• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

saw stop portable job site saw

I see that SawStop has finally come out with an albeit expensive $1300 job site portable saw.

Whether you're a seasoned artisan or a novice enthusiast, shop Woodcraft for expert advice, unbeatable prices, superior brands, and a woodworking experience like no other. Explore our vast selection of premium wood, tools, and accessories, meticulously curated to fuel your passion for creating timeless pieces.

I really, really don't want to start a thread debating over the personal ethics of the way the saw stop tried to get itself mandated, so please don't post any negative comments on Mr Gass or his company.

What I'm really curious is, the legal shenanigans aside, do you think this saw will sell at this price point? Competing against $300 or maybe $600 saws?
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • radhak
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Miramar, FL
    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Well, finally it's here! At the same time, expectedly it is unreasonably priced.

It may not sell to the hoi-polloi, but there will those few who could dig a bit deeper for it, with the justification that saved fingers are worth anything.

At the margins they must have, they don't need high volume sales.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle

Comment

• capncarl
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Leesburg Georgia USA
      • SawStop CTS

The sawstop contractor model price does not differ much from my Powermatic 64a contractor saw. And it will not cut off your fingers! If Sawstop contractor model compares to the Powermatic quality it will make a great saw to build a cabinet around in our small shops!
      capncarl

Comment

• atgcpaul
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Maryland
        • Grizzly 1023SLX

How much does the BT3 weigh? I haven't owned one in years. This SS is almost 80lbs without the base. That seems really heavy. It seems jobsite saws get thrown around in and out of trucks. I wonder how this will hold up. However, if I were a contractor, I think I could justify buying one of these to reduce downtime if I or one of my employees got injured.

As a hobbiest, I wouldn't. I like the power of my cabinet saw which I paid less than this. If I were getting a new saw, it would have to be at least the contractor saw or cab saw.

Comment

• vaking
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2005
          • Montclair, NJ, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3100-1

I was also thinking about weight. This saw is almost 80 lb without a base, over a hundred with the base. More than 20 pounds heavier than competitors like Dewalt. I can understand the reason - it has to include more mechanics for the sawstop function, all those disengaging arbors have weight. Besides this - ability to pull the blade under the table in under 5 miliseconds will sure give it a good jolt, which means trunions and all the saw construction have to be much heavier. But for the portable saw weight is important. I like the idea of saving fingers but if it comes at a price of throwing your back - I don't know if I am ready for it.
          Alex V

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

I would think Contractors with the scratch for them will probably buy them for the lower insurance premiums alone... However as a Homeowner saw, which is really where most Job Site Saws actually go... It is way, way, way overpriced...

Mind you, I would absolutely LOVE a 3HP SawStop PCS, but it is out of my price range for now...

By the way, am I the only one that saw those pics and thought how similar it looked to the 21829 stand?
            Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• jussi
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007

I saw it at Rockler a few weeks ago. My initial thought is it won't do very well. I don't think A table saw is nearly as important to a contractor as it is to a woodworker. I think a miter saw and circular saw can usually get most jobs done and are quicker. I had to borrow my neighbor (who is a contractor) contractor ts once to install the flooring in my shop because mine was sitting in the carport. He had to dig way behind his shed, was beat up, and missing the throat plate. obviously his situation doesn't represent all contractors, and there are probably larger operations which will buy one but I don't see them as a majority. The majority of people who would want the quality a saw stop saw brings and are willing to pay for it are woodworkers. But at that price point I think most would gravitate to a heavier stationary saw. Maybe hybrid or even used cabinet saw.
              I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by atgcpaul
                How much does the BT3 weigh? I haven't owned one in years. This SS is almost 80lbs without the base. That seems really heavy. It seems jobsite saws get thrown around in and out of trucks. I wonder how this will hold up. However, if I were a contractor, I think I could justify buying one of these to reduce downtime if I or one of my employees got injured.

As a hobbiest, I wouldn't. I like the power of my cabinet saw which I paid less than this. If I were getting a new saw, it would have to be at least the contractor saw or cab saw.
                BT3000 was about 70-something pounds saw alone, under 110 or so pounds with the rectangular base. So comparable.
                Last edited by LCHIEN; 03-11-2015, 12:48 AM.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2005
                  • Independence, MO, USA.
                  • bt3100

I said in another recent post I am considering it. My reasoning is I don't use my tablesaw as much, due to tracksaw style use and I would like the portability of it. (thought at one point about the Craftsman stand and putting the BT on it)
                  Two big reasons why I can see spending that money AND buying it over the not much more contractor saw:
                  Portability (can take it down to the basement easy enough, or over for my father)
                  Family (older father, that I am not sure he would trust himself without it, let alone me and nephews and nieces that might want to help).

Personally I see it more for homeowners then contractors, as in any contractor vehicle/trailer, it seems like a big steal me sign.
                  She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• jussi
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2007

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
                    , as in any contractor vehicle/trailer, it seems like a big steal me sign.

That's a good point. On the festool group site many contractors stopped putting the festool sticker on their vehicles because thieves now know how valuable they are.
                    I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• capncarl
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2007
                      • Leesburg Georgia USA
                      • SawStop CTS

I thought 100 lbs was a lightweight saw. The contractor that I bought my Powermatic 64 from was selling it because of weight, 360 something pounds. I can't imagine lugging that thing up steps. Maybe the sawstop is robust enough to keep from bending all its guts in a forced stop, but I can't believe it is that robust considering its weight compared to a BT.

A contractor could loose his whole business to lawsuits because of a bad tablesaw accident so maybe it is cheap insurance. (Different kind of thieves)
                      capncarl

Comment

• Pappy
                        The Full Monte
                        • Dec 2002
                        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 (x2)

Have to agree that it is overpriced for the average homeowner/hobbyist. For accident and insurance purposes probably more viable in the contractor market.
                        Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                        Fools because they have to say something.
                        Plato

Comment

• Cochese
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jun 2010

On pure price, I think they overshot by 300 dollars. Not surprised, though.
                          I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• JimD
                            Veteran Member
                            • Feb 2003
                            • Lexington, SC.

The Ryobi BT3000 was introduced with a suggested retail of about $1,000. At least that's what I remember reading in an early review in Fine Homebuilding. Price came down quickly. I doubt SS's will.

The other thing about that price is it is almost the same as their contractors saw. For homeowner use, the contractors saw seems like a better buy (if any SS fits that description).

I wish they weren't so over priced.

Comment

Working...