This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Formon
    replied
    one option: run a nail on the cloth side of the sandpaper and then tear it off.

Leave a comment:

• LCHIEN
    replied
    Lots of projects are a learning experience.
    I learned about T-slots and making a grid pattern with a router and found out how to use a hacksaw blade as a tearing edge.
    And it was useful need for all those sanding blocks I made.

Actually this was in 2014... I just decided to recycle the post.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 11-26-2020, 12:46 AM.

Leave a comment:

• leehljp
    replied
    That is nice! You spent some time on that!

Here is what I use now: https://www.rockler.com/rockler-sandpaper-cutter

Leave a comment:

• LCHIEN
    replied
    I built a (probably) over-designed sandpaper cutter. Saw one somewhere that used a hacksaw blade as the cutter. Routed some T-slots for the guide - new to me, was easy with a Woodline 1291-5 bit which is .468" wide and just the right size for a 7/16 hex head on a 1/4-20 bolt. The cutting height was .150 so i had to lower

Click image for larger version

Name:	fetch?id=798585.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	841434

Leave a comment:

• RAV2
    replied
    Originally posted by wardprobst
    I like dedicated cutters and have made three. One is mounted on a file box I keep sandpaper in, just a hacksaw blade bolted to the top. Slide the paper under, pull up and you are done. The other two are mounted on blocks of UHMW plastic and sized for sanders we own- insert paper under hacksaw blade, line up with edge of block then tear. It's fast and old hacksaw blades are easy to come by here.
    DP
    Same here - hacksaw blade bolted to a piece of plywood...

Leave a comment:

• Condoman44
    replied
    I have an old paper cutter that I use. I noticed one day that the grid is actually a kerf in the table filled with some white material. I was able to dig out enough to put a temporary strip on tin as a gauge for my hand sanders. I have been using this method for many years.

Leave a comment:

• JimD
    replied
    I'm not sure it will work on a sanding belt but I fold sandpaper and insert a steel ruler. The ruler is "sharp" enough to cut the paper on the fold.

Leave a comment:

• atgcpaul
    replied
    Originally posted by leehljp
    Similar to Don. On most sheet SP, I usually cut from the back side with a knife.
    This is what I do. Create a crease where I want to cut it, then cut from the back side.

Leave a comment:

• Stytooner
    replied
    No. My dog house doesn't have a beer fridge.

Leave a comment:

• LCHIEN
    replied
    so, no one sneaks their wive's sewing scissors, eh?

Leave a comment:

• wardprobst
    replied
    I like dedicated cutters and have made three. One is mounted on a file box I keep sandpaper in, just a hacksaw blade bolted to the top. Slide the paper under, pull up and you are done. The other two are mounted on blocks of UHMW plastic and sized for sanders we own- insert paper under hacksaw blade, line up with edge of block then tear. It's fast and old hacksaw blades are easy to come by here.
    DP

Leave a comment:

• gerti
    replied
    Either a cheap pair of dedicated scissors, or when that isn't handy any sharp edge: formica or particle board, or a cast iron surface with a sharp edge (lathe bed, band saw table). Paper side down, hold on strong and pull down sharply one edge of the paper. Works most of the time, sometimes it doesn't tear clean. Usually when it's the last sheet and there are no spares..

Leave a comment:

• Daryl
    replied
    I fold back and forth a few times, then tear across the bench top.

Leave a comment:

• cwsmith
    replied
    I've never had to cut belts, but for other sandpaper I usually score the paper side with a utility knife, fold back and forth a couple of times, and tear. Sometimes, I might have to use a straight edge to keep the tear even.

Everytime I go to HF, my wife seems to have a coupon for something free (as well as at least a 20% discount coupon).

She gets so much "free" stuff, I can't keep track. But among that must be at least a couple dozen pairs of those scissors. (ten or so meters, screwdriver sets, gloves, etc.).

The scissors are pretty decent and if you foul one up, it can be a throw-away. But still, I keep using my old methods for cutting sandpaper.

CWS

Leave a comment:

• Bill in Buena Park
    replied
    I've been using a linoleum knife for many years. Fold the paper grit-out, and cut from inside the crease.

Leave a comment:

Working...