Clear All
  • aiyou
    SawdustZone Patron
    • Mar 2006
    • Charlotte, NC
    • BT3100

Miter Saw...What to Get?

Hello All.

Looking for the collective wisdom as to which miter saw to get. My budget is ~$200 and really don't want to go above $250.

I'm debating whether to get a 10" slider, and for that price range, that would likely be the Kobalt 10" Slider from Lowes or the Craftsman 21237 from Sears.

The alternative would be a 12" reconditioned from BigSkyTool, C12FCH or C12FDH . With BigSky, they also have the free shipping, and I believe I wouldn't have to pay any sales tax.

I don't have any room for a 12" slider.

I have no immediate need, but would plan on using it for longer pieces that I don't feel comfortable doing on the BT, and possibly some baseboards or crown molding down the road.

Due to the limited amount of time I currently get in the shop, I don't forsee outgrowing it, but I also don't want to settle for something that is going to let me down.

Input greatly appreciated.

Rob
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

I own a 10" CMS.
    If I had to get a new saw today I'd go for one of the 12" Hitachi saws you named from Big Sky for the price and 12" size.
    a 10" CMS can't quite cut a full sized 6" board (it will cut a dimensional 6" board - 5-1/2" OK), and can't get through a full 4x4. A 12" CMS can easily do both and more.
    But a 12" SCMS is so large front to back it would take a lot of space in the shop. ALso the mecahanics of a slider have to be very good to prevent any play affecting the cut angles.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 07-31-2013, 05:43 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• LinuxRandal
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2005
      • Independence, MO, USA.
      • bt3100

I have a 10" CMS because it cost me nothing, until I replaced the blade. If I were to spend on it, I would be buying the less expensive of the two 12" saws, which as of the time I am writing this, is the dual compound miter saw (what I would prefer anyway).
      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

I am not sure what the threads have been titled, but cms's have been discussed in great details on this site with lots of opinions. My opinions of cms are the same, you get less than you pay for. If you are going to depend on a less expensive/less accurate/less repeatability saw to cut expensive moldings, you will throw away enough money on wood due to unsatisfactory fits on the cuts to purchase a better saw. I currently use a 10" Hitachi csms and am not satisfied with the repeatability of it, even though all of the angles are clearly marked on the saw. Conditions like the wood holding ability on the fences and aproaches effect the quality of the cut. ie.... if you have the saw setting on the floor and use a couple of books to level up a long piece of molding you better have a truck load of molding because you will throw away a lot.
        capncarl

Comment

• BadeMillsap
          • Dec 2005
          • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
          • Grizzly G1023SL

Depends on what you really want to use it for ...

I needed a CSMS for the new shop and my old 10" CMS wasn't able to cut some of the wider boards I've been using ... I decided I wasn't going to use it for fine furniture fittings so decided to go with a cheaper Harbor Freight #69684 ... HF 12 inch CSMS

I got it for $129 on sale and bought a better blade from Amazon for $34.

You are correct that a 12" takes some space ... the pic shows my setup ... 8' from end to end and 36" deep ... I've been happy with the saw but it is LOUD ... I'm deaf so it works out alright in the end ...
          Attached Files
          Last edited by BadeMillsap; 07-31-2013, 02:22 PM. Reason: spelling
          "Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
          Bade Millsap
          Bulverde, Texas
          => Bade's Personal Web Log
          => Bade's Lutherie Web Log

Comment

• vaking
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2005
            • Montclair, NJ, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3100-1

Technically speaking you can cut moldings on a table saw. You will have to learn some math and get involved with compound angles to do it on table saw though. Main advantage of CMS is that it has more accuracy than most table saws and you don't need to deal with compound angles - with good quality CMS you can position molding straight on saws bed against the fence, adjust the saw for correct miter and bevel angles and cut. 12" CMS can cut a 6" molding well. 10 CMS cannot - maximum it can cut is about 4:. If you get sliding CMS instead of regular CMS - you will get ability to make wider cross cuts but you will actually lose a little bit in height. For instance, regular 10" CMS can cut 4-1/2" molding, but 10" SCMS can only cut 4" molding. So if ability to work with large moldings is important to you - get a 12"CMS (not sliding). If ability to make wider cross cut is important to you - sliding saw has advantage. If you don't have space for 12" slider - chose what matters most to you.
            Also technically speaking - sliding CMS is more complex than just CMS and I would expect that more complexity means less accuracy, but I have heard that things have improved lately and by now SCMS are reasonably accurate but I wouldn't knoiw it from experience. I only have a non-sliding 12" CMS and I like it.
            Alex V

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

I have a HF 12" SCMS, and a B&D 10" non slide. It took a bit of (actually a LOT) fiddling to get the HF dialed in right, and then I found out that thread locker is your best friend with this saw. Now that it is set right, and keeping the settings,

I have been fortunate to have had a chance to use several different makes / models friends have had on projects, and I have a real favorite...

If I had the need to replace, and the $$ to do so at this point, the 12" Hitachi dual bevel slider C12RSH from Big Sky Tool as a reconditioned saw. Throw a good blade at it, double check the settings, and call it good...

I somewhat doubt it is quite up to the par of say a Festool, but then again, the price tag of a Festool isn't there either...
              Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• JimD
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2003
                • Lexington, SC.

I have an inexpensive 10 inch "Pro-Tech" single bevel that I paid about $100 for a long time ago. If I am not in the shop that is the tool I use. In the shop I have the Hitachi dual bevel you linked. With a good blade, both are very accurate. I would be concerned with an inexpensive slider but not a pivoting saw. I've cut crown and base moldings on both saws as well as built furniture and both work fine. The advantage of the 12 inch is capacity and the dual bevel - which I seldom if ever use. Accuracy with a pivoting saw should be no issue. If it is, I would want to review the technique of the operator. They are relatively simple devices with very little play in the ones I have used. Sliders can have a LOT more play in them. If you are considering one, try to move the head with your hand. The easier you can push it around the harder it will be to be accurate.

Jim

Comment

• greenacres2
                  • Dec 2011
                  • La Porte, IN
                  • Ryobi BT3000

I finally tired of my old C-man miter saw--used a lot over 20+ years, but impossible to get anything other than 90 deg accurately. So--I ended up with a Dewalt 12" csms. Deciding factor was that my RAS was a dedicated cross-cut machine, the old cms was the same. The CSMS will cross-cut the same 12" as the RAS (up to 16" with a special set-up). It's only been a few weeks, and i'm still adjusting but it feels like a good move.

In my case, I got the DW718SP (special pricing) for $375 at HD (talked the guy down $25 by whining). Should get about $100 out of the RAS and $40-$50 out of the miter saw. Haven't listed them yet as I want to be certain this is what I want to do. More than I wanted to spend, but i'll recover some and gain a very small amount of footprint by replacing 2 machines. Mounted the new saw on a plywood base, mounted a folding miter saw stand (took off the folding legs) on the old RAS table I built. Works for now, but I can tell it's not a permanent fix!!

Good luck.
                  earl

Comment

• os1kne
                    • Jan 2003
                    • Atlanta, GA
                    • BT3100

I've had a 12" CMS for about the past 10 years. I've used it a lot of projects, but I'm not a pro. I built a deck using it this summer, cutting a lot of PT lumber of all sizes. If I were buying a new saw today, I'd definitely go with a 12" - I don't normally need the capacity of the 12", but it sure is nice to have when it is needed. (I'd try hard to swing a slider, but even a single-bevel 12" CMS is great. Good luck!
                    Bill

Comment

• aiyou
                      SawdustZone Patron
                      • Mar 2006
                      • Charlotte, NC
                      • BT3100

Much appreciated to all that have provided input.

Found out today that my father has the 10" Kobalt slider, and he likes it, but has a hard time maintaining settings. Not sure if it is technique or play in the sliding mechanism.

While drooling over the 12" Hitachi sliders at BigSky, which really aren't "that" far over my budget (read...I get the couch or dog house if one gets delivered), I did look at a new one at Lowes and, simply, its a beast for which I have no room.

Considering that I've not had one in the past, I think I will be leaning towards the 12" CMS from BigSky.

Again, thanks all.

Rob

Comment

• eezlock
                        • Feb 2006
                        • Charlotte,N.C.
                        • BT3100

miter saw...what to get?

A personal opinion here. I would get the saw that I would get the most use out of over one that would be , of little use. I know the advantages of 12 "vs 10" and all that, slider vs non slider what it comes down to is what do you really plan to use the saw for?

I bought a good quality Hitachi 10" compound miter saw from a tool shop
                        that had seen very little use for $85 or $90 bucks. After taking time to make
                        all the necessary adjustments for bevel cuts, 90 deg cuts and so on, this saw cuts like a dream! It performs like a saw costing $300 or more...I couldn't be happier with if it was a new one! My advice here is, check locally and see what is available....maybe at a really good deal if you take time to check it out, you may come up with a better saw for less money. I went on E-Replacement parts web site and they have a complete parts diagram, exploded views,part numbers and everything to order whatever you need.

I bought a replacement throat plate, material hold down clamp, and a couple
                        of M6 threaded wing bolts all for around $20 a good price to me. Hope this
                        helps in your decision.....eezlock

Comment

• capncarl
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2007
                          • Leesburg Georgia USA
                          • SawStop CTS

I have seen a number of Dewalt 12" scms's at pawn shops. If you have a shop you can deal with, this may also be a good source. I have scored on a number of high end tools that someone got in a tight and pawned.
                          capncarl

Comment

• greenacres2
                            • Dec 2011
                            • La Porte, IN
                            • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by capncarl
                            I have seen a number of Dewalt 12" scms's at pawn shops. If you have a shop you can deal with, this may also be a good source. I have scored on a number of high end tools that someone got in a tight and pawned.
                            capncarl
                            We have 2 pawn shops here (same owner). Tend to ask 80% to 90% of new street price, and I've not gotten them to move on that much. I don't know who they sell to, but it's not me!!

earl

Comment

• Cochese
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jun 2010

I have been happy with both of my Hitachis.
                              I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

Working...