• Show
Clear All
  • charliex
    • Mar 2004
    • Spring Valley, MN, USA.
    • Sears equivelent BT3100-1

Do you have a tape measure?

Since we all enjoyed the screwdriver thread:

I just (this week) replaced a 10' with a busted latch and a 25' that wouldn't lock when extended because it was just plain wore out. They were my favorites for many years but they were becoming frustrating to use. My collection:

100'___ Shop
    50' ___Shop
    25' ___5 total___3 - shop. 1 - junk drawer in kitchen. 1- garage attic.
    16'___ 1 - car
    10' ___2 - shop. 1 a LV reads right to left, easy marking for right-hander's.
    3' - 6'___ 3 - Knitting basket. 2 - sewing room

One of the 6 footers was a $50.00 gift card from HD.
  • sweensdv
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • WI
    • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

I have almost too many to count but not one of them is the one I really want. FastCap makes the most useful ones IMO but I would like to see them make both their Lefty/Righty and FlatBack style tape measures in 10' length models. Can't remember the last time I had to measure anything longer than 10' for a project.

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

Just a few of the ones I could gather up. The Blum tape must be a collector's item by now.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	nec6lt.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	785739

Comment

• cabinetman
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

Only 3 members have tape measures?

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

Nope, I just missed this thread is all...

So far my tape stable looks like...
          25 foot Charcoal gray / black Craftsman (1989 purchase)
          25 foot Safety Orange Late 90s vintage. I bought it when I couldn't find the Craftsman.
          25 foot chrome "Workforce" tape from Lowes. I guess it is 5 years old or so. This was given to me by a friend that bought it, hated it, and tossed it in my truck...
          25 foot Harbor Freight tape. It was a freebie on a coupon...
          12 foot Workforce from Lowes.
          12 foot "Wells Fargo" that was a freebie from the Houston Home and Garden show...

I am positive there are other ones there, but those are the ones I can think of... For What it's worth, my late 90s Stanley is a far better tape then the new ones. The lines on the new ones are close to 1/16" thick, I mean REALLY bad... My HF tape is better than those junkers...
          Last edited by dbhost; 06-03-2011, 11:19 AM.
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• TB Roye
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2004
            • Sacramento, CA, USA.
            • BT3100

I have a 100 footer, 2 25ft. and couple of 10-12 footers and the fast cap flat one. Use them all as LOML is borrowing them and not returning them.
            Does a US Army Surplus range finder count?
            Tom

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
              Veteran Member
              • Oct 2006
              • On the TARDIS
              • BT 3100

I have around 13/14 tape's. Nothing special about them. I just need the extra because I'm always forgetting where I put them down.
              From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• jking
                • May 2003
                • Des Moines, IA.
                • BT3100

I have the following:

100' HF or Menards that I bought when I was working for an engineering firm.
                25' Stanley - this is the one I use the most.
                25' Workforce - backup
                25' unknown brand (christmas present) this is a fatmax style tape.
                16' from Ace bargain bin - I use this one at work when I need to go to the plant to look at parts.
                6' tape measure/level promo from Nebraska Furniture Mart. My wife & I each have one. They see little use.
                6' small tape. The case is in the shape of a tire. This belonged to one of my grandfathers. I don't actually use this one.

Comment

• Chris_B
                  Established Member
                  • Apr 2006
                  • Cupertino, CA

Originally posted by Richard in Smithville
                  I have around 13/14 tape's. Nothing special about them. I just need the extra because I'm always forgetting where I put them down.
                  +1

Eventually I will have a tape within arm's reach everywhere in the garage.

The only semi-unusual tape is a 100' steel Lufkin (similar to this but silver), which I used when laying-out our remodel. My favorite tape is a small Craftsman (1/2" blade) that is easy to pocket, but large enough to be usable.

Comment

• twistsol
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
                    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

I have a 100' and 2 25' stanley fat max that I can find. There ought to be two or three others around but they seem really elusive. I had a 35' until last weekend when I left a tool bucket out in the rain. Everything else was salvageable except the tape.
                    Chr's

Comment

• JR
                      The Full Monte
                      • Feb 2004
                      • Eugene, OR
                      • BT3000

I only have a few tapes, probably becaouse I don't have on in my knitting basket.

JR
                      JR

Comment

• jnesmith
                        • Jan 2003
                        • Tallahassee, FL, USA.

Originally posted by cabinetman
                        Only 3 members have tape measures?

I have 3. None are noteworthy.
                        John

Comment

• jabe
                          • Apr 2006
                          • Hilo, Hawaii
                          • Ryobi BT3000 & Delta Milwaukee 10" tilting Table circular saw

tape rule

I have 2 - 100', 1- 50', 6 -25', 2 -16', 1- 12'. I probably have some more hidden some where, will let U know when I find em. Funny how they sprout legs walk away and get lost.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                            Internet Fact Checker
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Katy, TX, USA.
                            • BT3000 vintage 1999

pretty lame subject. How exciting is a tape measure?

i have a 50-foot Stanley windup, a craftsman 16' a Millers falls 16' that looks exacltly like the craftsman, except the millers falls label fell off (funny how i can see the embossed name in the glue imprint left behind) and the lock doesn't work, that I got when i found it in the grass after the fence guys left at the previous house.
                            And an assortment of free ones that I keep in the glove compartments and kitchen drawers and desk drawer.
                            And I think a 25' one i bought at the box store that i never use because its too big and the 16 footer always works in the shop.

The most best thing about a tape measure most people don't know is that apparently loose, wobbly hook at the tip is actually that way on purpose, it has a slot so that if pushed into the tape it measures from the outside end of the hook, if pulled from the tape then it measures from the inside of the hook... the thickness of the hook is compensated for. Most (or many) people don't know that.
                            Last edited by LCHIEN; 06-03-2011, 07:48 PM.
                            Loring in Katy, TX USA
                            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cabinetman
                              • Jun 2006
                              • So. Florida
                              • Delta

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                              pretty lame subject. How exciting is a tape measure? i have a 50-foot Stanley windup, a craftsman 16' a Millers falls 16' that looks exacltly like the craftsman, except the millers falls label fell off (funny how i can see the embossed name in the glue imprint left behind) and the lock doesn't work, that I got when i found it in the grass after the fence guys left at the previous house.
                              And an assortment of free ones that I keep in the glove compartments and kitchen drawers and desk drawer.
                              And I think a 25' one i bought at the box store that i never use because its too big and the 16 footer always works in the shop.
                              For not liking the subject matter, you really got into it. You should return the tape to the fencing guys.

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                              The most best thing about a tape measure most people don't know is that apparently loose, wobbly hook at the tip is actually that way on purpose, it has a slot so that if pushed into the tape it measures from the outside end of the hook, if pulled from the tape then it measures from the inside of the hook... the thickness of the hook is compensated for. Most (or many) people don't know that.
                              That thickness is usually 1/16" (.0625)

Comment

Working...