• Show
Clear All
  • poolhound
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2006
    • Phoenix, AZ
    • BT3100

HF hose reels

Been meaning to get a retractable hose reel for the shop for a while. Does anybody have either of these HF varieties? Are they OK? what about filter and regulator from HF as I intend to move my compressor outside into the area I built for my DC.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_22793.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	800989
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image_13405.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	800990
    Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
    techzibits.com
  • cwsmith
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • NY Southern Tier, USA.
    • BT3100-1

No comment on the hose reels, as I have no experience with those. But, I am considering such a purchase in the future and so am interested in the answers you receive.

However, I am curious about your statement that you may locate your compressor in the same area where your DC is located. Is that actually "outside" or under some kind of sheltered roof? Either way, wouldn't it present some problem with any dust discharged from the DC being sucked into the compressor inlet and possibly clogging the compressor inlet filter?

CWS
    Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• poolhound
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2006
      • Phoenix, AZ
      • BT3100

Originally posted by cwsmith
      No comment on the hose reels, as I have no experience with those. But, I am considering such a purchase in the future and so am interested in the answers you receive.

However, I am curious about your statement that you may locate your compressor in the same area where your DC is located. Is that actually "outside" or under some kind of sheltered roof? Either way, wouldn't it present some problem with any dust discharged from the DC being sucked into the compressor inlet and possibly clogging the compressor inlet filter?

CWS
      It is outside the shop but inside an enclosed structure I built alongside my shop. It is part wood storage with a section that houses my DC with a super dust deputy. right now it still has the stock bag but I have been considering venting it directly through the wall of the enclosure. As nearly all the chips and dust are now caught by the SDD I 'smalled' up the collection bag which leaves a nice space underneath that would be just right for my compressor. I take your point about dust but I cant see how it would be any worse than when they were both in the shop together and with the SDD and the potential of venting externally from the enclosed space I dont think there would be an issue.
      Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2007
        • Buena Park, CA
        • CM 21829

Jon,
        I have the red hose reel, in the 25ft version, use it with my compressor. Ceiling mounted. Purchased one of their short lengths of hose to connect it, and it works great. I have no experience with the filter or regulator.
        Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• jussi
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007

I had the top one before I got a roboreel. I don't remember if I got it from HF but it was probably made by the same company. The reel worked well but after a while the spring loss some its tension and the hose wouldn't wind all the way back and I had to help it back. You also had to pull on it several times for it to wind back (again after I had it for a while). A couple of tips. 1. make sure you leave some hose in the reel, otherwise it makes it a lot harder to wind back. 2. Don't let the hose slip out of the reel. This happened more often when the spring loss some tension and didn't keep it tightly wound.
          I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

I have the black reel one with 50 ft hose. Another 50 ft PVC hose going back to the air compressor. Its handy in the middle of my shop to pull down for nail gun or air nozzle. So far works well, I think I posted an article on how I hung it singlehandedly from my ceiling.

Yeah, here it is:
            This forum is devoted to discussions about shop setup, layout and design. Topics here include wiring, wood and tool storage, floorplans, dust collection, and basically all the infrastructural stuff not directly related to specific projects and tools. Pictures of members' shops are welcome and encouraged.
            Last edited by LCHIEN; 12-12-2015, 01:40 AM.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• atgcpaul
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2003
              • Maryland
              • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by Bill in Buena Park
              Jon,
              I have the red hose reel, in the 25ft version, use it with my compressor. Ceiling mounted. Purchased one of their short lengths of hose to connect it, and it works great. I have no experience with the filter or regulator.
              +1. Mine is over my TS/assembly table. It's connected to my compressor by a 25' hose.

Comment

• capncarl
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2007
                • Leesburg Georgia USA
                • SawStop CTS

I have 2 enclosed air hose reels, not HF, and would like to inject my findings. While the enclosed reels are easier to keep clean, they are hard to see how much hose is left on the reel as it is pulled out. While my hose is marked near the end, it still happens, When you unreel the hose to the end the mechanism jams and is difficult and dangerous to trick into retracting. If I had it to do again I would not install enclosed hose reels in my shop, ever.

Comment

• BadeMillsap
                  • Dec 2005
                  • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
                  • Grizzly G1023SL

I have the open one on top ... works fine for me ... it is HEAVY!
                  "Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
                  Bade Millsap
                  Bulverde, Texas
                  => Bade's Personal Web Log
                  => Bade's Lutherie Web Log

Comment

• poolhound
                    Veteran Member
                    • Mar 2006
                    • Phoenix, AZ
                    • BT3100

Thanks guys I picked one of the open models (red hose) yesterday with the 25% off the "sale" price. as my shop is only 17'x13' the 25' version works for me.
                    Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• capncarl
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2007
                      • Leesburg Georgia USA
                      • SawStop CTS

I want to pick up another hose reel for compressed air use outside my shop. (That is when I usually pull too much hose out of my reel and jam it) I don't want it outside in the weather and visible but will probably mount it inside the shop and let the hose come through an opening in the wall, and probably a long stem valve to shut it off / on from outside

Comment

• dbhost
                        Slow and steady
                        • Apr 2008
                        • League City, Texas
                        • Ryobi BT3100

I have the black metal one with the 50' hose (the one you picture on top), it's been fantastic, I also have the HF regulator that is doing a great job. Where I am running into some extensive disappointment is with an HF Dessicant Dryer with oil removal filter. It works great, but I can't seem to keep it from leaking ever so slightly, and it will pop off and drain the filter tank once pressure gets too low, meaning if I leave it pressurized, it will keep my compressor running. I really should shut off and drain my tank every night anyway... But if I am bad about it, it i will bleed down and start running the compressor to death in about 2 days...
                        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• poolhound
                          Veteran Member
                          • Mar 2006
                          • Phoenix, AZ
                          • BT3100

I was planning on using one of these, is it the same one you have?

Harbor Freight buys their top quality tools from the same factories that supply our competitors. We cut out the middleman and pass the savings to you!

Originally posted by dbhost
                          I have the black metal one with the 50' hose (the one you picture on top), it's been fantastic, I also have the HF regulator that is doing a great job. Where I am running into some extensive disappointment is with an HF Dessicant Dryer with oil removal filter. It works great, but I can't seem to keep it from leaking ever so slightly, and it will pop off and drain the filter tank once pressure gets too low, meaning if I leave it pressurized, it will keep my compressor running. I really should shut off and drain my tank every night anyway... But if I am bad about it, it i will bleed down and start running the compressor to death in about 2 days...
                          Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• Eric
                            • Jun 2003
                            • Cocolalla, ID
                            • Grizzly G0691 & BT3100

I have the 50' and 25' versions. The 50' the ends of the hose has developed holes, and I cut a small section off once it develops a leak and move it back a bit. I'll replace those hose once it becomes too bad.

The 25' one has been fine. I have it ceiling mounted.

Comment

• dbhost
                              Slow and steady
                              • Apr 2008
                              • League City, Texas
                              • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by poolhound
                              I was planning on using one of these, is it the same one you have?

http://www.harborfreight.com/38-in-a...tor-68232.html
                              Yeah, that looks like the right one.
                              Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

Working...