Grizzly drill press table any good?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • LCHIEN
    Super Moderator
    • Dec 2002
    • 22085
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

    #16
    [quote=hermit;378208]
    Originally posted by LCHIEN
    The fence was too high, my elevation crank handles kept hitting it when the work was close to a sutable drilling height. Rod kirby tells me that I should remove all but one handle from the elevation crank - he doesn't use them but I use all three of them.

    QUOTE]

    Loring, funny you should mention this, for years I put up with this problem, then a couple weeks ago, it dawned on me to remove 2 of the handles. voila problem solve for me! don't know why it took so long to figure it out.

    DB, fyi, heres one I made for my new floor model. I laminated 1/2" on 3/4" mdf which gave me the perfect replaceable insert depth. I now have a t slot in the fence, made with a t slot router bit.

    Todd
    yet i see in the picture you post at least two handles still on the DP.

    I like using all three handles, first because in drilling deep holes up tot he stroke of the DP, I need to turn the crank all the way around, not like some drivers who swivel the wheel of their car in one motion, I like to use hand over hand for better control.
    Second pulling down gives me more control esp. when cutting thin or fragile materials I can better feel/apply/control the pressure.
    Sorry, I need all three.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

    Comment

    • dewi1219
      Established Member
      • Dec 2005
      • 307
      • Birmingham, AL

      #17
      If you have a HF nearby, they have a very similar (if not identical) table. Price is a few dollars more, but I got a 15% off email coupon today that is good through 11/20.
      http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=96395

      Comment

      • dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • 9562
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

        #18
        Yep, saw that. The MDF it's milled out of has exposed ends. Wouldn't trust that it won't swell up like Paris Hilton's head the first time the humidity got over 50%.
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

        Comment

        • THyman
          Established Member
          • Feb 2005
          • 315
          • Atlanta, Georgia, USA

          #19
          Originally posted by Greg in Maryland
          Hi

          I built this table for for my drill press: Drill Press Table. It is from issue number 94 of ShopNotes.

          Some elements of construction:
          • Two 3/4 inch plywood pieces laminated together then topped with formica.

          • Two T tracks for the fence.

          • There is a replaceable table insert made of MDF to drill into.

          • The fence is made from Hard Maple with T track.

          • There are four cutouts to assist in clamping of the work.

          There were more bells and whistles to the plan, like dust collection, drawer, etc, that I chose not to incorporate.

          I am at the point in my woodworking "career" that the trial and error experience of building shop jigs, fixtures and cabinets far out weighs the convenience of purchasing the same thing. I would rather make mistakes on something for the shop that for that piece of award winning woodworking for my wife. (not that I have anything award winning yet!)

          I can post pictures if that would be helpful.

          Greg
          I built the same thing with the drawer and dust collection. The dc actually works pretty good and as Greg mentioned it gave me a chance to improve my skills. If you do build this, i would go with a circular insert and have it offset so you can turn the insert to get the most out of it.
          War Eagle!

          Comment

          • jhgrady
            Established Member
            • Jul 2003
            • 297
            • Alexandria, Va, USA.

            #20
            I have the Grizzly drill press table, very pleased with it

            John

            Comment

            • dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • 9562
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

              #21
              Got it, (Thanks Loring!) Mounted it right up, put my smallest bit in, and the smallest piece I would be willing to drill on the DP and ran the table up. Plenty of clearance for actual use. In theory though, my post threads will run the table nearly into the chuck... So not a good comparison. In a real scenario it seems okay...

              I am going to make some inserts before I get busy with the DP though. Don't want the entire table to be a sacrifical piece you know...
              Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

              Comment

              • Northerner
                Forum Newbie
                • Jun 2009
                • 5
                • Vermillion, South Dakota
                • Craftsman 22124

                #22
                has anyone else bought the Grizzly DP table in the past 7-8 months?
                its really hard to pass it up for the price, im a wood-noob and i like
                to do a lot of research before making any purchase and these forums
                are invaluable to me for gathering info from all you veterans that have
                experience in this area.
                thanks for any info you can give.

                Comment

                Working...