• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greenacres2
    • Dec 2011
    • La Porte, IN
    • Ryobi BT3000

10" Rip Blades

I've been using a Freud Diablo (40 tooth) as a do-all combination blade, but i've got a fair amount of ripping to do in 4/4 hardwoods and some 8/4 poplar so it's time to consider a separate blade for ripping. Locally, about all i can get is Irwin (regular, not marathon or Marples) or Vermont American in a 24 tooth, so i need to get something ordered so i can get on the poplar soon.

I was about set to order a Freud Glue Line Rip (30 tooth, "Industrial" label), but did a little further looking before pulling the trigger for $58 at amazon (0r $55 for the thin kerf. Other choices include:

Freud Diable 24 tooth--advantage is that i could buy 2 for a few dollars more.

Forrest 20 tooth--pure rip blade at $80. I'm a hobbyist, but i'm thinking that may be the long-term value if i take care of it.

Forrest 30 tooth--at a tick over $100, reviews i saw a few sites were favorable as a rip blade, but maybe with the ability to do a civilized cross-cut.

Most of my miters and cross-cuts in lumber are done either on the RAS or miter saw. I don't do much sheet goods, but have few good 50-60 tooth blades on hand, and that's worth a blade change. If i were to spring for Forrest 30 might it be decent enough for a rare cross-cut and free the Freud 40 to go to the RAS to replace the no-name 50 toother that's on there now? Anybody here try the Forrest 30 tooth and willing to share thoughts??

Any input would be appreciated!! Thanks.
    earl
  • pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

I have a Forrest 30T and a 40T WWII, both thin kerf. The 30T does rip a lot better than the 40, but it still doesn't go as smoothly an my 24T Oshlun I got from Holbren. If I have a lot of ripping to do I'll put the 24T on.

The 30T WWII does do decent crosscuts, but it can leave tooth marks if I go too quickly. I usually leave it on my saw unless I have a lot of ripping to do, or when I want to make some fine crosscuts with my Dewalt crosscut blade. I think it's an 80T. I'd probably leave my 40T Forrest on the saw if it were sharp. Some day I'll send it out for sharpening and to get a couple chipped teeth fixed.

When using any combination blade (like a WWII) you will be making compromises, giving up certain qualities in favor of versatility.
    Erik

Comment

• JimD
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2003
      • Lexington, SC.

I have two Freud 24 tooth rip blades. One is thin and the other is full thickness. Both cut smooth enough for glueups. Both require much less effort to rip than a combination blade. The thin one a little less than the full width one.

Jim

Comment

• tommyt654
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2008

Might try Holbren, He's (Brian) a member here and we get a 10% discount when mentioning BT3 in your order,either way Brians a great guy to deal with and very good products on his site as well, heres a CMT blade thats in the range your looking for , http://www.holbren.com/cmt-itk-rippi...x5-8-bore.html , http://www.holbren.com/cmt-itk-gener...x5-8-bore.html , http://www.holbren.com/cmt-combinati...-5-8-bore.html he also sells many more give him a try , http://www.holbren.com/

Comment

• sweensdv
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • WI
          • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

I have that 30T Freud Glue Line blade and it would be fine for your 4/4 stock but no so good for the 8/4. The Freud LU87 would be one that could handle both thicknesses of wood you're wanting to rip.

Comment

• greenacres2
            • Dec 2011
            • La Porte, IN
            • Ryobi BT3000

Did i really put this in "Turning Talk"????

Wow, i was trying to squeeze this question into a busy day--meant to hit Tool Talk, not Turning Talk!! Glad at least a few folks figured out that i wasn't using a 10" blade in a lathe!!

Originally posted by pelligrini
            I have a Forrest 30T and a 40T WWII, both thin kerf. The 30T does rip a lot better than the 40, but it still doesn't go as smoothly an my 24T Oshlun I got from Holbren. If I have a lot of ripping to do I'll put the 24T on.
            Thanks to y'all for the feedback. Pelligrini makes quite a statement on the value of a rip blade--not that Oshlun's don't have a good rep, but i'd not have figured there to be that much difference between 24 and 30 teeth.

Thanks Tommy, i keep forgetting about Brian and really owe him a litlle business after the great deal on router bits from his personal stash last December.

earl

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by greenacres2
              Wow, i was trying to squeeze this question into a busy day--meant to hit Tool Talk, not Turning Talk!! ...

earl
              easily fixed.
              yfm,
              Loring
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• pelligrini
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2007
                • Fort Worth, TX
                • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by greenacres2
                Thanks to y'all for the feedback. Pelligrini makes quite a statement on the value of a rip blade--not that Oshlun's don't have a good rep, but i'd not have figured there to be that much difference between 24 and 30 teeth.
                It's not just the tooth count that makes the difference, but the grind and angle of the teeth, size of the gullets etc. That olshun I have doesn't produce the smoothest cuts, but it certainly does ripping quickly.
                Erik

Comment

• Knottscott
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2004
                  • Rochester, NY.
                  • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

If you're running a BT, I'd stick with a TK blade. I think the Oshlun ripper might be full kerf. Holbren will also have the CMT. Their 202.024.10 should be very good. The Irwin Marples is getting good marks, but I'd steer clear of the Irwin Marathon and Classic. The 30T WWII is excellent IMO. The LU87 should be great, as is the Infinity 010-124. The DeWalt DW7124PT Precision Trim is another option if you run into at a good price.
                  Last edited by Knottscott; 03-11-2013, 08:10 PM.
                  Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• Pappy
                    The Full Monte
                    • Dec 2002
                    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 (x2)

I also have the 24 t Freud Diablo. Does a good job.
                    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                    Fools because they have to say something.
                    Plato

Comment

• dbhost
                      Slow and steady
                      • Apr 2008
                      • League City, Texas
                      • Ryobi BT3100

I would steer clear of anything Vermont American makes for sure. Had nothing but bad luck with those...

My blade selection is pretty simple. Freud Diablo TK blades. 24T fir ripping, 40T for general purpose (laminates, ply, too lazy to swap blades around...) and 80T for crosscutting...

The 24T rips super clean, and super easy even with the paltry 1.5HP on the BT...
                      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• greenacres2
                        • Dec 2011
                        • La Porte, IN
                        • Ryobi BT3000

Ended up ordering a Freud 24 tooth TK (LU87) from amazon for $34.32. Probably won't make it in time for the weekend so i'll shift from the workbench build to tearing out the old fixed bench and building shelves in a corner to accept the current benchtop clutter!!

It's not like there's nothing to do, that's for sure.

Thanks for all your help.
                        earl

Comment

• tommyt654
                          Veteran Member
                          • Nov 2008

You can if your Home Depot has them in stock, for less btw , http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/1000707...specifications I really don't see much difference between this and the one you ordered, both TK, Both ripping blades,I really can't see the justification since we are only talking about ripping wood not a finish cut anyways, but either way enjoy the blade when it gets there
                          Last edited by tommyt654; 03-12-2013, 06:29 AM.

Comment

• jdon
                            Established Member
                            • Feb 2010
                            • Snoqualmie, Wash.
                            • BT3100

There are some [?slight] differences between the two Freud Diablo lines: http://lumberjocks.com/topics/25769

FWIW, I've been very happy with my LU87R010 blade (from Amazon)

Comment

• greenacres2
                              • Dec 2011
                              • La Porte, IN
                              • Ryobi BT3000

Thanks Tommy. I don't even look at HD for single items. Nearest store is over 30 miles, the fuel cost equivalent of $16 shipping cost, not counting time. I even count fuel when i look at spending small $$ at Lowe's, Menard's and Sear's--all 15 miles away ($8 fuel plus roughly an hour drive time).

If i'm headed that way, i'll stop for what i need. Otherwise--i work hard at not leaving my property except to go to work!! Racing season is coming and there's a HD about a mile off my route to Chicagoland Speedway--but i don't think they open until 0700 so i got to catch the right day.

earl

Comment

Working...