No announcement yet.

Scribe tool question

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Scribe tool question

    Got a sale thing from Banggood for a marking stylus for woodworking.
    Not bad looking and has a single scribe and an adjustable dual scribe on the opposite side.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	scribe.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	833237
    so what is the point of the brass strips on the face of the fence? Is it wear strips? I wondered because it appears to be only on one side but half the pictures have it on the wrong side then,
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ -

  • #2
    And the Chingrish description calls it copper.


    • #3
      I've always thought the brass strips you are referring to are for wear, but it appears that the photographer reversed the position of the block for the photograph. (Probably thought it looked prettier.)

      Think it Through Before You Do!


      • #4
        Many of these types of mortise/edge scribes seem to be of the same or similar designs and are available from many sources. Here is a picture from Lee-Valley:

        Though I just noted that their web page states that they are no longer available in the U.S. (,42936).

        Harbor Freight also has one for only $10... all the right components and it's real brass and decent looking hardwood; but it looks like it was put together by somebody in a rush and finish applied with a 6-inch paint brush. Nice price and it would probably look really nice if it was stripped and refinished. It does function though.


        Think it Through Before You Do!


        • #5
          So why not just buy the modern metal type with a rolling wheel on the end? Does this do something different/better? Seems worse. Is it just about something pretty in the shop instead of something that is pure function?


          • #6
            Good question. I imagine it's like any tool, one person might like the steel rod type, with the rolling wheel and an other person, prefer the older, traditional wood type. There's all kinds of variations and like any tool, a person might have a better feel for one over the other., as well as application.

            Personally, I like the wood types, as they have a broader face and a larger surface to grip, feeling more comfortable in the hand. I own a cheap HF and an old steel one, with a pin, that my father used to use to mark sheet metal when he was in that business. They each have their use, but Dad's is my handiest... simply because "it was Dad's" and it easily fits in my shop apron

            Last edited by cwsmith; 05-10-2018, 11:50 AM. Reason: Incomplete sentence correction, and clarification
            Think it Through Before You Do!


            • #7
              I have both, a Crown brand wooden gauge like the one labeled "A" in the picture and a wheel gauge. The wheel gauge makes a very fine line which is almost invisible to my old eyes cross grain. It cuts a bit deeper with the grain and the line is nice and crisp.

              The wooden gauge cuts a nice line cross grain but tends to follow the grain when going parallel to it so my lines aren't perfectly straight. The cross grain lines are also better for starting a handsaw since they're a bit deeper.
              An ethical man knows the right thing to do.
              A moral man does it.


              • #8
                I wasn't putting down anyone's choice, but wanted to know what I might be missing. I have a Rockler middle-grade version with a spinning wheel that seems very effective, but hey, always looking for excuses to buy tools...