Table saw upgrade decision

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • poolhound
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2006
    • 3196
    • Phoenix, AZ
    • BT3100

    #31
    Originally posted by Carlos
    Anybody have an opinion on General brand saws? Seems kind of like Grizzly in many ways. I found a deal on the model 50-175M1 hybrid saw for $450. Thoughts? Great fence, nice iron table, 2HP motor.
    Is that the one off our local CL? The pics show no tables I take it that he does have them!!
    Dont know much about this saw but it is still a contractor saw so if you are not going all the way to a cabinet saw it may be worth a comparison with the current deal on the ridgid (IIRC only 1 1/2 HP but lots of good features). At $399 new with warranty etc it may be worth considering.

    Talk to RMEDAD he just got one but not sure if he has it fully assembled yet.
    Jon

    Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat
    ________________________________

    We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
    techzibits.com

    Comment

    • Carlos
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • 1893
      • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

      #32
      The reasons for this over the Ridgid would be the fence and the overall very high rating given to the General in the magazines.

      Contractor or hybrid? They and one of the mags call it a hybrid. I have no idea what that means. I actually don't know what "cabinet saw" means other than a closed stand, which seems irrelevant. What I think is relevant is heavy cast tables and decent power, along with a great fence. The BT fails on the tables terribly, and the fence is good but not great. Power is fine for most things.

      Comment

      • poolhound
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2006
        • 3196
        • Phoenix, AZ
        • BT3100

        #33
        So Carlos, I see your BT is up for sale. Did you make a decision on your "Dark Side" saw?
        Jon

        Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat
        ________________________________

        We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
        techzibits.com

        Comment

        • Carlos
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2004
          • 1893
          • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

          #34
          Patience paid off, and today I picked up a Unisaw with Biesemeyer fence for $500. The extended table top is in rough condition and the HDPE strips on the fence could use replacement. It's mechanically sound, works fine. Someone listed it on CL as just "a Delta table saw" and with the $500 price nobody else called him, probably assuming it was the contractor model. Which is funny, because the $750-900 Unisaws get sold in minutes (I literally called a guy 30 minutes after he posted one for $750 and it was gone).

          Now to do some wiring to accomodate it, and some tuning.

          Comment

          • Knottscott
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2004
            • 3815
            • Rochester, NY.
            • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

            #35
            Originally posted by Carlos
            Patience paid off, and today I picked up a Unisaw with Biesemeyer fence for $500. The extended table top is in rough condition and the HDPE strips on the fence could use replacement. It's mechanically sound, works fine. Someone listed it on CL as just "a Delta table saw" and with the $500 price nobody else called him, probably assuming it was the contractor model. Which is funny, because the $750-900 Unisaws get sold in minutes (I literally called a guy 30 minutes after he posted one for $750 and it was gone).

            Now to do some wiring to accomodate it, and some tuning.
            Sounds great Carlos. I'd love to see some "before and after" pics...
            Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

            Comment

            • SARGE..g-47

              #36
              The extended table top is in rough condition and the HDPE strips on the fence could use replacement. It's mechanically sound, works fine...

              Carlos.. Carlos.. Carlos.... you stole the saw@ $500 if the extention table and HDPE strips are the most you can find to worry about. Now.. do the right thing and go turn yourself in to the proper authorities and tell them you stole a TS.

              Comment

              • poolhound
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2006
                • 3196
                • Phoenix, AZ
                • BT3100

                #37
                Great catch Carlos which U-Saw is it? How many HP? If it comes with A Beis fence and an extended one at that - thats a cool deal
                Jon

                Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat
                ________________________________

                We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                techzibits.com

                Comment

                • Carlos
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2004
                  • 1893
                  • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

                  #38
                  3HP, model 36-812, which is called "Unisaw special edition" in the owner's manual. Not sure what that means. I think I can live with having to replace the extended table top. I can probably get cut off countertop for near nothing. Hopefully the HDPE strips are in stock at the local shop/service facility, and I'm set. They don't *have* to be replaced, but the fence just doesn't slide smoothly. It has the 52" fence.

                  Oh, and the splitter and guard are missing, which is fine, since my intention has always been to go with an aftermarket system with DC. Now to figure out which one to buy...

                  Comment

                  Working...