• Show
Clear All
  • seahawk
    Forum Newbie
    • Oct 2012
    • Maryland
    • BT 3000 x 2!

Router depth stop turret usefulness

I'm sure many of you have a Porter Cable router, which also features at the "depth turret" to allow changing the depth of cut in increments. I have read the manual, and understand the idea, but do any of you actually use this feature? I'm hoping one of you has some great use that I have not found, and will give all of us a "Eureka!" moment. Photo attached if you don't know what I am asking about. Thanks! Seahawk
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

I have a Bosch router with a similar depth stop. I do find it useful when I want to stop at a certain depth and only plunge a certain amount on each pass. I will use the lowest setting as my final stop and turn the knob from click to click as I work my way down to that stopping point.

Comment

• twistsol
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
      • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

I use it iwth the Festool LR32 hole drilling system for cabinets, which is one of the rare functions I use a router that isn't table mounted.
      Chr's

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

My Hitachi has a similar rig, and I do find it REALLY useful when doing multi pass cuts, like using the router to cut disks from 3/4 stock.

It is also super useful to control depth of cut for things like dadoes etc...
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• poolhound
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2006
          • Phoenix, AZ
          • BT3100

I have various routers and all have a similar feature. I use it in a similar fashion to the other posters.
          Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
          techzibits.com

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by atgcpaul
            I have a Bosch router with a similar depth stop. I do find it useful when I want to stop at a certain depth and only plunge a certain amount on each pass. I will use the lowest setting as my final stop and turn the knob from click to click as I work my way down to that stopping point.
            The few times I've actually used it that's what I've done.
            Seems effective for instances where:
            have a deep groove requriing multiple passes of say 1/16th to 1/8" each
            Have a specific depth and have to do multiple grooves to that repeated depth (not just one groove with multiple steps).

Keeps you from having to make repeated adjustments and keep track of the final depth.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• tmaceroli
              Established Member
              • Mar 2004
              • Forked River, New Jersey, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3100

I have the Porter Cable 690 Combo Kit. I don't use the plunge base too much, but I use the step for cutting slots through a work piece, or for routing large dadoes where I have to make multiple passes. The 690 is a good router, but it's only like 1 1/2 HP, so you have to account for that sometimes.
              Tony

"Nothing would be done at all if a man waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault with it."
              - Cardinal Newman

Comment

Working...