This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lrr
    replied
    I use the HF scissors for cutting sandpaper, also. I think I bought the last couple pairs for 99 cents. I've seen the same scissors at other stores for $6.99, but they do come in nicer packaging ...

These scissors, and the box of 100 nitrile gloves, are about the only thing I buy anymore from HF. I did buy one of their cordless drills for my sister-in-law ...

And I do occasionally buy from them if I need a tool that will see limited use, like an angle grinder. When the neighbor needs to borrow a tool, he is offered up one of the HF tools I have.

Leave a comment:

• Stytooner
    replied
    HF often has coupons for free utility scissors with purchase like Hank mentioned. I have a couple pair of those in the shop as well as some Fiskars shop scissors. The HF's cut sandpaper well. The Fiskars will not see sandpaper.

Leave a comment:

• LCHIEN
    replied
    ah good points made, cut the backside with a knife and avoid the grit, you can tear it the rest of the way.

Leave a comment:

• leehljp
    replied
    Similar to Don. On most sheet SP, I usually cut from the back side with a knife.

If I am cutting down 400 or higher, I will usually use the cheap sissors that HF gives away at sales. I have a bunch of them.

Leave a comment:

• Pappy
    replied
    Broken belts that I use for hand sanding I usually just tear a piece off. If I need a cleaner edge I either use scissors or cut it on the backing side with a utility knife. the utility knife works good and blades are cheap. I buy rolls to cut strips for the drum sander from and made an aluminum template to cut the ends.

When I need to cut down sheets of sandpaper, I have an old paper cutter in the shop dedicated for that job.

Leave a comment:

• Cochese
    replied
    I'd try a guillotine trimmer personally, one of the heavy duty ones. Makes it dead simple and replacement blades or sharpening should be a simple matter.

Leave a comment:

• LCHIEN
    started a topic what do you cut sandpaper with?

what do you cut sandpaper with?

I now have what seems to be a large number of 4" x 36" strips of sandpaper (used to be belts until the glue gave up). Guess they're going to become
    sanding blocks.

So, what would you cut them with?

Good Scissors? Seems like it would destroy the scissors pretty fast.
    $2 (el cheapo) scissors from Loews?
    Your wife's sewing scissors (when she's not looking)?
    Sheet metal cutters (tin snips)?
    Exacto/box cutter and guide?
    Make a sandpaper cutter with a hacksaw blade edge to rip it over?

or???
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 11-28-2013, 09:47 AM.
Working...