Do you unplug your drill press when changing bits?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

i guess i'm not alone...over 90% do the same.

i guess by concensus it's not very dangerous/risky behavior.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• smorris
      • Apr 2003
      • Tampa, Florida, USA.

I unplug it when chucking something like a hole saw or fly-cutter just because they look scary and that makes me think to do it. Otherwise, no.
      --
      Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice

Comment

• BobSch
        • Aug 2004
        • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
        • BT3100

Add me to the list of those who don't unplug when changing bits.

I do unplug when changing belts. Saw a guy lose a finger between a belt and pulley once. Don't want to see it twice!
        Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• woodturner
          Veteran Member
          • Jun 2008
          • Western Pennsylvania
          • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by herb fellows
          it's relatively easy to remove your hand if it does happen
          I assume you didn't mean that the way it sounded

I do know a guy who lost most of his hand in a drill press accident.
          --------------------------------------------------
          Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• All Thumbs
            Established Member
            • Oct 2009
            • Penn Hills, PA
            • BT3K/Saw-Stop

Originally posted by woodturner
            I assume you didn't mean that the way it sounded

I do know a guy who lost most of his hand in a drill press accident.
            Oh my. Just as I think it is safe to leave the press plugged in this bombshell appears. How did he lose his hand?

Comment

• LinuxRandal
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2005
              • Independence, MO, USA.
              • bt3100

Your hand is above the cutting surface normally, and below the switch. My father has a little (built in) benchtop, and due to its setup, the drillpress is on a switched outlet. Not physically unplugged but one would have to turn it and the outlet on.

One could just as easily use a link belt and disconnect a link, as unplug it. Then turning it on, wouldn't matter.
              She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Stytooner
                Roll Tide RIP Lee
                • Dec 2002
                • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                • BT3100

I saw a guy get his hand caught in a DP with a wood bit installed. It was a step bit for boring 1/2" holes and a screw pilot for plugs later.
                I had just warned him less than 30 minutes before to take off his gloves.
                It twisted his fingers backward around the bit and broke them in several places as well as cuts and wrist injuries.

I don't unplug them though. I have my DP's set with the belt rather loose. If it hits any type of bind it will just slip on the pulley.

This also help bits last longer as the bits are doing all the work and not being forced to cut by the motor.
                Nothing gets slung around on my presses. It may wear the belts a bit more, but I think its a good safe trade off.
                Lee

Comment

• capncarl
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2007
                  • Leesburg Georgia USA
                  • SawStop CTS

Why unplug a drill press? The chuck key would only break 3 or 4 fingers.
                  My drill/mill has the same stupid switch as the bt3 and I would not trust it as far as it throws a piece of wood.
                  capncarl

Comment

• All Thumbs
                    Established Member
                    • Oct 2009
                    • Penn Hills, PA
                    • BT3K/Saw-Stop

Originally posted by Stytooner
                    I don't unplug them though. I have my DP's set with the belt rather loose. If it hits any type of bind it will just slip on the pulley.

When I started to read this thread I thought I would keep my drill press plugged in when changing bits which I already was doing. Now I think I will unlpug it.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by All Thumbs
                      Oh my. Just as I think it is safe to leave the press plugged in this bombshell appears. How did he lose his hand?
                      Most serious drill press accidents happen when drilling metal items.
                      When the bit starts to break through the backside it frequently grabs the piece as the fingers of what was the bottom of the hole grab the flutes in the bit.

If the piece is not well clamped to the table or long enough to be braced against the center column then the piece will swing around with 1/2 HP motor behind it. If it has sharp edges it will slice you to **** if you are holding on to the piece by hand and in its way.

Fortunately wood does not behave this way although it tends to make you lazy when drilling metal.

The other dangerous thing about DPs is getting your hand caught in the pulleys. That might cut a hand off.

So when drilling metal items, ALWAYS clamp it to the table and if long enough, brace the piece against the column so it won't spin when the bit breaks through. BE SAFE!
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA
                      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• JoeyGee
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 2005
                        • Sylvania, OH, USA.
                        • BT3100-1

Yes, I always unplug it. I have forced myself into the habit of always unplugging everything when I change a bit, blade, etc.

Of course, I never leave anything plugged in, ever, when I am not physically at the machine and using it. Yes, I am a bit anal with it, but it's a good thing.

I have little kids, and I don't want any accidents. They are not the kind to mess with things that they know not to, but all it takes is once, and the neighbor kids are over a lot.
                        Joe

Comment

• Len
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Sep 2007
                          • Cary, NC
                          • BT3000

Like CWSmith I unplug to move the belts for speed changes, but not for bit changes. With both hands involved in the bit change, and the switch is so far from the chuck, it's never struck me as necessary.

Len

Comment

• woodturner
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jun 2008
                            • Western Pennsylvania
                            • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by All Thumbs
                            He was using a large (1/2", IIRC) twist bit. The motor started unexpectedly, due to a fault in the switch, and the bit started to drill into his hand. The skin, tendons, etc. wrapped around the bit and it basically just unravelled the tissue in his hand, broke the bones etc. Took all of maybe 20 seconds - just long enough for us to hear the scream and hit the emergency stop.

The flesh was just shredded, not much the doctors could do to save it. He lost all four fingers and most of the thumb. He was left with a stubby thumb and about half of his palm.
                            --------------------------------------------------
                            Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• Stytooner
                              Roll Tide RIP Lee
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                              • BT3100

No matter who says what, switches fail. I had a switch on my floor DP fail today, but in a good way. It fell down and turned off. The spring inside has apparently broken. Switches fail and to be safe, the best way to do things is to disconnect at the power source.
                              Though I don't do that now, I will be able to when my new shop is completed this fall with a little luck. I plan on having all receptacles at the 48" height above benches. Okay in an actual dedicated shop I think.
                              Lee

Comment

• All Thumbs
                                Established Member
                                • Oct 2009
                                • Penn Hills, PA
                                • BT3K/Saw-Stop

Originally posted by woodturner
                                The flesh was just shredded, not much the doctors could do to save it. He lost all four fingers and most of the thumb. He was left with a stubby thumb and about half of his palm.
                                That sounds terrible. Just to much damage must have been a mess.

Comment

Working...