Broken zipper on tool bag. Can I get it fixed?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Broken zipper on tool bag. Can I get it fixed?

I know this sounds dumb, so many of you just throw out tool cases and individual tool bags, but for me they keep my stuff organized, and I really can't live without them.

I have a now older Ryobi recip saw that I got back in 2008. It came in a blue padded bag with a long zipper. Last year that zipper broke, teeth mangled the whole nine yards. In order to get the saw out, I had to cut the zipper fabric, not the fabric of the bag itself, just the zipper...

Is this something a tailor / seamstress shop can replace, or are replacement bags available anywhere for these saws? Like I said the bags / cases keep me as neat as I am, and I shudder to think how my shop would be if I let the bags / cases go...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • trungdok
    Established Member
    • Oct 2012
    • MA

Seamstress could. I would just buy a new zipper long enough and then sew it myself. Use the skill you learned in home make classes

Comment

• twistsol
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
      • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

You can certainly try a seamstress / tailor and since it is reasonably lightweight fabric, they should be able to handle it. If not, look for a luggage repair, sporting goods, or an upholstery repair company. All are used to dealing with zippers on heavier fabrics. It may be cheaper to see if you can find a replacement on eBay though.
      Chr's

Comment

• LinuxRandal
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2005
        • Independence, MO, USA.
        • bt3100

You would have to take it to one to see. Material may and does wear over time, to the point that you try to sew to it and it is too worn to hold the thread.
        Another option is a different tool case. I use a long plastic tool box I picked up at a garage sale for my Dewalt reciprocating saw and keep blades in the pullout tray above. My Milwaukee I was given, came with a metal case.
        One thing you might look for is someone who does alterations.
        She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• atgcpaul
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2003
          • Maryland
          • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by trungdok
          Seamstress could. I would just buy a new zipper long enough and then sew it myself. Use the skill you learned in home make classes
          Yep. You'll need a seam ripper to take out all those stitches--easier than using a knife or scissors. They sell zippers with hot melt adhesive attached. You can iron on the new zipper. For a quick pillow I made for my daughter, I used fabric glue to attach the zipper. It holds really well even through the wash. If the zipper has to follow a contour, though, then you're in for a challenge. I don't know how to use a sewing machine on curved stuff like bags so I'd probably go with the iron-on or glue or something completely different like snaps.

I miss home ec. We got to cook (and eat), sew clothes, and wood/plastic/drafting/metal shop, too.

Comment

• capncarl
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Leesburg Georgia USA
            • SawStop CTS

One of our local shoe reapair shops repairs luggage and bags like this. They might not be as pricey as a seamstress.

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by capncarl
              One of our local shoe reapair shops repairs luggage and bags like this. They might not be as pricey as a seamstress.
              The shoe repair place near me is crazy expensive, the tailor shop down the street however is pretty affordable...

I might just measure the thing up and see if I can'f find a HF plastic tool box with just enough interior volume to hold it and a few blades...
              Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• leehljp
                Just me
                • Dec 2002
                • Tunica, MS
                • BT3000/3100

I have three or four smallish single tool bags bought at Lowes/HD that are very handy. I know you want to just fix a zipper and I don't blame you, but if you can't, $10 - $15 will buy a decent one at the big box stores. Of course there are more to choose from in which the prices climb
                Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• sailor55330
                  Established Member
                  • Jan 2010

Originally posted by leehljp
                  I have three or four smallish single tool bags bought at Lowes/HD that are very handy. I know you want to just fix a zipper and I don't blame you, but if you can't, $10 - $15 will buy a decent one at the big box stores. Of course there are more to choose from in which the prices climb
                  +1 on the new option. Even if you do find a seamstress who can/will repair the bag, the rest of the bag still has the wear and tear on it. Might be easier to start fresh.... This always reminds me of a debate I have with a friend on trucks. He swears by diesels because the engines can last 300,000 miles plus, which I agree, but the rest of the truck (body, interior, suspension, etc) may not last that long. It's an easy debate either way.

Comment

• dbhost
                    Slow and steady
                    • Apr 2008
                    • League City, Texas
                    • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by leehljp
                    It's a consideration for sure. I have those smallish tool bags that I keep my Ryobi Jig saw that didn't come with a bag or case, my HF Multi Tool, and my B&D rotary tool in... Never considered one for the recip saw because it is so long. Would be worth looking into...

Comment

• dbhost
                      Slow and steady
                      • Apr 2008
                      • League City, Texas
                      • Ryobi BT3100

I had to pick up some auto related tools from Harbor Freight to tackle some projects there, I saw some bags and boxes that might do the trick, but i forgot to take measurements before I went... I need to get my measurements up on Google Drive to make sure I have it handy next time I am at HF...

I also need recip saw blades. Cutting exhaust pipes with a wood cutting blade tends to mess them up...

Comment

Working...