• Show
Clear All
  • JoeyGee
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2005
    • Sylvania, OH, USA.
    • BT3100-1

Small HF Compressor

So, my trusty HF compressor has finally given up the ghost after 10+ years. I don't remember what I paid for it, but it wasn't much. Got my money's worth out of it.

I only ever used it for brad nails, bike tires, basketballs, etc. I am thinking of replacing it with this:

I should be out the door ~$50 with coupon. Anyone have experience with it? I like the small footprint. I am OK with it taking a while to fill and cycling often. I really don't use it that much to bother me. Seems my next closet option would be a PC at $100+.

I literally got up from my computer and noticed a HF ad LOML had left out (she wants the free magnetic parts holder). They have this for $40 with coupon:

What's the difference other than shape?
    Last edited by JoeyGee; 01-16-2015, 08:30 AM. Reason: Additional Info
    Joe
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

They have the same basic specs except the bottom one does have a slightly higher amp rating, otherwise the same.

I had the top one and gave it to my daughter to keep her lawn tractor, bicycle and car aired up. I got it when it was $39.95 on sale for about $32 and with a 20% coupon applied on top of that.

That size was good for a single tire but took a little too long when I needed to air for more than that. It strictly comes down to what you need on those two. I did find the pancake style easy to carry.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• bigstick509
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2004
      • Macomb, MI, USA.
      • BT3100

If you can live with the increased noise level vs oil compressor it looks like a good deal. I have the equivalent compressor w/oil and its still going strong after 10 years. Unfortunately HF does not show a oil alternative on there site.

Mike

"It's not the things you don't know that will hurt you, it's the things you think you know that ain't so." - Mark Twain

Comment

• JoeyGee
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2005
        • Sylvania, OH, USA.
        • BT3100-1

Thanks for the replies. For $40, I'm willing to take the chance. For something I don't use much, I'll take the noise.
        Joe

Comment

• cwsmith
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2005
          • NY Southern Tier, USA.
          • BT3100-1

You didn't mention if your old compressor was oil-less or not. I prefer a lubricated cast iron cylinder, simply because the noise is considerably less (they also last longer).

I the noise isn't a bother, than either of those units are a pretty good deal.

CWS
          Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

they look to be about the same performance.
            The Pancake one looks a little better cosmetically with the wrap-around top shroud, but Possibly the pancake has a bigger footprint which might be a disadvantage for storage or use.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

They look close enough for horseshoes to each other aside from footprint. The hotdog compressor might be easier to store in a small shop...

Don't expect to fill a big tire, or drive big air tools with either of those...
              Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• JoeyGee
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2005
                • Sylvania, OH, USA.
                • BT3100-1

My old one was oiled. In the 10+ years I owned it, I never had a need for big air tools. Just brad nails, basketballs and car tires.

I am looking for smaller. I need every inch of space I can find.
                Joe

Comment

• RAV2
                  Established Member
                  • Aug 2007
                  • Massachusetts

FYI - compressors are excluded from the discount coupons. Your best bet is get it when it shows up on a specific coupon. You could also try and talk to the manager as they have discretion with this matter.

I bought one of these and think I got it for $35 on the coupon. Bought the 100' air line and the $14 stapler (plus some staples) and donated the kit to the high school drama club when we were making sets. They don't take very good care of their stuff and it has survived 2 years of various plays. Not as good as my porter cable portable with the wheels but sufficient for the needs you stated.

Comment

• cwsmith
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2005
                    • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                    • BT3100-1

Joe,

Just be prepared for a significant noise difference between your old lubricated unit and this new oil-less one.

I have two compressors, both Craftsman. The 33-gal oil-less is insanely noisy. Even with earmuffs, I can't stand to be in the basement shop with it. My smaller Craftsman has a lubricated cast-iron cylinder, and though it's not quiet, I can easily handle the noise without hearing protection. As such, I use only a 24-ft hose with it, so both compressor and hose are easily portable. It's a 2-gal, 1hp (2.5 scfm @ 90 psi) unit that I use for nailing and occasional tire inflation (in the garage). For the latter, even it needs to cycle a couple of times.

Hopefully these HF oil-less compressors are significantly quieter than my 33-gal Craftsman.

CWS
                    Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• tlt
                      Established Member
                      • Jan 2006
                      • Tucson, Arizona.
                      • Delta 36-682

I recently (~6 mos ago) had a porter cable compressor die that was the same size as the first HF link you posted. I replaced it with the HF compressor from the second link and have been very happy. It's got a smaller footprint and is easier to lug around. It's used for brads and tires, and the occasional impact wrench. For your intended purposes, I think you'll be happy with it.

Comment

• leehljp
                        Just me
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Tunica, MS
                        • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by RAV2
                        FYI - compressors are excluded from the discount coupons. Your best bet is get it when it shows up on a specific coupon. You could also try and talk to the manager as they have discretion with this matter.
                        You are right about that. It is written on the coupons themselves. I didn't think about it when I had the 20% coupon but it was several years ago. Maybe that is why I was able to get it with the coupon.
                        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• JoeyGee
                          Veteran Member
                          • Nov 2005
                          • Sylvania, OH, USA.
                          • BT3100-1

The $40 hot dog style is an item specific coupon.
                          Joe

Comment

• JimD
                            Veteran Member
                            • Feb 2003
                            • Lexington, SC.

I have two oil less compressers, a Bostitch and a Porter Cable. The PC is a pancake style and much easier to move around. I don't like the noise but they work fine. I haven't used the PC for tires I either use a tank-less 12V that I keep in the convertible or the Bostitch I keep in the shop garage.

If I had to replace both of them (I really only need one, my wife had the PC when we got married) I would look hard at a oil type HF. My Bostitch isn't tiny and I think it's worth finding shop space for. The vertical HF units seem like a lot of capability for the space you give up.

Comment

• capncarl
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jan 2007
                              • Leesburg Georgia USA
                              • SawStop CTS

I've never seen and Oil less compressor that was quiet. My PC will sometimes scare you to death when it comes on unexpectedly. That's the reason they make long hoses, I put it out in the yard and run the hose and cord thru a window.

Comment

Working...