MAmp range for not much difference in price.
                I bought the Stanley SS4LS when Walmart was clearancing them for $9. Surprised how well it works.

Li-ion is definitely an advantage, I also have the larger Stanley, and having to charge it every few months to keep it alive is annoying.
                --------------------------------------------------
                Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• atgcpaul
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2003
                  • Maryland
                  • Grizzly 1023SLX

Thanks for the review. I was just shopping for one of those this weekend, but dang things pack too much of a punch and can't ship here.

Comment

• Carlos
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2004
                    • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

Originally posted by capncarl
                    I wonder if this HF jump starter would work as a donor battery for my Craftsman jump starter?
                    Yours probably has a lead-acid battery. If so, you can simply replace that with another of the same type. They typically run around $25-35 for most of those sealed small batteries. Take it apart and see what's in there. You can't use a Lithium battery like what we're talking about to replace a lead-acid battery.

Comment

• Pappy
                      The Full Monte
                      • Dec 2002
                      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 (x2)

I have a pair of them but i would have to go look to see what brand they are. Carry the bigger one in the wife's van and the other lower amperage one on my trike.
                      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                      Fools because they have to say something.
                      Plato

Comment

• LCHIEN
                        Internet Fact Checker
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Katy, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 vintage 1999

I have a couple of those old plastic case with a lead acid battery inside - jumper cables and cigarette lighter output plus a meter and a light. But both have dead battereis they don't last long in that application and run about what $25 or 30 bucks. I've used them a few times and they are arm breakers. Lithium are about 5 times lighter for the same power and lots of amps and probably better self discharge.
                        I guess its time to dump those old things.
                        Loring in Katy, TX USA
                        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• atgcpaul
                          Veteran Member
                          • Aug 2003
                          • Maryland
                          • Grizzly 1023SLX

How many Watt-Hours are in this pack? Is it 12v x 12,000mAh = 144WattHours?

Comment

• Carlos
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jan 2004
                            • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

It's in the linked page, yes. 12v and 12 amp hours.

Comment

• atgcpaul
                              Veteran Member
                              • Aug 2003
                              • Maryland
                              • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by Carlos
                              It's in the linked page, yes. 12v and 12 amp hours.
                              Bummer. Then it's too big to fly as a carry-on unless you get special permission

Comment

Working...