X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • phi1l
    • Oct 2009
    • Madison, WI

Originally posted by Bill in Buena Park
    Looks good Loring. Short of using credit cards... where might you locate the .030 spacers?

My milk Carton plastic is 0.015.

2L soft drink bottle plastic is in that area as well...

Those are both blow-molded so you results may vary.

8 layers of 20# bind copier paper is 0.029"
    Last edited by phi1l; 03-23-2010, 10:04 AM.

Comment

• pelligrini
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2007
      • Fort Worth, TX
      • Craftsman 21829

Another good source for small metal shims are the cheap feeler guages from HF.

This HF automotive body shim assortment is pretty handy too:
      Last edited by pelligrini; 03-23-2010, 10:40 AM.
      Erik

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by phi1l
        My milk Carton plastic is 0.015.

2L soft drink bottle plastic is in that area as well...

Those are both blow-molded so you results may vary.

8 layers of 20# bind copier paper is 0.029"
        8-layers of new $1 US bills (actually any denomination $5, 10, 20 etc.) are .032"
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2007
          • Buena Park, CA
          • CM 21829

Originally posted by LCHIEN
          8-layers of new $1 US bills (actually any denomination $5, 10, 20 etc.) are .032"
          I like the idea of putting a dollar to good use. So you'd need to get 35 shims from the dollar... which works out to ~2.9 cents each.

Does anyone know if Brian H. sells something similar to the stock spacers?

(edit: Found this, but no description. Waiting on call back from Brian. http://www.holbren.com/whiteside-shim-washer-kit.html)
          Last edited by Bill in Buena Park; 03-23-2010, 11:48 AM.
          Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• Mr__Bill
            Veteran Member
            • May 2007
            • Tacoma, WA
            • BT3000

Originally posted by Bill in Buena Park
            Looks good Loring. Short of using credit cards... where might you locate the .030 spacers?

When, in the past, I need shim stock I just asked a friend who was a machinist. I expect a good machine shop would have it in various thicknesses and be able to just cut off a piece for you. Of course you may have to repair his dining room table to pay for it.

Another thought is Teflon, that too was available in thicknesses ranging from thinner than tissue paper to millable blocks. When the bit heats up the credit card stock may get soft and the cutters loosen up on the spindle. After some use the quality of the joint may deteriorate.

Bill
            over here in the sun

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Mr__Bill
              When, in the past, I need shim stock I just asked a friend who was a machinist. I expect a good machine shop would have it in various thicknesses and be able to just cut off a piece for you. Of course you may have to repair his dining room table to pay for it.

Another thought is Teflon, that too was available in thicknesses ranging from thinner than tissue paper to millable blocks. When the bit heats up the credit card stock may get soft and the cutters loosen up on the spindle. After some use the quality of the joint may deteriorate.

Bill
              over here in the sun
              yeah, i'm a little worried about the plastic long term, but it seems to be OK.
              I don't know any machinists offhand. I found rolls of brass shim stock in sizes from 1 mil up to 20 or more mils. But it was like $10 a roll plus shipping and i might have needed a couple of sizes. Didn't want to spend $25 shimming up a $25 bit... haha.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• cgallery
                Veteran Member
                • Sep 2004
                • Milwaukee, WI
                • BT3K

What is the I.D. and O.D. required?

Comment

• Mr__Bill
                  Veteran Member
                  • May 2007
                  • Tacoma, WA
                  • BT3000

Didn't want to spend $25 shimming up a $25 bit... haha.
                  You'll never make it in government with that attitude

You could just lap brass washers until they are the right thickness, could be a bit time consuming though.

An auto parts store that does machining may have the stock too.

Bill
                  Ever notice that when you factor time into a buying decision you pay yourself full rate?

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Mr__Bill
                    ...Ever notice that when you factor time into a buying decision you pay yourself full rate?
                    nah, most of the time i shortchange myself. I put several days into making this bit work so i could save $50.
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• phi1l
                      • Oct 2009
                      • Madison, WI

22 gauge steel is 0.0299"

20 ga. Aluminum is 0.0320"

Here's the chart

Comment

• LCHIEN
                        Internet Fact Checker
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Katy, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by phi1l
                        22 gauge steel is 0.0299"

20 ga. Aluminum is 0.0320"

Here's the chart

its not that i couldn't find any, its that i couldn't find any that wouldn't have cost $15-20. That's about what Lowes wanted for a 6x24" sheet of that stuff.
                        Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• pelligrini
                          Veteran Member
                          • Apr 2007
                          • Fort Worth, TX
                          • Craftsman 21829

I don't know if the case anymore, but I used to get small sheets of aluminium, steel & brass as well as strips, tubes and rods at some hobby stores back when I was making architectural models. Michaels used to carry some, but a mom and pop shop carried quite a bit.
                          Erik

Comment

• LCHIEN
                            Internet Fact Checker
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Katy, TX, USA.
                            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by cgallery
                            Nice job, those joints are going to look terrific. Do you cut to the final depth in a single pass, or do you move the fence once or more to get to the final depth?

Also, what are the I.D. and O.D. of the original shims? Are they metric?
                            Phil,
                            I didn't mean to ignore the question - i had to wait to get home to verify my memory.

The threaded arbor measures 5/16", it's SAE, I'm pretty sure by looking.
                            The large, thick spacers are 0.625" OD, exactly 5/8"

The thin supplied shims are .01" and .02" thick are 8mm ID x 13mm OD, seemingly metricish. Inch measurements are .315" and .520" respectively.

I made the cut in one pass. Had to go a little slow, but it was a hair over 3/8".
                            Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• phi1l
                              • Oct 2009
                              • Madison, WI

its not that i couldn't find any, its that i couldn't find any that wouldn't have cost $15-20. That's about what Lowes wanted for a 6x24" sheet of that stuff.
                              Wow, really??? Up here at Menards they have 4"x 18" pieces for around $5-$8... bummer....

Comment

• cgallery
                                Veteran Member
                                • Sep 2004
                                • Milwaukee, WI
                                • BT3K

Phil,
                                I didn't mean to ignore the question - i had to wait to get home to verify my memory.

The threaded arbor measures 5/16", it's SAE, I'm pretty sure by looking.
                                The large, thick spacers are 0.625" OD, exactly 5/8"

The thin supplied shims are .01" and .02" thick are 8mm ID x 13mm OD, seemingly metricish. Inch measurements are .315" and .520" respectively.

I made the cut in one pass. Had to go a little slow, but it was a hair over 3/8".
                                Yeah, I figured that after posting the second time. Duh. Sorry.

I was going to order one of those bits if I could find off-the-shelf shims that weren't too expensive. McMaster has some that are close but no cigar (all the numbers match but the I.D., which is 3/8").

Those joints are amazing, I think they'd be great for storage trays, etc.

I guess I'll wait for a follow-up and see how the credit card shims are holding up. If they continue to work for you I'll give it shot.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...