Do you unplug your drill press when changing bits?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Do you unplug your drill press when changing bits?

I unplug the table saw when changing blades.
    I unplug the router when changing bits.
    But I don't ever seem to unplug the drill press when changing bits.
    Maybe it seems less dangerous or maybe the tip velocity is less (compared to 100 mph for TS blade or 25000 RPM for a router. And in a drilling operation I frequently change bits, much more often than with the TS or router.

So what's your behavior?
    Yes, always or almost always
    6.49%
    Sometimes
    4.55%
    No, never or almost never
    88.96%

The poll is expired.

Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • Tom Slick
    Veteran Member
    • May 2005
    • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
    • sears BT3 clone

I don't unplug, even if it turns on the injury will be minor.
    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• herb fellows
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2007
      • New York City
      • bt3100

It's not a blade, it's not particularly moving quickly, it's relatively easy to remove your hand if it does happen, it's pretty tough to hit the switch when you are working below the head of the machine....

Is it completely safe? NO. Each individual must decide what risk he/she is willing to deal with. In 45 years, I have never been bit by a drill press, so I have to say for me, it's an acceptable risk.
      You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

I guess i have to add upon further reflection, I don't unplug it when changing the belts for speed chanegs, either.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• RodKirby
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
          • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

Ditto, ditto Loring
          Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

Comment

• leehljp
            Just me
            • Dec 2002
            • Tunica, MS
            • BT3000/3100

Same for me as you Loring. Never thought of it like that - Unplug routers and saws but not drills.

Shucks I have even turned the drill on with the key stuck in it - and more than once too!
            Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• cwsmith
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2005
              • NY Southern Tier, USA.
              • BT3100-1

Interesting question, and obviously one which I haven't given much thought to either.

I never unplug the DP when changing drill bits, but I do when I'm changing belt position. I certainly wouldn't want to loose a finger in the pulley. I guess like many of you, I don't consider the bit change as being all that dangerous. I have a Ridgid DP1550, and the key is spring loaded so you can't leave it in the chuck and I guess if it somehow started while I was changing a bit, the key would simply fly out as it pulled away from my hand (hopefully leaving my fingers behind and still attached to my hand).

But, every other tool I have (RAS, table saw, router, etc.) gets unplugged before I change a blade or do anything else with the tool. Cordless saw gets the battery removed.

Also, as standard practice every tool in the shop is unplugged when not in use. I'm not exactly sure how I got into that habit, but there's just something about leaving any of them plugged in that makes me a bit nervous. I've even gotten into the practice of going back to the basement shop at night to double check that nothing is left plugged in, including the drill press.

CWS
              Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

I hate to admit it, but it is a RARE happening that I unplug a drill, or a drill press when changing bits. Heck I even unplug my jig saw when swapping blades around. Why not drills?

Now I am gonna be paranoid...
                Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• cabinetman
                  Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                  • Jun 2006
                  • So. Florida
                  • Delta

Routers are the only tool I'll unplug for a bit change.

DISCLAIMER: The methods used in the maintenance and operation of power driven machinery and tools, such as changing bits, cutters, blades, or discs should follow the procedures outlined in the owners manual for the particular tool. Procedures used by others should not be taken as a suggestion or as an alternative to what is recommended by the manufacturer. If an operator will feel more safe in unplugging a certain tool, or, removing the cord from the tool, or tripping the circuit breaker, or, removing the circuit breaker, or removing the entire service panel, or, having the power company shut off service to the site where the changing of the bit will take place, then that step may be advisable for the expected safety the operator may desire.

Comment

• sweensdv
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2002
                    • WI
                    • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

Nope, never. I also don't remove the battery from my drill/driver or impact driver when changing bits nor do I unplug my corded drills either.

Comment

• chopnhack
                      Veteran Member
                      • Oct 2006
                      • Florida
                      • Ryobi BT3100

LOL @ Cabman's disclaimer - where do you get those?!
                      I am in the same camp as the rest, guilty of never unplugging the DP. I always unplug the router and t.s. though..
                      I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• DrChas
                        Established Member
                        • Aug 2003
                        • Burlington, Vt, USA.

I don't unplug my stationary tools when changing bits or blades, but I do remove the safety lock so it can't be turned on accidentally. When my router is on the table I switch it off both at the remote switch and at the switch on the router before changing bits. When using it free hand I will unplug it to change bits.

I used to love the BT3K for that. It was very convenient to unplug it at the side of the saw, plus when I used the attached router table I would plug the router into the saw socket, and use the saw as my remote switch.

Comment

• jking
                          • May 2003
                          • Des Moines, IA.
                          • BT3100

As I see it, the danger in a drill press lies less in getting injured from the bit & much more in getting injured by having a piece of clothing (glove, sleeve, etc.) caught in the rotating equipment. Unlike a hand drill, where instintively you would let go of the power switch, a drill press is on until you reach up & turn it off. The flip side is that it is very unlikely for a drill press to be accidentally turned on while changing bits.

Comment

• Daryl
                            • May 2004

I don't unplug it, I even turn it on to give a power assist when installing a new bit.
                            Sometimes the old man passed out and left the am radio on so I got to hear the oldie songs and current event kind of things

Comment

• atgcpaul
                              Veteran Member
                              • Aug 2003
                              • Maryland
                              • Grizzly 1023SLX

Woops. Accidentally hit Sometimes on my iPod. Meant to vote Never. Does this mean I should start unplugging it?

I only unplug my router, usually the jigsaw, always my biscuit joiner, and my CMS when changing bits or blades.

Comment

Working...