• Show
Clear All
  • radhak
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Miramar, FL
    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Is the Rotozip worth buying?

Saw a 'brand new' Rotozip SC01 on CL for $35.

I recall mixed reviews about this tool. What exactly can it do, and what can't it?

The Fein multimaster might be a better option for some, but not for shallow pockets like mine ...
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

It is worth it for that price. I wouldn't buy it full price. I own one, got it as a gift years ago. It is a great drywall cutter, though noisy. It will also cut wood up to about 1/2" thick. I tried 3/4 ply more than once and all it did was burn the bit. I've never tried cutting tile but supposedly you can. Mine has the grinding/cutting wheel attachment, I've never used it. If the stock is thin enoiugh it is easier to steer than a jigsaw and doesn't need a starter hole, but doesn't track as straight a line.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• JoeyGee
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2005
      • Sylvania, OH, USA.
      • BT3100-1

And here it is...the annual Christmas Rotozip thread .
      Joe

Comment

• Ed62
        The Full Monte
        • Oct 2006
        • NW Indiana
        • BT3K

I've had one for maybe 3 years or so. Probably used it 2 or 3 times. Good for drywall or other light stuff. It's not a tool I couldn't do without.

Ed
        Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• vaking
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2005
          • Montclair, NJ, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3100-1

Motor in rotozip is basically same as in most laminate trimmers. it spins the bit at 30000 rpm, close to laminate trimmer. It comes with 1/8" and 1/4" collets, so it can take router bits with 1/4" shank and dremel/rotozip bits with 1/8" shanks. Speed is not variable natively but works with router speed controls. It does not come with any decent router bases, out of the box there is only attachement that works only with drywal cutting. I have a dremel plunge base that fits my rotozip. Combined with this base it comes close to full functionality of laminate trimmer. Plunge action and depth control are crude but it is usable to edge wood surface. If you have a laminate trimmer - I would definitely skip rotozip. If you don't - you probably still will be better off buying a normal trimmer - for woodworking trimmer has better controls. If you do a lot of drywall construction - that is a different story.
          Alex V

Comment

• tjr
            Established Member
            • Oct 2008
            • at the falls of the Ohio
            • BT3000 (1 3/4 of them)

I have one of the pre-Bosch cordless Rotozips that I picked up on a whim a few years back. It's really best as a drywall cutter, and maybe tile - the other stuff you could do with it, you'd most likely be happier using some other tool. Rotozip will cut thin wood, but a sabre saw works better. And I find it's a bit hard to control for drywall because the tool is pretty heavy, it cuts very fast, and it's got that gyroscopic spinning business going on.

If you've got a dremel or equiv, you can just chuck a Zip bit in that and cut the occasional drywall freehand. I think dremel even makes an attachment that gives a bit of depth control.

Comment

• cabinetman
              Gone but not Forgotten RIP
              • Jun 2006
              • So. Florida
              • Delta

What will it do that a laminate trimmer can't do?

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                The Full Monte
                • May 2007
                • Sunshine State
                • BT3000

I don't use mine much. Every once in a while, I go looking for it, just to make sure I still have it...

Comment

• radhak
                  Veteran Member
                  • Apr 2006
                  • Miramar, FL
                  • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Like CM asked - looks like a trim router would do most of what it does. I have two trim routers. Could I use them instead?
                  It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
                  - Aristotle

Comment

• jhart
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2004
                    • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                    • BT3100

Originally posted by radhak
                    Like CM asked - looks like a trim router would do most of what it does. I have two trim routers. Could I use them instead?

If I were going to be using it to cut a lot of drywall, I don't think I would use my Bosch colt as there's just too much dust and I think it could really foul up the motor. The Roto Zip is better encased for that purpose.

I got a Roto Zip kit about 4 years ago and it sits in it's case about 99.9% of the time. Just don't think about using it for many jobs, and I do a lot of fixing up type jobs with the apartments I own.

For $35 though, it's a pretty good price.
                    Joe
                    "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

i think its one of those products that make the rounds for Christmas, it videos well cutting everything in sight, its the right price range so a slick sales campaign can hook all the wives and kids who are desperate to buy something for their hubby/father who does som handiwork. Looks like the do-all end-all too from the ads.

In reality its a not that great at anything, there are specialty tools that do better at most tasks.

Anyway, that's my impression.
                      OTOH, I'd probably rather get one of these than an electrically operated clamp or electrically-adjustable adjustable wrench (Yes, B&D sold those the last few years at Christmas time).
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA
                      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• phrog
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jul 2005
                        • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

I've had one for several years. I've used it a number of times to cut holes with the circular hole cutting attachment. You can cut holes several inches in diameter with this attachment (which came with my kit) and it does a very good job in this regard. It will not cut deep and it is hard to cut a straight line unless you use a jig. Great for dry wall.
                        Richard
                        Richard

Comment

• docrowan
                          • Mar 2007
                          • New Albany, MS
                          • BT3100

I got a Dremel version of the Rotozip for Christmas one year and I've tried it on 4 or 5 projects over the past 4 or 5 years. Apparently my short-term memory is something less than a year, because about once a year I'll haul it out and try using it on some project and wind up with a disaster. Back on the shelf it goes for another year. I don't do a lot of drywall, but the little I do I find a utility knife is more accurate, lots less noisy, creates far less dust, and is almost as fast (or faster when you factor in the set up time).
                          - Chris.

Comment

• dbhost
                            Slow and steady
                            • Apr 2008
                            • League City, Texas
                            • Ryobi BT3100

For the money, I'd pick up a cheap Dremel copy and just burn a mess of those up... Wally World sells a B&D Dremel clone for something like $12.00 on sale...
                            Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                              Veteran Member
                              • Nov 2007
                              • Buena Park, CA
                              • CM 21829

Mine sits on the shelf. It'll probably be handy when I get back to drywalling, and I've heard its supposed to work OK for grout removal with the right bit - I have some of that to do, so I'm hoping it works faster/better than a grout saw.

Otherwise, its relegated to a space by my sawzall - "fast & dirty con/de-struction tools" that add no value in the woodshop.
                              Bill in Buena Park

Comment

Working...