• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Box joint bit ?

I tried out a box joint bit today just a bit.
    Have a new Woodpecker coping sled to go with it.
    The finger joint bit is a $25 one from an Amazon supplier, much cheaper than the others brands which start at around $75.

Supposed to have 5/32 fingers which is what they measure but the spacing between fingers appears to be 11/64 (1/64th more than the fingers) which makes a loose fit.

Does anyone know if there are some small spacers to remove between the five wings? They call it an "adjustable" bit...

Going to have to take it apart later.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Now that i've taken it apart and made some caliper measurements I know why this bit is a third the price of others...

I wanted to play with a bit like this for making some shallow trays.
    It was 1/3 the cost of other similar bits, but i took a chance anyway.
    I cut the first cuts, it was a VERY loose fit, for this kind of joint you want a nice snug fit - that's part of the point of buying a bit with all the fingers to cut in one pass.

Well the nominal 5/32 wings should be .156" but measured about .162 and and the resulting slots cut around .172"
    The fingers should on a good day measure the same as the above spacing between the fingers, but measured about .142. All measurements around +/-.005 grouping.

So it appears that the wings are a bit oversize and worse not quite planar. Taking it apart, there is a thick spacer between wings and one or two shims (.01 and .02 shims) so I'm going to have to find some .030 stock and make some shims to make more fat fingers to get more snug fitting joints.

I may make this work but for the low bucks but it appears that the machining tolerances are just not there. You have to do a lot of work to tune it up.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• Larryl
      Established Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Lorena, TX, USA.
      • Grizzly G0478 Hybrid

Loring, thanks for the review. Again, it looks like you usually get what you pay for when buying cheap tools.
      I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

box joint bit

well, I got the $25 bit all shimmed right, they all fix snugly.
        Looking all over for some shim material, turns out some old expired credit cards i had were about .029" so i cut them into shims.

The New Woodpecker coping sled is nice. And i built a new router fence for the occassion, including a good dust port. Once i got it all adjusted, i was able to cut four 3/8" boards at a time - used the extra clamp to hold them together with a backer board as you can see.

Fortunately I got mine on sale last year when they first came out at the woodworking show.
        Because of the extreme height of the bit and the height of the workpieces (1.75"), I had to shim the clamping beam of the coping sled up by 1/4" - you can see the shims between the black beam and the red extruded T-tracks the beam rides on.

In that last picture, the last test fit I missed getting the boards to match height by .010".
        To fix that I had to raise the router bit .005", half the difference. That was 1/3 of the 1/64ths (which is .016) marking on the Bosch 1617EVS height adjustment knob... very touchy - but it worked.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by LCHIEN; 03-22-2010, 11:24 PM.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• phi1l
          • Oct 2009
          • Madison, WI

So .. if you have all the shims in the way it came, you could use it for making an interleaved wood hinge?

Comment

• JR
            The Full Monte
            • Feb 2004
            • Eugene, OR
            • BT3000

That's a heckuva setup, Loring! Looks nice.

JR
            JR

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
              The Full Monte
              • May 2007
              • Sunshine State
              • BT3000

Love the stuff Woodpeckers sells. Always very well built.

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2007
                • Buena Park, CA
                • CM 21829

Looks good Loring. Short of using credit cards... where might you locate the .030 spacers?
                Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Bill in Buena Park
                  Looks good Loring. Short of using credit cards... where might you locate the .030 spacers?
                  they had some sheet metal in various thicknesses at Lowes but it was outrageously priced. I saw some shim brass on eBay and Amazon but I had to buy a big roll for a lot of bucks. I walked around the house for a couple of days with calipers in hand looking for stuff, I sure hope the plastic doesn't cold flow under pressure...
                  Last edited by LCHIEN; 03-23-2010, 02:25 AM.
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by phi1l
                    So .. if you have all the shims in the way it came, you could use it for making an interleaved wood hinge?
                    (LOL) yeah, it was really, really loose.
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• leehljp
                      Just me
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Tunica, MS
                      • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by Bill in Buena Park
                      I got some a long time ago made by CMT (here).
                      I have the CMT cutter (back in the States.)
                      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• LCHIEN
                        Internet Fact Checker
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Katy, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 vintage 1999

yep, Hank, sure enough those CMT shims would have worked, 8mm ID x 14mm OD and .1, .2, and .3mm thick (.3 mm = .011"; .2mm = .008"; .1mm = .004")
                        I would have needed .030" ~= .3 mm +.3 mm + .2 mm = .031"
                        or 12 spacers total or about $20 worth of spacers at $1.70 each. I think the scrap credit cards were a bit cheaper.
                        Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                          The Full Monte
                          • May 2007
                          • Sunshine State
                          • BT3000

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                          I think the scrap credit cards were a bit cheaper.
                          Depends on what you did with 'em before you scrapped 'em...

Comment

• leehljp
                            Just me
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Tunica, MS
                            • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                            I think the scrap credit cards were a bit cheaper.
                            They were cheaper back in the late 90's for sure. I am also sure it would have been cheaper all the way around to use the credit card's physical properties than its numerical values!
                            Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• cgallery
                              Veteran Member
                              • Sep 2004
                              • Milwaukee, WI
                              • BT3K

Nice job, those joints are going to look terrific. Do you cut to the final depth in a single pass, or do you move the fence once or more to get to the final depth?

Also, what are the I.D. and O.D. of the original shims? Are they metric?

Comment

Working...