X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jussi
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007

New Toys for the Shop

A couple of weeks ago I was browsing the classifieds section of another forum and found a killer deal for a shopfox 8" jointer and 15" planer. 2 different units not a combo. He said they were several years old but never used and was asking $800 for both. It was a pick up only deal obviously and I'm convinced the only reason why no one else had bought it yet. I already had a jointer so I called my friend who was looking for an 8" and we checked it out the next day at his storage unit. Got there and it looked great. Even had some dried up cosmoline (or similar) and the wax paper on it. Took forever to clean that stuff off. They crammed every corner with that goop.

We talked and he mentioned he was clearing out his storage unit and selling a bunch of stuff. Alot of them he never used because they were for a shop that never materialized. I was almost about to leave when I noticed a large yellow cone in the back. Asked if that was for a cyclone and he said yes. It was for a Oneida Super Gorilla 3HP cyclone. I asked it was for sale and he said yes but he would need time to get to it because it was buried under tons of other stuff. Just like the jointer and planer, it was new and never put together. Finally went back today, paid the man his $600 and got it in the shop. There's no way it's going to fit inside the shop so I'm going to build a small closet for it just outside. It came with a wall mount and remote. The canister is 35g and I plan on building a little base for it that will have wheels. If I can find a good deal on 50+ gallon canister I will probably upgrade it. Anyway here they are. I'm still waiting for my 220V outlet and plug for the planer and obviously the cyclone still needs to be assembled.

This is how it should look, save for a wall mount instead.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
  • Cochese
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2010

**** nice finds.
    I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

good catch!!!
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• atgcpaul
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Maryland
        • Grizzly 1023SLX

I know we're all friends here so take this in the nicest way...YOU SUCK!

I've been wishing for a combo planer/jointer but I would definitely take that deal!

Comment

• capncarl
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Leesburg Georgia USA
          • SawStop CTS

Great snag! You will enjoy using this equipment. No more wondering how you can improve your dust collector, now the piping begins! This was a perfect example of "if you snooze you loose deal". How far did you have to travel?
          How much more good stuff does he have stashed away that you may can get?
          capncarl

Comment

• BadeMillsap
            • Dec 2005
            • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
            • Grizzly G1023SL

Well that is some very nice "toyage"! And in fact .... YOU DO SUCK!

Nice find!
            "Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
            Bade Millsap
            Bulverde, Texas
            => Bade's Personal Web Log
            => Bade's Lutherie Web Log

Comment

• beetee3
              Established Member
              • Feb 2005
              • The Sunshine State

Looks like that cyclone could pull enough CFMs to swallow a lesser planer. Major suckage! Must have been fun getting them in and out of the truck.

Comment

• twistsol
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
                • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

You should have bought a lottery ticket as well. Nice finds and you really deserve a heartfelt YOU SUCK.
                Chr's

Comment

• jussi
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2007

Originally posted by capncarl
                  Great snag! You will enjoy using this equipment. No more wondering how you can improve your dust collector, now the piping begins! This was a perfect example of "if you snooze you loose deal". How far did you have to travel?
                  How much more good stuff does he have stashed away that you may can get?
                  capncarl

It was actually not far from my house. About 20 mins away. He had a delta midi lathe for $90, dewalt 733 planer for $90, ALOt of acuuride drawer slides for $75, and was literally giving stuff away to clear space.

Comment

• jussi
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2007

Originally posted by beetee3
                    Looks like that cyclone could pull enough CFMs to swallow a lesser planer. Major suckage! Must have been fun getting them in and out of the truck.

It went smoother than I expected. My friend who went with me had an appliance dolly and we just slowly lowered the planer down from the truck. With the cyclone in parts it was fairly easy to move.

Comment

• poolhound
                      Veteran Member
                      • Mar 2006
                      • Phoenix, AZ
                      • BT3100

Nice catch, that planer looks like a beast!
                      Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                      techzibits.com

Comment

• wardprobst
                        • Jan 2006
                        • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
                        • Craftsman 22811

Happy for you, great deal and you will enjoy that collector!DP
                        www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• lrr
                          Established Member
                          • Apr 2006
                          • Fort Collins, Colorado
                          • Ryobi BT-3100

Excellent find, and congratulations! I thought the planer looked new, and it appears that a plug was never even put on the cord.

It is sort of sad that the owner had some ambitious woodworking plans, and unfortunately they never materialized. At least these tools will finally get some use!
                          Lee

Comment

• jussi
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jan 2007

Originally posted by lrr
                            Excellent find, and congratulations! I thought the planer looked new, and it appears that a plug was never even put on the cord.

It is sort of sad that the owner had some ambitious woodworking plans, and unfortunately they never materialized. At least these tools will finally get some use!
                            Yah. I can't wait to put them to use. The planer will get used as soon as I get the outlet and plug for it. But because of the current location i will be limited in the thickness of the piece I can plane. I also only have about 5 feet in-feed. It will Prob take a couple of months for me to build the closet for the cyclone. So I'll be using my trusty delta 50-760 with the Thien baffle. Although the cyclone is significantly bigger than my current dc it will actually save me space since it will be housed outside the shop. Which will allow me to do some rearranging of tools and give me more in-feed and out-feed space for the planer
                            Last edited by jussi; 04-12-2015, 10:07 PM.

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                              Veteran Member
                              • Nov 2007
                              • Buena Park, CA
                              • CM 21829

Jussi, those are awesome finds! I'd be jealous, but I have absolutely no room for anything that large.
                              Bill in Buena Park

Comment

Working...