• Show
Clear All
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

Carter guide upgrade kit for Delta 14" band saw

I finished the install of the Carter guide upgrade kit for my 14" Delta 28-276. This was one of the re-supply items I picked up at Rockler. The fit and finish of this upgrade is very good and the instructions are well documented. The blade guard bracket was hid in the packing, causing me a to break into a panic sweat trying to come up with a guard solution. Finally I decided to contact Carter but reviewed the upgrade kit online first and saw the picture of the "missing part" so I decided to look for the part to see if I had dropped it, sure enough, it was in the packing! Whew.
    For the first test of the saw I re-sawed several 5" black gum boards into 5/16" planks. The blade is a 1/2" X 3 tpi woodslicer with quite a bit of use on it. All cuts came out nice with little saw marks and are not tapered like my cuts use to be!
    Looking back I wish I had just ordered the kit with the micro adjust for $20 more. This upgrade requires a bit of set up work when changing blade sizes, the micro adjust would simplify things.

This is a tool upgrade that I would recommend.
    capncarl
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

I must admit, Carters products I have picked up in the past are in the class of you don't get what you pay for, you get much, much more... Fit and finish, is second to none, and, well they work as advertised...

Enjoy the new guides!
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Tom Slick
      Veteran Member
      • May 2005
      • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
      • sears BT3 clone

The Carter products I've used were top notch.
      Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• poolhound
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2006
        • Phoenix, AZ
        • BT3100

I agree about Carter products.

Has anybody ever tried on of the Carter Stabilizers?

Carter Products has everything you need for your band saw, including saw blade stabilizers for multiple saws. Browse our vast selection and order today!
        Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
        techzibits.com

Comment

• 4nthony
          Handtools only
          • Oct 2020

Originally posted by capncarl
          I finished the install of the Carter guide upgrade kit for my 14" Delta 28-276. This was one of the re-supply items I picked up at Rockler. The fit and finish of this upgrade is very good and the instructions are well documented.
          Sorry for bumping an old thread, but it was one of the few posts I've found when searching for this bandsaw and the Carter Guides.

I installed the Micro Adjust kit tonight on my 28-276 and the fit is less than ideal. For the upper assembly, the blade isn't centered in the guide but rather is way off to the right against the bearing such that I need to rotate the entire assembly to get bearing clearance. The assembly also leans left when tightening the post screw.

As for the lower assembly, I had to add a couple washers to allow for additional clearance and get the blade off the right bearing.

I've read nothing but good things about Carter products so I'm thinking that perhaps I either got a bad kit or they sent a few incorrect components. I'm not sure. I reached out to Carter for help and am waiting for their reply.

Any thoughts or ideas as to what might be wrong?

Thank you!

UPDATE BELOW
          Last edited by 4nthony; 10-28-2020, 11:17 AM.

Comment

• 4nthony
            Handtools only
            • Oct 2020

Originally posted by 4nthony
            I installed the Micro Adjust kit tonight on my 28-276 and the fit is less than ideal. For the upper assembly, the blade isn't centered in the guide but rather is way off to the right against the bearing such that I need to rotate the entire assembly to get bearing clearance. The assembly also leans left when tightening the post screw.

As for the lower assembly, I had to add a couple washers to allow for additional clearance and get the blade off the right bearing.

I've read nothing but good things about Carter products so I'm thinking that perhaps I either got a bad kit or they sent a few incorrect components. I'm not sure. I reached out to Carter for help and am waiting for their reply.
            UPDATE: Carter got back to me first thing this morning -- great customer service! -- and I spoke with one of their product engineers.

For the upper assembly, they make a drop post connector with a centered hole. They'll send it to replace the one I have with the offset hole. This should fix the alignment problem. As for the horizontal tilt, the post that comes out of the assembly has a flat edge. Rotating the post so the thumbscrew hits the round edge rather than the flat edge prevents the assembly from being forced into the tilt.

For the lower assembly, the square bar that comes out of the assembly has a round edge on one side and a flat on the other (where it is inserted into the assembly). Rotating the bar so the round edge is against the set screw pushed the assembly away from the bearing, but I'll still need to shim the mounting plate a bit in order to center the blade on the thrust bearing.

Problem solved.
            Last edited by 4nthony; 10-27-2020, 04:22 PM. Reason: bold text

Comment

• d_meister
              Established Member
              • Feb 2009
              • La Conner, WA.
              • BT3000

My Packard Precision is a very old either Delta clone or re-branded out-the-side door of the same factory. I have the same geometry issues, but with standard Delta parts. Everything is off in the same way as your pictures. Do your original parts center up properly, or are they off, too?
              Mine is rather old, and came from craigslist, so I think it may be off because the tension was left on too tight over the years and the upper casting had sagged down over the years.That would explain the way that it is "off".
              Curious to hear what Carter has to say.

Comment

• d_meister
                Established Member
                • Feb 2009
                • La Conner, WA.
                • BT3000

While bandsaws are on folks minds, it might be good for newbies to see the Carter Bandsaw tune-up video with Alex Snodgrass. It's been featured on this site (the collective sites) several times, but it's always good to push to the fore. Most important part is how to center the blade. A world of performance difference:
                Alex Snodgrass from Carter Tools demonstrates how to adjust your Band Saw for optimal performance

Comment

• 4nthony
                  Handtools only
                  • Oct 2020

Originally posted by d_meister
                  Do your original parts center up properly, or are they off, too?
                  My original guides were close enough to center to not give me any problems.

Curious to hear what Carter has to say.
                  Carter is sending me a replacement drop post connector with a centered hole (details in my follow-up post above).

And yes, the Alex Snodgrass videos are great! Also like this one with Alex and Mark Spagnuolo:

Have you missed any of our 11 part series of the Sideboard?! Check out the full playlist here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUPWL5TWdx4tovCCXC3JMC2...

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Glad it worked out for you. Carter has a good reputation for quality products.
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA
                    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...