• Show
Clear All
  • poolhound
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2006
    • Phoenix, AZ
    • BT3100

RotoZip Anybody?

I just made a 70 mile round trip to grab a Milwaukee Router that turned out to be an ancient and useless (to me) PC router in a Milwaukee box

I did pickup the first conciliation prize maybe. A Rotozip revolution kit like this one (not quite as clean) for $20. Does anybody have one of these, are they any use? The downcut spiral bits seem like they would do a good job at cutting holes if nothing else.

Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
    techzibits.com
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

IN long past posts, a couple of people seemed to use them, but for the most part it was a pain to use. Nearly impossible to guide straight. the one you posted has sanders, but I don't think it comes close to a good sander. To me, Rotozips (and I have had one) is far more useless than a PC router!
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• twistsol
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
      • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

I had one and if you're hanging drywall it's good ... useless otherwise. I sold it at a garage sale for a few bucks and bought an 18v DeWalt drywall cut out tool
      Chr's

Comment

• mpc
        • Feb 2005
        • Cypress, CA, USA.
        • BT3000 orig 13amp model

Rotozips came onto the market and got instantly famous for being a quick and easy way to cut openings for electrical boxes in drywall. Then the oscillating multi-tool Fein clones came on the market and talk of Rotozips died out instantly. I have a Rotozip and I can't remember the last time I used it. I do remember using it at a friend's house to make drywall cuts in his kitchen remodel... before HF started selling the oscillating multi-tools... have I used it since?

It might be a good tool for youngsters working on simple & thin material... or for simple carving? I can imagine the kids that visit my shop using the Rotozip.

mpc

Comment

• capncarl
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Leesburg Georgia USA
          • SawStop CTS

I use my rotozip as a small router for my round overs and light corner bevel work. I tried to use it to cut receptacle and switch box holes in osb but could have done an nicer job with my 12 gauge shotgun. Basically useless tool if you have a small router.
          capncarl

Comment

• LCHIEN
            LCHIEN commented
            Editing a comment
            haha, very good vivid description.
        • vaking
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2005
          • Montclair, NJ, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3100-1

I have Rotozip and I also have a dremel plunge base - the two fit together and make a trim router. I don't have other trim routers, so I use this and find it useful. Rotozip is single speed but works with external speed controller. I have also used it for drywall to cut receptacles. It works if you use already installed electrical box to guide the tool.
          Dremel plunge at one time was available very cheap at big lots. Buying it at normal prices is out of the question, you will be better off buying a trim router.
          Alex V

Comment

• poolhound
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2006
            • Phoenix, AZ
            • BT3100

LOL - my best tool purchase ever then! I just checked on CL and there are about a dozen for sale I wonder why...

I will add mine to CL and keep it for my next yard sale, I am sure I will at least get my $20 back ;-) just a shame about the long drive to not get the router. I dont really need another but if I see a deal then having one permanently setup with a roundover bit is always handy. I do know where there is one of these Freud routers sitting around not being used that I can probably get for pretty cheap. Dont know much about them but I am sure its up to most basic jobs.

Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
            techzibits.com

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

FWIW, roundovers being usually a fairly light duty application, I keep a trim router with a set of 1/4" shank roundovers in the case for doing quickie roundovers when the item doesn't want to come to the router table easily.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• jussi
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2007

I bought a set a while back at a garage sale. I've only used it a few times for drywall work. Works ok but I probably could have done the same work with a jab saw.
                I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

Working...