• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Do You Have A Screwdriver?

Seems like a simple question. Not much discussion on screwdrivers, so I thought it's about time. Since the screwdriver has been around since the 15 century or thereabouts, it's likely one of the basic hand tools we still use today.

There are many designs... lengths, tips, handles, materials, colors, shapes and sizes, all designed to just insert/remove/turn screws. So, what have you got?

• Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

A set that was the first of my Crafstman tools, most of which have been replaced 2 or 3 times over the last 30 years or so. I also have several of the changable tip type srewdriver/nut drivers.
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato

Comment

• charliex
      • Mar 2004
      • Spring Valley, MN, USA.
      • Sears equivelent BT3100-1

Flat blade, Philips, the other one like Philips, Torx, square and all in numerous sizes. I use lot's of screws, pocket and other wise, so my wrists thank the gods of power for battery screwdrivers.

Comment

• sweensdv
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • WI
        • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

Originally posted by cabinetman
        There are many designs... lengths, tips, handles, materials, colors, shapes and sizes, all designed to just insert/remove/turn screws. So, what have you got?
        I've got far too many of them for my needs. About the only time I use one of those outdated old hand tools is for really small screws.

Comment

• Larryl
          Established Member
          • Jan 2004
          • Lorena, TX, USA.
          • Grizzly G0478 Hybrid

Do you have a screwdriver?

Drinks.......I thought you were asking about drink recipes.
          I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken.

Comment

• leehljp
            Just me
            • Dec 2002
            • Tunica, MS
            • BT3000/3100

I was thinking about this yesterday - in the negative! TOOO many variations. A regular flat blade or Philips did a lot of work 40 years ago, but wood, metal and plastic fabricators of all kinds began using specialty screws for different reasons, then the plethora of specialty shapes came into play. I know that each shape is taylor made for specific purpose.

However, in all of that, tooo many drivers are needed. I have three boxes of the 101 driver tips for different kinds of driver needs. I have two impact drivers in addition to about 30 - 40 screw drivers of different sizes and ends.

Is it worth it all? To me, yes. Just arriving back home (USA) recently, I have had lots of minor repairs to do. I can't remember which project it was, but last week I was thinking this: "If I had not had this specific bit, I would have had to spend about $40 - $60 to fix or more to buy this item new.

I still have the original flat blade and philips screw driver that I purchased when I was a teen - the first tools that I remember buying for myself.
            Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• twistsol
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
              • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

This one is my favorite. I bought it when I started repairing computers back in 1983, before computers were disposable. It is a basic offset phillips and the handle rotates so it is really fast taking screws in an out.

When my girls were little, they nicknamed it Mr. Wiggly.

Chr's

Comment

• pelligrini
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2007
                • Fort Worth, TX
                • Craftsman 21829

I've got many. Several sets of misc sized phillips & slots. I'd like to get a set of old wood handled sometime. I have 5 or so sets of driver bits small and large. My favourite one is a fairly new stanley ratcheting driver. It holds several driver bits on the handle.

I also have a Yankee 131. It's pretty big, but it does do the job well. I picked up a hex bit adapter for it from Lee Valley. I was using it last weekend when we were setting up 40+ dart boards for a big tournament. A couple people brought their drill/drivers, but forgot to charge them. My 131 knocked the boards out in no time.

I'd like to pick up a smaller Yankee sometime too.
                Erik

Comment

• cabinetman
                  Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                  • Jun 2006
                  • So. Florida
                  • Delta

Anyone have one of these keychain screwdrivers given out in the 50's? Bruce probably has one.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3342.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	4.9 KB
ID:	785730

Comment

• bullethead1964
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Feb 2006
                    • texas
                    • Craftsman (Emerson era)

Classic Craftsman red/clear/blue screwdrivers. Have a drawer full.
                    I said I want to touch the earth
                    I want to break it in my hands
                    I want to grow something wild and unruly

http://www.PictureTrail.com/gid6255915

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

here's a picture of my screwdriver drawer in the tool box. Its a big picture so you can click on it and see a detailed view.
                      Mostly, based around a set of Craftsman screwdrivers that was a special 50th anniversary set in 1975 - looks like the classic clear/blue/red sets but these were clear/black handles with gold writing and gold plated shafts. Some of the tips have chipped the plating and the handles have yellowed with age but its still a handsome set. Also a set of Excelite screwdrivers, they make tools for electronics industry and industrial use mostly.
                      A bunch of small drivers, short handled and long handled right angle, drivers of various pedigrees. The PVC pipe piece is a DIY wingnut driver.
                      Also in the back, two Yankee drivers and a push drill. A few screw starting drivers.
                      On the right, some Torx drivers, some micro screwdrivers and apparently a set of hex bits (HF, 100 piece security bit set, I think).

Socket nut drivers and allen wrenches have a drawers to themselves.

My other toolboxes generally have a set of craftsman screwdrivers in them. And I have a 3 sets of craftsman screw drivers (5 pc straight, 5 pc phillips, 5 pc torx for $5 each normally $10 ea) bought on sale just in case the world ended yesterday.

Screwdriver trivia: Did you know that screwdrivers are polarized, there's plus screwdrivers and minus screwdrivers? If you don't believe me, look at the tip end of a phillips and a straight-bladed screwdriver from the end on view.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by LCHIEN; 05-22-2011, 09:01 AM.
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA
                      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• LCHIEN
                        Internet Fact Checker
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Katy, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 vintage 1999

And I recently got a set of these:
                        (Garrett Wade, gunsmith screwdrivers)

Loring in Katy, TX USA
                        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• TB Roye
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2004
                          • Sacramento, CA, USA.
                          • BT3100

Had a few last night watching the all star race and waiting for the Rapture and the End. Now this morning all I have is a headace. Oh! and a lot of scew drivers of all types in the garage and shop. Man I have to put a suit on and usher at Church this morning, that's the price you pay for having screwdrivers the night before,

Tom

Comment

• eezlock
                            • Feb 2006
                            • Charlotte,N.C.
                            • BT3100

do you have a screwdriver?

Twistol, yes I have those same "wiggly" screwdriver(s), phillips and flat blade. I bought the flat blade version when I was doing electrical work.It really came in handy when you have to install a bunch of switches and receptacles in a house or building...makes a boring task easier and faster for sure!

Comment

• Tom Slick
                              Veteran Member
                              • May 2005
                              • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
                              • sears BT3 clone

Most of my screwdrivers are Craftsman but I have about 4 sets. I also have Husky and Klein sets. I like Klein the best but my newest Craftsman Professional set is very nice.
                              Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

Working...