• toolguy1000
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2009
    • westchester cnty, ny

craftsman granite top hybrid table saw

anybody seen one of these yet:

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...04952478eHGlDk

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...04952478pTlkKE

store staff in the yonkers, ny sears store sais it had just arrived, and they only had the pictured display unit (notcardboard packaging under unit).
    there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.
  • Charlie
    Banned
    • Jul 2009

Deleted by me.
    Last edited by Charlie; 10-24-2009, 09:07 AM.

Comment

• Ed62
      The Full Monte
      • Oct 2006
      • NW Indiana
      • BT3K

I saw something about that, but can't remember where. It does not even show up on the Sears site.

Ed
      Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• Knottscott
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2004
        • Rochester, NY.
        • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Still looks like it's made by Steel City/Orion. Did you see what fence it comes with?

They also have a new lower end hybrid (21833) that does not resemble the SC/Orion made saws (reg. retail $549):
        Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• toolguy1000
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2009
          • westchester cnty, ny

the store had no info on the saw pictured in teh first post. nothing on price, availability, model number, fence, rails or miter gauge. all they could say was, "here it is. it's the only one we have and that's all we know about it".
          there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

there you go, the head office accidentally shipped them an engineering sample/prototype.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• headhunter636
              Established Member
              • Jul 2004
              • Federal Way, WA
              • Ryobi BT 3000

The Sears store here in Seattle had one as well, but it had a big chunk of granite missing on one of the corners. I can't remember what the price was, but I remember it didn't seem to bad, I think it fell in line with the Ridgid granite top model.
              Dave

BT3000

"98% of all statistics are made up"

Comment

• MilDoc

I was wondering how easy it might be to damage the granite top?

Comment

• Knottscott
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2004
                  • Rochester, NY.
                  • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

I used a 3/4" slab of granite as a tool bench for > 3 years without a scratch. It's supposedly fairly easy to repair.
                  Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• tkarlmann
                    Established Member
                    • Dec 2003
                    • Hoffman Estates, IL, USA.
                    • BT3100

Granite tops for tools?

Well, OK, they don't rust. Now, how do I attach my side table extensions to it? I don't see any screw holes on the sides of the granite. I'm supposed to drill into that granite top?

What are the advantages of Granite?

All the lil magnetic gizmo's for your table saw won't work -- just like my BT3100.

What do I do when I drop something heavy on the edge & it chips?

Oh, BTW, this isn't unique -- Ridgid has one too:
                    http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/R4511-Ta...w/EN/index.htm

Your thoughts?
                    Last edited by tkarlmann; 10-25-2009, 02:25 AM.
                    Thom

Comment

• Knottscott
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2004
                      • Rochester, NY.
                      • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Thom - The theoretical advantages are no rust, flatter, less prone to movement, and are heavier. It really shouldn't chip all that easily but is repairable. I'm not convinced that it's better overall than cast iron, but am just pointing out the alleged benefits. Most owners seem to like them so far. The wings are supported:

That saw looks a lot like the Steel City 35930...SC's Orion division makes the current SC, Ridgid, and Craftsman hybrids, though the newest 21833 does not appear to be an Orion made saw.

Comment

• toolguy1000
                        Veteran Member
                        • Mar 2009
                        • westchester cnty, ny

fwiw, finally found a picture of the subject saw:

http://s.sears.com/is/image/Sears/00...sm=0.9,0.5,0,0

comes with a small outfeed table. not a bad looking saw; just wish the rails and fence were on the one i saw in NY as the pictured fence seems to have a biesmeier look about it. oddly, the sears website doesn'tlist a price for it, but another comparison shopping site showed a price of $949.

Comment

• dbhost
                          Slow and steady
                          • Apr 2008
                          • League City, Texas
                          • Ryobi BT3100

It uses a splitter instead of a riving knife? I didn't think there were going to be any more new table saw models without riving knives...
                          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• cgallery
                            Veteran Member
                            • Sep 2004
                            • Milwaukee, WI
                            • BT3K

Originally posted by dbhost
                            It uses a splitter instead of a riving knife? I didn't think there were going to be any more new table saw models without riving knives...
                            Yeah, something's not right here.

Maybe Orion is just looking for outlet to blow-out their current splitter-based inventory to make room for the RK versions?
                            Last edited by cgallery; 10-30-2009, 05:40 PM.

Comment

• toolguy1000
                              Veteran Member
                              • Mar 2009
                              • westchester cnty, ny

i suspect the photo that is online of the subject saw may not be current. here is the owner's manual:

http://www.managemyhome.com//mmh/lis...M/L0910286.pdf

this indicates a riving knife which is supported by the mention of a riving knife in the specifications section of the saw's web page.

Comment

Working...